PDA

View Full Version : Pyrenees accommodation recommendation?

Gat64
03-17-2015, 07:16 PM
My wife and I are planning a holiday in the Pyrenees in late May and are looking for a decent place to stay. Location is probably the most important aspect, so we can cycle right from our door - options to head in the mountains or rolling hills would be ideal. We would also like to have our own kitchen as well - since we love cooking.

There seems to be an enormous offering when I searched, so I thought I would get some first hand experience from my worldly Paceliners.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

tv_vt
03-17-2015, 07:22 PM
Well, you might check in with Chris and Helen at Pyractif in the small town of Bertren. Their stand-alone 'cottage' has a kitchen on the first floor, bedroom and shower on second floor and another bedroom on the third floor.

Perhaps not the best location, but not bad. We rode Port de Bales, Col de Mente, Col des Ares, and all of the ones around Luchon (half dozen or so) from their door. Tourmalet is a bit of a drive, though.

572cv
03-17-2015, 07:43 PM
in the little village of Mauvezin, at Maison Monique.

http://maison-monique.com/index.html

It is a fabulous location, with Les Barronies just south, and lots of rolling riding there, or, shortly beyond are the main climbs. Matthieu and Elaine are great, and the accomodation is wonderful. There is a great view of the mountains from there as well. We LOVED this area and the climbing in this region of the Pyrennes. This place also has room for up to three couples, at which point it becomes more than reasonable. There is a fine bakery just up the hill in the next town to the northeast, which makes for a brisk morning 2k to get the heart rate up for breakfast. Nice kitchen, old house, its all good. It is on our list of places to go back to. Paceliners can say it was recommended by Rob and Laura in Vermont:) I've always been reluctant to use the banana guy, but I almost did here. Your wife will love you for this one.

The pics in order: Main facade of Maison Monique; One of the many nearby cols, all day trips (you should have a car), the Col de Val Louron; the view from the lawn and garden of Maison Monique. We were there in Sept.

Gat64
03-17-2015, 07:50 PM
572cv: Maison Monique looks truly amazing! Just need to find two more couples... ;) At first I thought the price was amazing, then I realized it was in pounds, not Euros...

tv_vt: I did see the Pyractif when researching - good to know you liked it. May look more into that.

572cv
03-17-2015, 08:25 PM
For the trip, you should check to see if air Transat is doing their flight from Montreal to Toulouse by that time in May. It's a direct flight, saves time and no transfer is good if you are bringing your bikes. The options plus ticket add on is worth it, too.

Gat64
03-18-2015, 05:06 AM
For the trip, you should check to see if air Transat is doing their flight from Montreal to Toulouse by that time in May. It's a direct flight, saves time and no transfer is good if you are bringing your bikes. The options plus ticket add on is worth it, too.

Yes - that would have been ideal, but I think it is too early in the year. Oh well, might have to suffer in Paris for a day... :rolleyes:

VTCaraco
03-18-2015, 08:56 AM
We stayed at this place (http://residencelespalombieres.com/?lang=en) for a few days this past July to catch some mountain stages of the Tour.
VERY cyclist friendly town and perfectly suitable (albeit not up-scale) accommodations. I wouldn't hesitate to base some riding out of this location.

Locals could surely know of other options, but we're definitely small-town folks and enjoyed this area quite a bit.

Plus, super-fun to badger the name of that town in my utterly appalling efforts to speak French. My teenage son and I managed to mispronounce it every single time to the point that we intentionally looked for fun, incorrect pronunciations.

texbike
03-18-2015, 09:18 AM
We stayed at this place (http://residencelespalombieres.com/?lang=en) for a few days this past July to catch some mountain stages of the Tour.
VERY cyclist friendly town and perfectly suitable (albeit not up-scale) accommodations. I wouldn't hesitate to base some riding out of this location.

Locals could surely know of other options, but we're definitely small-town folks and enjoyed this area quite a bit.

Plus, super-fun to badger the name of that town in my utterly appalling efforts to speak French. My teenage son and I managed to mispronounce it every single time to the point that we intentionally looked for fun, incorrect pronunciations.

A second vote for Bagneres-de-Bigorre. There are a lot of cool, little villages in the area, but Bagneres seemed to have it all - quick, easy access to great cycling (including the Aspin, Tourmalet, and La Mongie), great restaurants & bakeries, low traffic, beautiful scenery, and cool history (Roman Spa town, close to Lourdes). We've been twice and definitely plan on returning. I can't remember the name of the little hotel (doubled as a restaurant) at the moment but will look it up later. It sat just North of the downtown area and the river.

Texbike

Gat64
03-18-2015, 02:15 PM
So that's two votes for Bagneres-de-Bigorre - looks like a great location and having those amazing thermal baths nearby is a bonus.

Thanks for the referrence.

572cv
03-18-2015, 04:08 PM
Actually, Mauvezin is just a stone's throw from Bagneres de Bigorre- it is the nearest 'big' town, and as noted by others, a wonderful place. So, three votes, really, for this area.

Gat64
03-20-2015, 05:15 AM
Thanks for all the advice - we have booked here for a week: http://www.allezpyrenees.com/ in Bagnères de Bigorre. I'll report back after our trip and give a review.

Now I need to book some road bikes....