PDA

View Full Version : Bradley Wiggin's chances at Paris Roubaix

Dave Wages
03-17-2015, 10:36 AM
I was watching the coverage of Paris Nice and noted the announcers saying that Wiggins had dropped out before the 7th? stage to continue his preparations for Paris Roubaix. It got me thinking, Paris Roubaix is a crapshoot even for the best of riders with mechanicals, crashes, etc, and I'm trying to remember if Wiggo has ever had good results here?

Providing he's in good shape what do you folks think his chances are at winning? I'll get the ball rolling and say my guess is about 1 in 40.

guido
03-17-2015, 10:39 AM
I think he was like 9th last year. Maybe he went home to practice rolling dice?

MattTuck
03-17-2015, 10:42 AM
Are you talking conditional probabilities?

If you're talking straight up odds, I'd guess he has a 10% chance. A lot can happen between now and the finish line at Roubaix (take Tom Boonen for example).

If you're talking conditional odds from the point he is in a selection within say 60 or 70km of the finish line and he doesn't have a mechanical, I'd say 30 or 40%. He's an all around champion, track, grand tour, time trial... he's rarely failed to achieve a goal that he's committed to.

Gummee
03-17-2015, 10:43 AM
Roubaix is such a crapshoot that you may as well put names in a hat and try to pull a winner.

That said: I don't think he's got it in him.

M

MattTuck
03-17-2015, 10:50 AM
Odds from the bookmakers... (http://www.paddypower.com/bet/cycling/paris---roubaix) for entertainment purposes only.

velomonkey
03-17-2015, 10:53 AM
For sure he has a chance - this is the first year he has been focused and training on it - if he's healthy he is a good chance for top 5, decent chance for podium and certainly not a crazy bet to win.

Wiggo has been around the block and has raced the cobbles a ton unlike a certain dopped up American tour rider from Texas - he is more like LeMond (who got 4th twice, once in a CRAZY year and another year when his team mate won) than modern tour riders.

He has had two top tens in Roubaix - one as far back as Garmin days.

I'd love to see him pull this one out.

Dave Wages
03-17-2015, 10:55 AM
Odds from the bookmakers... (http://www.paddypower.com/bet/cycling/paris---roubaix) for entertainment purposes only.

Wow, 10 to 1, much better than I gave him!

I'm also not sure if publicly stating that Paris Roubaix is your goal before heading off to train for the Olympics is the best way to insure that you're not one of the most marked guys in the peloton, but I assume that Sir Brad knows this and made that call anyway? Fabian surely knows how much harder it is to win Roubaix and Flanders when everyone is marking you.

Uncle Jam's Army
03-17-2015, 10:57 AM
I can see him in the final group of 10-12 with 25-30 km to go, but I don't see him winning it. When's the last time Wiggo has won or come close to winning a Belgian classic or semi classic? In fact, I think Stannard has a better chance at winning it on Sky.

Props to Wiggo, he's an excellent, versatile racer. But I don't see him as the type that can win PR.

Dave Wages
03-17-2015, 10:57 AM
For sure he has a chance - this is the first year he has been focused and training on it - if he's healthy he is a good chance for top 5, decent chance for podium and certainly not a crazy bet to win.

Wiggo has been around the block and has raced the cobbles a ton unlike a certain dopped up American tour rider from Texas - he is more like LeMond (who got 4th twice, once in a CRAZY year and another year when his team mate won) than modern tour riders.

He has had two top tens in Roubaix - one as far back as Garmin days.

I'd love to see him pull this one out.

I was trying to search for his previous results from PR, didn't recall that he's had two top tens or even that he's rode PR that many times. I certainly wouldn't be upset to see him win, just thought it was more of a longshot than the odds makers do.

Dave Wages
03-17-2015, 10:59 AM

Nice to see that they included Tommy V in those odds at 400/1, I can only imagine the faces he'd be pulling to win Paris Roubaix. That would be entertaining in and of itself!

FlashUNC
03-17-2015, 11:00 AM
I wouldn't count him out.

MattTuck
03-17-2015, 11:05 AM
Wow, 10 to 1, much better than I gave him!

