PDA

View Full Version : Kask Protone (or other new helmets) test data?

legMA
03-17-2015, 06:57 PM
Sweet looking helmets are coming out. Doesn't look like Kask has released wind tunnel test results yet- when can we get that? Anyone know where I can find some comparisons with data on some of the nicer modern helmets? Just curious, really.

kgreene10
03-18-2015, 03:20 AM
I'm curious about all the aero helmets but haven't found any data yet - industry it otherwise. Hopefully Tour Magazine will do done testing soon.

David Tollefson
03-18-2015, 05:30 AM
I like the look of it. No idea whether it would fit my very-oval head. But $300? Really? Just fell off my radar...

kgreene10
03-18-2015, 08:20 AM
I found this morsel of data without notes re: testing protocol and featuring only a few aero road models. As a result, it's not very useful. But note the site that posted it -- Aeroweenie seems to have whatever is available, so they will likely post future aero road helmet tests.

http://www.aeroweenie.com/assets/img/data/erosport-aero-road-helmets.jpg

legMA
03-18-2015, 08:49 AM
Ah thanks. What does a .001 to .01 difference in CdA make in real life amatuer crits and road races? Quick, before the marketing departments chime in.

legMA
03-18-2015, 09:46 AM
Looking at the article below, .01 is about 1/3 the difference between the aero helmet and the road helmet. If I'm thinking of it correctly, that's actually not bad.

http://www.bikeradar.com/us/road/gear/article/how-aero-is-aero-19273/

Ken Robb
03-18-2015, 10:32 AM
My understanding of this is limited but CdA has to multiplied by the area of the surface(s) presented to the wind/airflow to determine total drag. A eally big variable affecting total drag on helmets is angle of attack of the rider's head and helmet relative to the air flow. Picture a rider whose head is up with his helmet's front pointed straight into the wind. Now imagine a rider with his head and face pointed down so the leading edge of the helmet is now the larger top side with all the vents scooping air. This would seem to make aero tests meaningful for most riders very difficult. OTOH riders/teams with lots of money could get good info for specific riders, on specific bikes, could probably derive valid info from wind tunnel tests.