PDA

View Full Version : Teenage Cyclist Hit By Car Told ‘Sorry, I Can’t Stop, It Would Upset My Kids’

Shortsocks
03-17-2015, 08:34 AM
Read this on another forum, HAD to post it here.
This is super crazy.

http://www.inquisitr.com/1927158/teenage-cyclist-hit-by-car-told-sorry-i-cant-stop-it-would-upset-my-kids/

··· is wrong with people?

54ny77
03-17-2015, 08:40 AM
sickening.

MattTuck
03-17-2015, 08:42 AM
I nominate these folks for an honorary darwin award. For people that SHOULD be removed from the gene pool, but unfortunately had children.

EPIC! Stratton
03-17-2015, 08:49 AM
Clearly she didn't realize that he is also someones child, who she almost killed. #peoplearetheworst

christian
03-17-2015, 08:56 AM
When I was 5, my parents stopped at the site of a bad car accident on the Autobahn; it was scary and I saw some unpleasant things I remember to this day, some 33 years later.

But it also taught me to stop and help people when you can and that we're all responsible for taking care of one another.

I wonder what lesson this woman's children will take away.

rugbysecondrow
03-17-2015, 09:00 AM
Damn. Just, damn.

zap
03-17-2015, 09:21 AM
I'm not surprised………and that's sad.

bicycletricycle
03-17-2015, 09:25 AM
that makes me really angry,

he should have had a gun :)

Grant McLean
03-17-2015, 09:29 AM
Aside from the immediate issues of being involved in an accident,
it just seems like this response, like so many so called "parenting"
ideas, these people have zero clue that their attempts to shield
their kids from every-single-thing that happens is life is not doing
them any favors, and possibly grave harm.

In fact, most things that happen in life are "teachable moments",
and all this avoidance strategy does is raise a bunch of adult age
infants who have no idea how to cope with reality or responsibility.

-g

Lewis Moon
03-17-2015, 09:32 AM
Convenient excuse. How traumatic will it be for the kids to see mum carted off in handcuffs for hit and run (if/when they find her)?

snah
03-17-2015, 09:35 AM

-g

Exactly, like RESPONSIBILITY!!! Very, very sad. As a parent of 4, I couldn't imagine that reaction, no matter what mistake I made.

Tony T
03-17-2015, 09:36 AM
I hope they locate the driver and revoke his license (Mom made the statement, but was not the driver).
There are people who should not be allowed on the road.
(Glad to hear that the teen will have a 100% recovery from the injuries)

moose8
03-17-2015, 09:40 AM
That's disgusting behavior. Good luck to those kids growing up with parents like that.

David Tollefson
03-17-2015, 09:51 AM
A friend of mine crashed just over a week ago when a car making a left turn STOPPED IN HIS LANE. He locked it up, crashed, and bounced into the car. Three times the driver asked if he was okay, and got no answer. His reaction? Back up and drive away.

I hate the human race sometimes.

Like the scene in Terminator 2:

John Connor: We're not gonna make it. People I mean.

Terminator: It's in your nature to destroy yourself.

paredown
03-17-2015, 10:04 AM
Possibly the scariest is the comment that says this was a better than normal response to a British cyclist getting hit!

Yikes!!

cfox
03-17-2015, 10:53 AM
That's disgusting behavior. Good luck to those kids growing up with parents like that.

100% agree, and sadly I know people who would do the exact same thing. Some moms are just plain nuts and have this irrational fear that any stress or unpleasant experience will scar their child. This type of parenting cost my wife a friend. Former friend's kids have, predictably, grown to fear their own shadow and hide behind their mother at all times.

Hank Scorpio
03-17-2015, 11:04 AM
When I was hit the driver just drove away. Luckily she got held up in traffic at a light and my teammates were able to catch up to her and hold her there. The passenger said "You can't make us stay here, we have some place to be."

True story

JAllen
03-17-2015, 01:14 PM
Convenient excuse. How traumatic will it be for the kids to see mum carted off in handcuffs for hit and run (if/when they find her)?
+1. Those kids will be learning a valuable lesson at mommy dearest expense.

rugbysecondrow
03-17-2015, 01:14 PM
I agree. When I was child, we were drive south from Wisconsin and had just entered Illinois around 9:pm at night. We stopped to get gas, two cars, one pulling a boat, another pulling a trailer. My mom was driving first and she looked, saw two headlights and thought the car was far enough away, so she pulled out. It was actually two motorcyclists riding side by side and their smaller lights looked like they were further away than they actually were. They laid their bikes down, slid under the boat as it was flipping (she floored it and turned to avoid them) and the men came out of the incident with relatively minor injuries. I remember my Mom getting help from inside the station, my Dad going to the men and both of my parents working with the police and medics until the situation was resolved.

Lots of lessons that come out of this, but I cannot imagine my parents doing something like this and then driving off, leaving injured people on the side of the road.

I can't imagine one parent, let alone two thinking this is a good idea.

-g

1happygirl
03-17-2015, 07:22 PM

-g

this and I don't even have kids.

A friend of my parents retired and decided since he loved kids to work as a crossing guard for a school. Crossing the street with kids, he was hit.
long story short, he's in the hospital. The lady was visited at home by police as she didn't stop. She said she was in a hurry to pick up her kids and couldn't stop.

He was in the hospital, sat up and died (PE).
Pedestrians get it as much, or more, than cyclists. Very sad always.
As my parents friends didn't have kids and he was older, his wife did not receive enough to live on as they calculated his life left with retirement. She lived to be 96 and outlived her money. Very sad.
I often wonder if the lady's kids knew about the accident and thought about it later in life.