PDA

View Full Version : how to add "grippy dots/patches" to cloth gloves?

wallymann
03-18-2015, 08:35 AM
i have some knit/cloth overgloves i use on the bike. they're not bike specific, so they're a tiny fraction of the cost of "real" cycling gloves.

the one thing they lack is grip on the fingers/palms.

looking for some sort of permanent and durable compound i can judiciously dribble or spread or otherwise apply as needed for grip.

is this as simple as buying a small tube of silicone or urethane adhesive caulk? it seems caulk would be too thick to apply neatly. there's gotta be something made for this very purpose!

staggerwing
03-18-2015, 09:43 AM
Have you ever done any silk screening?

First thought would be to find an old, aluminum window screen. Place object/glove to receive treatment on table, put screen on top, place bead of silicone caulk on top of screen at boundary of object, draw bead of caulk across object with a squeegee. Carefully pull screen from object.

Might practice on something not important first.

Also, 100% silicone caulk cleans up well with mineral spirits.

Fatty
03-18-2015, 10:17 AM
Glue dots ?
They would stick to your gloves, might want to stick to the bar though.

Cicli
03-18-2015, 10:41 AM
Glue dots ?
They would stick to your gloves, might want to stick to the bar though.

Maybe with a hot glue gun?

kramnnim
03-18-2015, 10:55 AM
Silicone caulk will make it grippy. It would not be easy to make it look nice...

A lot of string knit work gloves have grippy coatings?

gdw
03-18-2015, 10:56 AM
Mixing mineral spirits and silicon caulk, 1-1 to 3-1 ratio, produces a pretty grippy surface when it dries. The mix adheres to nylon fabrics like cordura and x-pac and should work on cloth as well.

jmoore
03-18-2015, 11:55 AM
How much are gloves with grippy dots? Seems like a lot of trouble to figure out a DIY project when you could likely find them cheaper at Grainger or somewhere like that.

Quick search:
http://www.grainger.com/product/WEST-CHESTER-GLOVE-Knit-Gloves-34VC51?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/34VC51_AW01?$smthumb$

wallymann
03-18-2015, 12:25 PM
man, that's a great price! i thought my cheapie 5-pair-for-$5 at the drug-store was cheap. these have the dots already. thanks!

How much are gloves with grippy dots? Seems like a lot of trouble to figure out a DIY project when you could likely find them cheaper at Grainger or somewhere like that.

Peter P.
03-18-2015, 02:38 PM
I have a pair of Pearl Izumi winter gloves. The grippy palm treatment rubbed off in short order.

I tried silicone caulk after reading about it on a bike forum I can't recall the name of.

It dried to hard and began to crack and fall off in a week or two.

There IS a grippy treatment out there meant to put on gloves, the bottom of socks, etc. It's not available in the U.S.

So I'm left with slippery gloves and I too, am looking for a solution.

vqdriver
03-18-2015, 03:08 PM
hot glue gun?

gdw
03-18-2015, 03:21 PM
"I tried silicone caulk after reading about it on a bike forum I can't recall the name of. It dried to hard and began to crack and fall off in a week or two."

Did you thin the silicon with mineral spirits?

If you don't want to try it again you can use Puffy Paint. Do a Google search on "Puffy Paint non skid treatment" and you'll find instructions on how to apply it. I've never tried it but it works on cloth and might work with nylon.

kramnnim
03-18-2015, 03:26 PM
The caulk needs to be 100% silicone, not acrylic with silicone added. If you rub it in to fabric it won't come off. A blob plopped onto the surface will. If it cracks, it wasn't pure silicone, the stuff is very flexible.

(I've applied hundreds of tubes of the stuff at work and have lots of work clothes with silicone "stains".)

Louis
03-18-2015, 07:35 PM
If Plasti-Dip is good enough for Barbie, it's good enough for your hands.

Just get a few cans and stick your hands in directly, no need for gloves.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/BL8UFAoqx-I/hqdefault.jpg

http://cdn.instructables.com/F9R/Z4KQ/GYQFHJA7/F9RZ4KQGYQFHJA7.LARGE.jpg