PDA

View Full Version : the lack of 1" threadless stems is a bummer

bicycletricycle
03-18-2015, 08:34 AM
I really don't like shims. An ideal machine should be put together from parts designed to mate with each other. This makes bikes with 1" threadless steerer tubes sort of a challenge especially if the frame is made with smaller diameter tubes. A 1.125" stem with shim can look a little out of proportion to standard size top and head tubes. The options seem to be older road bike stems from when this was a cutting edge size, ITM big one, cinelli alter or sesamo, etc. or welded stems from salsa, kelly, moots, litespeed, serotta? etc.

anyone have any favorite options for 1" threadless builds.

maybe someday someone like compass will order a batch of nitto fillet brazed stems in this size.

oldpotatoe
03-18-2015, 08:39 AM
I really don't like shims. An ideal machine should be put together from parts designed to mate with each other. This makes bikes with 1" threadless steerer tubes sort of a challenge especially if the frame is made with smaller diameter tubes. A 1.125" stem with shim can look a little out of proportion to standard size top and head tubes. The options seem to be older road bike stems from when this was a cutting edge size, ITM big one, cinelli alter or sesamo, etc. or welded stems from salsa, kelly, moots, litespeed, serotta? etc.

maybe someday someone like compass will order a batch of nitto fillet brazed stems in this size.

Talk to Mark Nobilette or Sean Walling(SoulCraft) and have them make you one. Probably others.

Look585
03-18-2015, 08:43 AM
I find this annoying as well. Shims are functionally fine, aesthetically poor.

A custom steel (1" steerer, 31.8mm clamp) stem is in my future.

djg21
03-18-2015, 08:47 AM

I use Thomson X2 stems on all my bikes, and use a Thomson shim on my one bike with a 1" steerer. The shim works fine and the Thomson stem looks good. Granted, the bike rarely is off of my Computrainer.

bicycletricycle
03-18-2015, 08:49 AM
custom is obviously an option, a really expensive option........

ultraman6970
03-18-2015, 08:54 AM
What about quill with oversize clamp?

KVN
03-18-2015, 08:57 AM
Kelly stems are not that expensive. $135 on their website for a 1" stem.

ergott
03-18-2015, 09:00 AM
I find this annoying as well. Shims are functionally fine, aesthetically poor.

A custom steel (1" steerer, 31.8mm clamp) stem is in my future.

You don't even see the shim. You use a 1 1/8" top cap and the shim must have a shorter stack height than the stem. Where is it unsightly?

guido
03-18-2015, 09:03 AM
Get Eric at Winter Bicycles to make you one you will be proud to show off.

Look585
03-18-2015, 09:11 AM
You don't even see the shim. You use a 1 1/8" top cap and the shim must have a shorter stack height than the stem. Where is it unsightly?

A nice thin 1" headtube with a chunky 1.125" stem has bad "flow". I know, this isn't a big problem, but a shimless execution would be an improvement.

sashae
03-18-2015, 09:12 AM
Ritchey WCS is the slimmest profile and looks great IMO.

Mark McM
03-18-2015, 09:40 AM
the lack of 1" threadless stems is a bummer

And while we're at it, how come it's become so hard to find a good buggy whip these days?

bicycletricycle
03-18-2015, 09:50 AM
what are you trying to say? if you don't have the trendiest newest **** you don't have any rights?

if i rode buggies and was on a buggy forum then i guess i might write a post about the lack of good buggy whips.

what would a buggy forum be called?

Mikej
03-18-2015, 09:58 AM
Its just economics -not enough demand

classtimesailer
03-18-2015, 10:02 AM
It is a bummer. I had trouble finding one in 120mm and tried a NOS Kelley in 130. I'd gladly trade that -17 degree 130 for a 110 or 120. I rattle canned it red and rode it for one season. There is a -17 TANGE stem in 1 inch and 26mm clamp that can be found on the web but I never pursued it and I think it was expensive. A really nice custom stem would be great but at the same price as a custom threaded fork I'm leaning toward a new fork.

eBAUMANN
03-18-2015, 10:02 AM
depending on the specs you need, there is usually something floating around...i know i have at least one steelman 1" in the bin.

thwart
03-18-2015, 10:03 AM

VSalon?

… just kidding… :D

donevwil
03-18-2015, 10:11 AM
Salsa steel and, for mega-bling, a polished Ibis Ti. I'm still holding one of each in case I ever get another 1" threadless bike.

I went quill on my last steel custom due to the reasons you state.

Mikej
03-18-2015, 10:11 AM
[QUOTE=thwart;1726553]VSalon?

… just kidding… :D[/QUO

Funny

Mark McM
03-18-2015, 10:20 AM
what are you trying to say? if you don't have the trendiest newest **** you don't have any rights?

When did it become a right to get any specific product you wanted for a (voluntary) pastime, even if it was no longer popular enough for most manufacturers to produce? Both 1" steerers and quill stems have largely become obsoleted on high quality bicycles, and not for no reason.

An individual may have their preference for these designs for their own reasons, but they have to understand that by going against popular demand they have to take on the extra burden of sourcing uncommon parts.

I have a classic rotary dial telephone that I like to use. When I switched my telephone service from traditional land line to an Internet VOIP service, I discovered that EMT modems don't support rotary dialing. Did the EMT modem manufacturers violate my rights to use my telephone? Of course not.

(I ended up getting an inline pulse-to-tone convertor box to continue using my phone, but I completely understand that the burden of acquiring and using the converter is completely on me.)

e-RICHIE
03-18-2015, 10:43 AM
I went 100% threadless in 1996 and have shimmed ever since. I think of it as me doing my
share to help the industry water itself down into a true "Three sizes fits most" mentality atmo.

ps

arrange disorder

:):):cool:
:cool::cool:;)
:cool::cool::p

bicycletricycle
03-18-2015, 10:51 AM
i meant my right to craft a well written message lamenting the lack of options for my outdated bicycles.

