PDA

View Full Version : Appropriate disposal of wheels?

mecse
03-18-2015, 02:50 PM
OK folks,

I have a pair of Shimano wheels that I chewed threw over the years - roughly 20k miles, and the rims are gone. No biggie.

How does one dispose of these things, in terms of garbage/recycling?

(I have a project or two lined up for the hubs, but I figure at worst, they end up in the metal recycling bin, as pulled apart as I can make 'em, etc)

thanks,
Robert

thegunner
03-18-2015, 02:52 PM
um... can i buy rims to lace them to?

that said, just put them in the trash can next to the bench area and put a basura sticker on it (serious)

Cicli
03-18-2015, 02:55 PM
Clean them up and make hangers out of them?

josephr
03-18-2015, 03:22 PM
aluminum, right? recycle bin!

aramis
03-18-2015, 03:48 PM

Yeah I just throw trashed rims in the recycling can.

rcnute
03-18-2015, 03:49 PM
They make bean trellises.

Ryan

mikemowbz
03-19-2015, 12:15 AM
They make bean trellises.

Ryan

Or hops, if you're into homebrew.

Fashion yrself a (sorta-) geodesic dome...though that might take more than just the pair.

Michael Maddox
03-19-2015, 07:22 AM
And then, there's always EATING it....

http://tailgatefan.cbslocal.com/2012/10/01/michel-lotito-the-man-who-ate-an-airplane-and-everything-else/

oldpotatoe
03-19-2015, 07:35 AM
OK folks,

I have a pair of Shimano wheels that I chewed threw over the years - roughly 20k miles, and the rims are gone. No biggie.

How does one dispose of these things, in terms of garbage/recycling?

(I have a project or two lined up for the hubs, but I figure at worst, they end up in the metal recycling bin, as pulled apart as I can make 'em, etc)

thanks,
Robert

Are they hubs that can be rebuilt into a new wheelset or unique to that wheelset? If the former, build a set of wheels. If not, strip for parts, cones, axles and such and find an ALU recycler for the rims/hubs.

keevon
03-19-2015, 09:55 AM
Got a kid? Make a mobile!

http://decorhacks.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/11039.jpg

zennmotion
03-19-2015, 10:39 AM
If you have the patience, deconstruct them and give the spokes to you local bike co-op for spares, if the hubs aren't proprietary and use ordinary j-spokes they can be rebuilt into wheels. I cut worn rims in half and use them for cold frames draped in plastic sheeting for the garden- I can get the greens planted a few weeks early and preserve them into the early winter as well- nothing like fresh sweet arugula in December or later (in N Virginia anyway). I have given parts to Bikes for the World as well, as long as they're useable they can accept them- e.g. hubs with complete internals, spokes in complete sets of 32/36 that are labeled for length and wrapped neatly together. A local mechanic can re-use a lot of this stuff- if it's safe (no worn out rims ready to blow!)

mecse
03-19-2015, 11:18 AM

The rims in this case are Shimano RS-80s ; Carbon + Aluminium.

mecse
03-19-2015, 11:20 AM
If you have the patience, deconstruct them and give the spokes to you local bike co-op for spares, if the hubs aren't proprietary and use ordinary j-spokes they can be rebuilt into wheels. I cut worn rims in half and use them for cold frames draped in plastic sheeting for the garden- I can get the greens planted a few weeks early and preserve them into the early winter as well- nothing like fresh sweet arugula in December or later (in N Virginia anyway). I have given parts to Bikes for the World as well, as long as they're useable they can accept them- e.g. hubs with complete internals, spokes in complete sets of 32/36 that are labeled for length and wrapped neatly together. A local mechanic can re-use a lot of this stuff- if it's safe (no worn out rims ready to blow!)

The rims are totally ready to blow, but the hubs still rolled smooth and lovely.

cdn_bacon
03-20-2015, 01:50 PM
post a free ad on kijiji or CL and people will take em.

mecse
03-20-2015, 02:13 PM
post a free ad on kijiji or CL and people will take em.

I figure; the hubs I think I can re-use. the rims... Well, I suspect that anyone that uses them is going to blow them. :(

oldpotatoe
03-21-2015, 05:46 AM
The rims in this case are Shimano RS-80s ; Carbon + Aluminium.

WEll, you could probably find rims and have a wheelbuilder rebuild them. The spokes and nipps could be reused. Proprietary spokes/rims so can't rebuild to anything else.