I'm also not sure if publicly stating that Paris Roubaix is your goal before heading off to train for the Olympics is the best way to insure that you're not one of the most marked guys in the peloton, but I assume that Sir Brad knows this and made that call anyway? Fabian surely knows how much harder it is to win Roubaix and Flanders when everyone is marking you.

Absolutely. That is one of the reasons I love the one day classics. There is so much strategy that goes into it. Cat & mouse stuff, bluffing, etc. And that is really what has made Boonen and Cancellara's dominance over the last few years so much more impressive.

I mean, Yeah, Terpstra and Van Summeren have won it as well lately, but Van Summeren's win was a fluke. To go out and win it when you are a favorite, and everyone knows it, that is pretty tough.

The 2013 win by Cancellara where he feigned weakness and let groups go up the road was an example of just how cagey you have to be in order to win while you're being marked.

Will other riders take Wiggins seriously? I think so. I think they sense the is a real danger man. It will be real interesting to see how Stybar rides and how Cancellara rides... especially when gaps start forming, who is going to close them?

Fabian had a comment the other day that Boonen being out is a potential problem for him because that team is so strong, he relies on them to close down breaks. No offense to Trek Factory racing, but it is not as strong a team outside of Cancellara. So we'll see, I think, a really interesting dynamic play out. And I think lots of riders will be looking to Wiggins and his team to do a lot of chasing.

MattTuck
03-17-2015, 11:08 AM
I can see him in the final group of 10-12 with 25-30 km to go, but I don't see him winning it. When's the last time Wiggo has won or come close to winning a Belgian classic or semi classic? In fact, I think Stannard has a better chance at winning it on Sky.

Props to Wiggo, he's an excellent, versatile racer. But I don't see him as the type that can win PR.

This whole thing could be a ruse to set Stannard up for the win. THAT would be impressive. Reminds me of the movie "The Prestige". Commitment to the illusion.

oldpotatoe
03-17-2015, 11:37 AM
I was watching the coverage of Paris Nice and noted the announcers saying that Wiggins had dropped out before the 7th? stage to continue his preparations for Paris Roubaix. It got me thinking, Paris Roubaix is a crapshoot even for the best of riders with mechanicals, crashes, etc, and I'm trying to remember if Wiggo has ever had good results here?

Providing he's in good shape what do you folks think his chances are at winning? I'll get the ball rolling and say my guess is about 1 in 40.

Zeee-Rooo

alessandro
03-17-2015, 11:46 AM

:mad::( gambling sites are blocked at work. :butt:

MattTuck
03-17-2015, 11:49 AM
:mad::( gambling sites are blocked at work. :butt:
If this doesn't work, let me know. I think I set the permissions right.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-u63VMLGrnHw/VQho6_IHujI/AAAAAAAAHe0/pMcdAq3gj0E/w603-h807-no/PR%2BBets.PNG

45K10
03-17-2015, 11:59 AM
I guess Stannard is at 16:1 because the book makers think he will be working for Wiggo.

I like Stybar and Boom, I think one of them will make it on the podium.

MattTuck
03-17-2015, 12:04 PM
Aren't we getting a little ahead of ourselves? we still have MSR, E3 Harelbeke and RvV before Roubaix... ;)

It's the most wonderful time, of the year...

enr1co
03-17-2015, 12:14 PM
Aren't we getting a little ahead of ourselves? we still have MSR, E3 Harelbeke and RvV before Roubaix... ;)

Lol- was thinking the same thing :D

Is Wiggins slated to ride any of these prior to PR?

David Kirk
03-17-2015, 12:43 PM
I think he could do well. He's much more an all rounder than most Tour riders. Plus he has a beard and that must make you tougher.

dave

Rebel_Biker
03-17-2015, 12:52 PM
I like him at 10-1. I would like him more if there was not so much press out that he is concentrating on this race. He would have been marked anyway, but now he might as well have a bulls eye on his back.

He got 9th without specifically training for PR. He is up in weight and training specifically to employ some sort of tactic. I hope it works.

christian
03-17-2015, 12:55 PM
I think he's got pretty good odds, but we know what a crazy race P-R is.

Stijn Devolder at 150/1 seems a good bet, just for the odds.