:)

also, rotary telephones are the best

When did it become a right to get any specific product you wanted for a (voluntary) pastime, even if it was no longer popular enough for most manufacturers to produce? Both 1" steerers and quill stems have largely become obsoleted on high quality bicycles, and not for no reason.

An individual may have their preference for these designs for their own reasons, but they have to understand that by going against popular demand they have to take on the extra burden of sourcing uncommon parts.

I have a classic rotary dial telephone that I like to use. When I switched my telephone service from traditional land line to an Internet VOIP service, I discovered that EMT modems don't support rotary dialing. Did the EMT modem manufacturers violate my rights to use my telephone? Of course not.

(I ended up getting an inline pulse-to-tone convertor box to continue using my phone, but I completely understand that the burden of acquiring and using the converter is completely on me.)

bicycletricycle
03-18-2015, 10:55 AM
did you ever ask oval to make you 1" stems?

I admit that the shim is a small thing (in size and in visual impact)

along the lines of "three sizes fits most"

what about a nice aluminum 30.6mm oval post for Uber over size frames

I went 100% threadless in 1996 and have shimmed ever since. I think of it as me doing my
share to help the industry water itself down into a true "Three sizes fits most" mentality atmo.

ps

arrange disorder

:):):cool:
:cool::cool:;)
:cool::cool::p

10-4
03-18-2015, 11:09 AM
Dammit. Late to the party and my sarcasm was beat to the punch.

edukaycheon
03-18-2015, 11:31 AM
http://i.imgur.com/fu5IPSgl.jpg

Thomson X2, Thomson shim, Crane bell to get in the way, but I don't think the shim is so noticeable unless you're looking for it

DHallerman
03-18-2015, 11:34 AM

Spam?

(Oh, Mr. Twart did this joke better -- it was a joke, right? -- but I hadn't seen it.)

guyintense
03-18-2015, 11:38 AM
I wonder if in a few years we'll be lamenting the fact that you can't find 1 1/8 inch stems anymore.

bluesea
03-18-2015, 11:56 AM
Ritchey -17° threadless stems are about the slimmest and less offensive. Otoh its *really* hard to acetone all of the labels off. :mad:

bicycletricycle
03-18-2015, 12:03 PM
soon we are gunna have some 1.75 to 1.5 tapered steerers with big old stems and those 34.9 deda bars.

oh well, they will probably work great

e-RICHIE
03-18-2015, 12:03 PM
did you ever ask oval to make you 1" stems?

I admit that the shim is a small thing (in size and in visual impact)

along the lines of "three sizes fits most"

what about a nice aluminum 30.6mm oval post for Uber over size frames

The O.C. parts were all for 28.6mm steerers and I shimmed them. But after Morgan
sold the company some 5-6 years ago, I lost track of what they offered atmo.

Mark McM
03-18-2015, 01:32 PM
I wonder if in a few years we'll be lamenting the fact that you can't find 1 1/8 inch stems anymore.

Hey, at least the 1 1/8" standard has stuck around for a few years, and had (has?) wide support. Unlike the Iron Horse I bought in the mid '90s, which had a 1 1/4" threaded headset and quill stem, which was supported only for a year or two. But, at least the contemporary threadless steerers/stems are far easier to adapt to other size standards than threaded steerers/quill stems.

RedRider
03-18-2015, 02:43 PM
A few years ago, I bought a frame with a 1" steerer tube just so I could use a Cinelli Alter stem... with cowgirl pinup sticker!

fogrider
03-18-2015, 10:50 PM

seems like nitto still makes them http://store.fairweather.cc/store/p25/UI-7_INTEGRATED_STEM_by_NITTO.html

christian
03-19-2015, 04:50 AM
Vintage phone forum!

merckx
03-19-2015, 05:05 AM
A shim is not a bother for me. However, the incongruent aesthetics of big honking stem hanging from a lithe steel frame is criminal. I have found that the Deda Newton is probably the least offensive stem for a steel frame.

ERK55
03-19-2015, 05:19 AM
seems like nitto still makes them http://store.fairweather.cc/store/p25/UI-7_INTEGRATED_STEM_by_NITTO.html

Problem with the Nitto stem is that (I think) they come in only a
minus 17 degree angle. Looks nice, but if your steerer tube has
been already cut your handlebars will wind up too low.

victoryfactory
03-19-2015, 05:24 AM
I have a lugged steel w/ 1" steerer.
Shimming for threadless has never been an issue for me, As mentioned above,
it is undetectable if installed carefully.
Rather, finding an elegant affordable threadless stem (for any steerer size) that doesnt look like it was designed by a steampunk railroad engineer is the
real issue.
When you finally give up on 26mm bars, an old school quill could look wrong with new bars anyway.*

The Oval was nice, the easton alum is ok the thomson is acceptable IMO
Custom may be the only answer if you are really bothered by the look.

VF

* Period correct downtube shifter enthusiasts exempt, of course.

jemoryl
03-19-2015, 08:05 AM
I don't really understand the problem. I have been using an ITM Millennium stem with the factory shim on my steel bike with at 1" steerer since I built it 8 years ago. In use there is no way to tell that this is not a 1" stem and I never once thought about it.

Grant McLean
03-19-2015, 08:18 AM

These are 1 1/8" diameter according to the listing,
unless I'm missing something.

-g

RudAwkning
03-19-2015, 10:25 AM
These are 1 1/8" diameter according to the listing,
unless I'm missing something.

-g

lol at "Gross Black". I'm not sure whether that's a typo, a phonetic Japanese translation, or the copy editor's opinion on the color.