Bryan Coquard at 150/1 seems totally crazy. This assumes it ends in a field sprint or a sprint from a big, big breakaway pack? (That has never, ever happened...) Yeah, no. Not at 1500/1.

Lewis Moon
03-17-2015, 01:01 PM
I think he could do well. He's much more an all rounder than most Tour riders. Plus he has a beard and that must make you tougher.

dave

Yeah, it's weird just how much better I like Wiggo as a 'cross bike crashing, beard wearing, track racing, classics wannabe, than as a TDF winner.

firerescuefin
03-17-2015, 01:29 PM
Given that he has made this THE target this year and was very competitive at Flanders and Roubaix last year, I think he will be very well placed at both events. The guy has targeted and won gold medals on the track and TT in the Olympics and was able to win The Tour. He knows what it is to count the cost and be ready to perform at the highest level in a multitude of disciplines.

velomonkey
03-17-2015, 01:49 PM
but Van Summeren's win was a fluke. To go out and win it when you are a favorite, and everyone knows it, that is pretty tough.

I dunno, man, Van Summeren was there at the front for years and years when he rode for Lotto. He also took the race head on and is looked damn good - the finish with the flat tire - well deserved and not sure "fluke" is accurate.

alessandro
03-17-2015, 01:59 PM
{SNIP/odds chart}

Thanks Matt!

Yes, it is. :banana:

I guess Stannard is at 16:1 because the book makers think he will be working for Wiggo.

I like Stybar and Boom, I think one of them will make it on the podium.

I like that Stannard bloke too.

I think he's got pretty good odds, but we know what a crazy race P-R is.

Stijn Devolder at 150/1 seems a good bet, just for the odds.

Bryan Coquard at 150/1 seems totally crazy. This assumes it ends in a field sprint or a sprint from a big, big breakaway pack? (That has never, ever happened...) Yeah, no. Not at 1500/1.

de Ronde van Vlaaaaanderen is more Devolder's race.
Is it wishy-washy to bet on more than one? Can I bet on two, or three? At 150:1, the marginal cost is low--less than a Jupiler and frites.:beer:

MattTuck
03-17-2015, 02:01 PM
I dunno, man, Van Summeren was there at the front for years and years when he rode for Lotto. He also took the race head on and is looked damn good - the finish with the flat tire - well deserved and not sure "fluke" is accurate.

If I'm reading his palmares right, he has 8th, 5th, 9th and 10th place finishings at Paris-Roubaix in addition to his victory. There may be others, I'm going off of wikipedia.

He was in a fairly big break-away if I recall, and outlasted his fellow escapees. That year, I believe that Thor Hushovd was also on Garmin and was considered the team's strongest rider and captain for PR. When the race to close down the break heated up, Cancellara was pissed that Hushovd wouldn't work with him and as a result eased off for a while.

Cancellara ended up finishing 19 seconds behind Vansummeren. I'm not saying it wasn't a deserved win, or that it wasn't thanks to some savvy race tactics (though we had to suffer through some gloating from side burns). But I am saying it was a fluke that the winner came out of the breakaway -- without the leaders ever closing it down.

tiretrax
03-17-2015, 02:02 PM
How in the heck does Tyler Farrar get 150 to 1. Must be a misprint of 1500 to 1.

Wiggins was in great shape last year, and announced that it was a goal. He couldn't drop the hammer at the end, if I remember correctly, he got left behind with 20k to go (with a teammate or two). I can see that happening again.

enr1co
03-17-2015, 02:47 PM
How in the heck does Tyler Farrar get 150 to 1. Must be a misprint of 1500 to 1.

Gotta be a typo cuz' it's not April 1 yet :p

US riders have yet to be considered much of factor in the Classics (juice boy Hincapie doesnt count) but I'd put money on a rehab-ing Phinney (if by chance on the BMC roster for PR this yr) over Farrar any day.

Ruimteaapje
03-17-2015, 03:24 PM
Roubaix is such a crapshoot that you may as well put names in a hat and try to pull a winner.

That said: I don't think he's got it in him.

M
I don't agree, way to many multiple winners and multiple podium/top-10 finishers over the past years to call is a lottery.

Ruimteaapje
03-17-2015, 03:35 PM
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-u63VMLGrnHw/VQho6_IHujI/AAAAAAAAHe0/pMcdAq3gj0E/w603-h807-no/PR%2BBets.PNG
No Sebastian Langeveld? Finished 8th in 2014 and 7th in 2013 (did not start in 2012 due to crash injuries in the RVV).

LegendRider
03-17-2015, 04:11 PM

dave

I fully agree. He is most capable of winning of all the recent Tour winners.

MattTuck
03-17-2015, 04:24 PM
No Sebastian Langeveld? Finished 8th in 2014 and 7th in 2013 (did not start in 2012 due to crash injuries in the RVV).

This was a screen grab of the original site I posted. I may not have snagged everyone. Mostly just getting the top guys and Wiggins for discussion purposes. Go to that original link and see if Langeveld is on there.

MattTuck
04-06-2015, 01:25 PM

That was from March 17. The odds as of today (April 6) are here. (http://www.paddypower.com/bet/cycling/paris---roubaix)

Screenshot of some of it.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-K2hK6Q46zmk/VSLPkttWeTI/AAAAAAAAHgk/NLiza3QBIcc/w564-h807-no/betting%2Bodds%2Bpr.PNG

bcroslin
04-06-2015, 01:42 PM
My money's on Stybar

MattTuck
04-06-2015, 01:47 PM
If he can get his dental work fixed. jeeze, the poor guy.

If Paolini ends up racing, I think he'd be a very interesting choice... could see him sitting on in a break-away group as long as Kristoff is in the group behind.

jpw
04-07-2015, 02:40 AM
My monkey's on Vanmarcke.

I'm going for Wiggo.

Gummee
04-07-2015, 06:59 AM
If he can get his dental work fixed. jeeze, the poor guy.
Since I know firsthand how if feels to race without teeth (see my screen name) I can say 'you get used to it.'

I've had a partial since my freshman year of college. Yeah, at first it was pretty 'interesting,' but after a few months? Same ole same ole

M

weisan
04-07-2015, 07:32 AM
Wiggo's form is iffy at best, maybe he will get lucky, who knows, in a race like PR, lady luck is 50% of the race. :D

soulspinner
04-07-2015, 08:48 AM
my monkey's on vanmarcke.

I'm going for wiggo.

+1
+1

nooneline
04-07-2015, 09:12 AM
I just don't know what to think for Roubaix.

Last year I was all "Wiggins wants to win Roubaix? HA" and then he surprised me with a top ten ride. So now this year, my ears are up and I trust his ability to prepare properly. So - it'll be interesting. I don't think of him as a favorite, but a contender for sure. I think Sky will need to not make the same mistake they did at de Ronde and try to control the race like it's a queen stage.

It's hard to bet against Kristoff's form, but Roubaix is a race for which you definitely need experience - and Kristoff has only finished twice, in 57th and 9th. I don't think it's sufficient.

Vanmarcke - well, two years ago he had a terrible Ronde and a week later rode into Roubaix with Cancellara and almost took the win. He was in ripping form a few weeks ago, got sick at Tirreno, and had a bunch of bad luck. I'm hoping he'll bounce back from his pretty poor showing at de Ronde.

and then there's EQS. As always. The heart really wants Stybar to take it if Vanmarcke doesn't.

Grant McLean
04-07-2015, 11:03 AM
Wiggo's form is iffy at best, maybe he will get lucky, who knows, in a race like PR, lady luck is 50% of the race. :D

I think he's been sandbagging. He tested himself a bit in the TT
at 3Days, but I think his form is there, (depending on any damage
done from that spill at Flanders). It's a bit of risk to not be mixing it at
the front of the spring classics and rolling the dice at Roubaix everything
will click for him, but i think Brad has been doing his own thing
to prepare, and he's very motivated. It's going to be interesting.

-g

weiwentg
04-07-2015, 04:13 PM
The skills to do PR and Flanders are very different from the skills you use on the track or in a grand tour. I doubt he can, he doesn't have the experience. But you never know, and it would be a very fitting retirement.

MattTuck
04-07-2015, 05:27 PM
The skills to do PR and Flanders are very different from the skills you use on the track or in a grand tour. I doubt he can, he doesn't have the experience. But you never know, and it would be a very fitting retirement.

I mean, he has a top 10 already at PR. And he is a world champion time trial rider. I'd say he is as much of a contender as one can be.

1centaur
04-07-2015, 06:09 PM
Weather looks good for Roubaix on Sunday, so lower chances of random slick-cobble crashes and a greater chance that form will out.

Wiggins won't win by being allowed to go away - everybody will be prepped to mark Mr. TT. Too bad there is no Fabian to deflect attention. He'll either have to crush a near final selection from distance or win a sprint in the velodrome. I think Sky will be very well trained to deliver him to one or the other scenario. If I am betting against him (which I guess would be smart) I would rely on him lacking the character trait of thinking "screw you all, I'm going early and you can't catch me." I think his head is not ideal for Paris-Roubaix.

weisan
04-07-2015, 06:14 PM
I think he's been sandbagging. He tested himself a bit in the TT
at 3Days, but I think his form is there, (depending on any damage
done from that spill at Flanders). It's a bit of risk to not be mixing it at
the front of the spring classics and rolling the dice at Roubaix everything
will click for him, but i think Brad has been doing his own thing
to prepare, and he's very motivated. It's going to be interesting.

-g

G pal, you could be right....and he's got what seems to be the winning formula this season...the "BEARD", so figure that got to count for sumthin' :rolleyes:

acorn_user
04-07-2015, 10:22 PM
Weather looks good for Roubaix on Sunday, so lower chances of random slick-cobble crashes and a greater chance that form will out.

Wiggins won't win by being allowed to go away - everybody will be prepped to mark Mr. TT. Too bad there is no Fabian to deflect attention. He'll either have to crush a near final selection from distance or win a sprint in the velodrome. I think Sky will be very well trained to deliver him to one or the other scenario. If I am betting against him (which I guess would be smart) I would rely on him lacking the character trait of thinking "screw you all, I'm going early and you can't catch me." I think his head is not ideal for Paris-Roubaix.

I think you're correct that Wiggins would go from distance. Of course, there're a number of riders (Terpstra and Vanmarcke for instance), that will probably try the same kind of tactic. It will be interesting to see how it goes. So far, small breaks out of tired/disorganised groups of favourites have been doing pretty well!
(I had to edit this when I realised Sean Kelly was majorly disrupting my normal use of English...)

gianni
04-07-2015, 11:54 PM
I like PSagan in a small group. Kristoff will marked out.

ceya
04-07-2015, 11:58 PM
I think SKY will go all out for Wiggins. He just need to be in the right spot and always have someone near in case of flats. He has done good but just need luck , Peter Sagan will be there but needs to read the race like a sprinter to make sure he is up front.He may just finally win and his date with the Queen.

S/F,
CEYA!

ultraman6970
04-08-2015, 08:13 AM
In a race like that you cant put all the eggs in 1 basket. They need to have a plan B going with maybe 1 extra guy just in case, but the race as somebody said.. craptastic and you never know what could happen... one accident or a bad mechanical and wiggo gets off the races and the team ends up with nobody to even get close enough for a top 10.

Sagan?? he wont do crap... he is turned off this year, looks tired and over weight, the whole team probably is fed up with the owner at this point, damm the season just started...

ceya
04-08-2015, 10:06 AM
Never heard of a plan b for PR, if your team plan fails, it is every man for himself.

S/F,
CEYA!

BSUdude
04-08-2015, 11:06 AM
Sagan?? he wont do crap... he is turned off this year, looks tired and over weight, the whole team probably is fed up with the owner at this point, damm the season just started...

Yea he is total crap... 4th place at flanders and 4th at san remo, in the hunt for the podium at E3 until the last 3k...he should probably be relegated to getting bottles from the team car for the other classics riders on tinkoff with outstanding resumes.

If PS doesn't suffer any severe mechanicals or crashes, it would be hard to see him out of the top 10. And everyone is talking up sir brad's chances after his "outstanding" top 10 performance last year.

Let's take bets on how many bikes brad throws in the ditch this Sunday.

weiwentg
04-08-2015, 12:03 PM
I mean, he has a top 10 already at PR. And he is a world champion time trial rider. I'd say he is as much of a contender as one can be.

Top 10 is different from being in the finishing break. Top 10 in one year is different from having done the race and similar races many times over your career. I must politely disagree, I don't consider Wiggins a contender. BUT that doesn't mean he can't win, and in fact I am rooting for him.

MattTuck
04-11-2015, 06:38 PM

That was from March 17. The odds as of today (April 6) are here. (http://www.paddypower.com/bet/cycling/paris---roubaix)

Screenshot of some of it.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-K2hK6Q46zmk/VSLPkttWeTI/AAAAAAAAHgk/NLiza3QBIcc/w564-h807-no/betting%2Bodds%2Bpr.PNG

And as of tonight, ~12 hours before race time, here are the odds. Interesting to see whose stock has been rising and whose has been following.

Shortsocks
04-11-2015, 07:09 PM
Oh wow. The odds have really changed. Maybe they know Something we don't. I'm personally going for Wiggins on this one. It would be a great way to end a great career, and on top of that, if my memory serves me correctly, had an Englishman ever won PR? I know Tom Simpson won Flanders and Milan San Remo...but Sean Kelly is as Irish as a Kennedy. So would Wiggins be the first Englishman?

enr1co
04-11-2015, 07:37 PM
Oh wow. The odds have really changed. Maybe they know Something we don't. I'm personally going for Wiggins on this one. It would be a great way to end a great career, and on top of that, if my memory serves me correctly, had an Englishman ever won PR? I know Tom Simpson won Flanders and Milan San Remo...but Sean Kelly is as Irish as a Kennedy. So would Wiggins be the first Englishman?

Good question! Looks like no Englishman has taken PR:

Past winners:
2014 N Terpstra
2013 Fabian Cancellara (Swi) RadioShack Leopard
2012 Tom Boonen (Bel) Omega Pharma - QuickStep
2011 Johan Vansummeren (Bel) Team Garmin-Cervelo
2010 Fabian Cancellara (Swi) Team Saxo Bank
2009 Tom Boonen (Bel)
2008 Tom Boonen (Bel)
2007 Stuart O'Grady (Aus)
2006 Fabian Cancellara (Swi)
2005 Tom Boonen (Bel)
2004 Magnus Backstedt (Swe)
2003 Peter Van Petegem (Bel)
2002 Johan Museeuw (Bel)
2001 Servais Knaven (Ned)
2000 Johan Museeuw (Bel)
1999 Andrea Tafi (Ita)
1998 Franco Ballerini (Ita)
1997 Frederic Guesdon (Fra)
1996 Johan Museeuw (Bel)
1995 Franco Ballerini (Ita)
1994 Andrei Tchmil (Mol)
1993 Gilbert Duclos-Lassalle (Fra)
1992 Gilbert Duclos-Lassalle (Fra)
1991 Marc Madiot (Fra)
1990 Eddy Planckaert (Bel)
1989 Jean-Marie Wampers (Bel)
1988 Dirk Demol (Bel)
1987 Eric Vanderaerden (Bel)
1986 Sean Kelly (Ier)
1985 Marc Madiot (Fra)
1984 Sean Kelly (Ire)
1983 Hennie Kuiper (Ned)
1982 Jan Raas (Ned)
1981 Bernard Hinault (Fra)
1980 Francesco Moser (Ita)
1979 Francesco Moser (Ita)
1978 Francesco Moser (Ita)
1977 Roger De Vlaeminck (Bel)
1976 Marc Demeyer (Bel)
1975 Roger De Vlaeminck (Bel)
1974 Roger De Vlaeminck (Bel)
1973 Eddy Merckx (Bel)
1972 Roger De Vlaeminck (Bel)
1971 Roger Rosiers (Bel)
1970 Eddy Merckx (Bel)
1969 Walter Godefroot (Bel)
1968 Eddy Merckx (Bel)
1967 Jan Janssen (Ned)
1966 Felice Gimondi (Ita)
1965 Rik Van Looy (Bel)
1964 Peter Post (Ned)
1963 Emile Daems (Bel)
1962 Rik Van Looy (Bel)
1961 Rik Van Looy (Bel)
1960 Pino Cerami (Bel)
1959 Noel Fore (Bel)
1958 Leon Van Daele (Bel)
1957 Alfred De Bruyne (Bel)
1956 Louison Bobet (Fra)
1955 Jean Forestier (Fra)
1954 Raymond Impanis (Bel)
1953 Germain Derycke (Bel)
1952 Rick van Steenbergen (Bel)
1951 Antonio Bevilacqua (Ita)
1950 Fausto Coppi (Ita)
1949 André Mahe (Fra) =1
1948 Rick van Steenbergen (Bel)
1947 Georges Claes (Bel)
1946 Georges Claes (Bel)
1945 Paul Maye (Fra)
1944 Maurice Desimpelaere (Bel)
1943 Marcel Kint (Bel)
1939 Emile Masson Jnr (Bel)
1938 Lucien Storme (Bel)
1937 Jules Rossi (Ita)
1936 Georges Speicher (Fra)
1935 Gaston Rebry (Bel)
1934 Gaston Rebry (Bel)
1933 Sylvere Maes (Bel)
1932 Romain Gyssels (Bel)
1931 Gaston Rebry (Bel)
1930 Julien Vervaecke (Bel)
1929 Charles Meunier (Bel)
1928 Andre Leducq (Fra)
1927 Georges Ronsse (Bel)
1926 Julien Delbecque (Bel)
1925 Félix Sellier (Bel)
1924 Jules Van Hevel (Bel)
1923 Henri Suter (Swi)
1922 Albert Dejonghe (Bel)
1921 Henri Pelissier (Fra)
1920 Paul Deman (Bel)
1919 Henri Pelissier (Fra)
1914 Charles Crupelandt (Fra)
1913 François Faber (Lux)
1912 Charles Crupelandt (Fra)
1911 Octave Lapize (Fra)
1910 Octave Lapize (Fra)
1909 Octave Lapize (Fra)
1908 Cyrille Van Hauwaert (Bel)
1907 Georges Passerieu (Fra)
1906 Henri Cornet (Fra)
1905 Louis Trousselier (Fra)
1904 Hippolyte Aucouturier (Fra)
1903 Hippolyte Aucouturier (Fra)
1902 Luc Lesna (Fra)
1901 Luc Lesna (Fra)
1900 Emile Bouhours (Fra)
1899 Albert Champion (Fra)
1898 Maurice Garin (Fra)
1897 Maurice Garin (Fra)
1896 Josef Fischer (Ger)

acorn_user
04-11-2015, 09:11 PM
I'd imagine that Roger Hammond probably came closest (at least, in recent memory).

oldpotatoe
04-13-2015, 07:06 AM
Yea he is total crap... 4th place at flanders and 4th at san remo, in the hunt for the podium at E3 until the last 3k...he should probably be relegated to getting bottles from the team car for the other classics riders on tinkoff with outstanding resumes.

If PS doesn't suffer any severe mechanicals or crashes, it would be hard to see him out of the top 10. And everyone is talking up sir brad's chances after his "outstanding" top 10 performance last year.

Let's take bets on how many bikes brad throws in the ditch this Sunday.

I only saw one at P-R..and that was your boy Sagan...Riis' Pieces..altho he's gone, he 'negotiated' that crappy group for his team....

jr59
04-13-2015, 10:20 AM
I only saw one at P-R..and that was your boy Sagan...Riis' Pieces..altho he's gone, he 'negotiated' that crappy group for his team....

In all fairness, in that same spot, in good shape to make the race, and a shifter fails....I would have thrown that bike too. That is racing, and a tough break, that close to the line.

Bostic
04-13-2015, 11:37 AM
The team should have provided Peter with a "Lunch Race" version of the Roubaix with a wide cassette. :cool:

At what point do they cut their losses and ditch the not prime time ready components?

alessandro
04-13-2015, 01:18 PM
Cyclocosm tweeted yesterday:
internal pulley system to hide faux-electronic mechanical shifters is the new painting the team colors over a custom frame.