PDA

View Full Version : OT: Tending the spread after the weekend ride

William
04-12-2006, 05:12 AM
A couple of question for you yard experts out there.

1.) After that weekend morning ride when your S.O. want's you to get busy with the Honey-do's, what type of riding mower do you jump on? I've got a lot of yard to take care of now and the grass is starting to grow again. There's no freakin way I'm going to get out there with a push mower....I'd have to skip my ride and spend all day pushing. What brand of rider do you all suggest?

2.) Green, green grass...
We have a well on the property so I don't want to use any chemical fertilizers on the grass. Any suggestions on getting a healthy green lawn without chemicals? Is it as simple as plenty of water? It doesn't need to be lush like a golf course, but just healthy....not brown and dying.

Thanks,
William

TimB
04-12-2006, 06:28 AM
William,

Put up a fence, buy a couple sheep, and watch carefully where you walk.
All problems solved at once.

TimB

Dr. Doofus
04-12-2006, 06:52 AM
oofd uses a push mower

(further proof that the more you ride, the worse you get at everything else: doof can do his 5:00 ints at 360w, but he's still sore two days after cutting the flipping grass)

Rich_W
04-12-2006, 07:01 AM
Nothing runs like a Deere. I have a small Deere riding mower thats 5 years old... 18 hp. when they still made them in the USA. I change the oil and air filter annually, sharpen the blades in a vice with a grinder... and its good to go. Original battery still works fine. Let it sit for the winter months in the shed, and it fires up with one turn. I paid $2k for it. Older Honda's are also excellent.

I have just under an acre, and it take me about an hour to do the mow, line trimmer, and blower.

As for grass, the key is irrigation system. I wish my well pump did enough GPM to install one, otherwise I would have done it already. But the key to grass is to get it thick enough where weeds just can't grow. If a lawn is already contaminated with god knows what, it needs to be ripped out and start over.

Here... forget it. If it grows, I cut it down... weeds, crab grass, you name it. I've come to terms, I'll never have a nice lawn here. So I've just got my routine down to a science. Once you figure out the 'course' for the riding mower... I put the sucker in 5th gear... no brakes... and go! I call it Mow-tocross.

FierteTi52
04-12-2006, 07:05 AM
I hired a lawn service a few years back when a back injury prevented me from bouncing around on my lawn tractor. I have an acre if lawn and they charge me $35.00 per cut. It used to take me 3.5hrs to cut , lawn sweep,line trim, etc. Now it's a no brainer, I wil never do it my self again. I figure it's one more night to be out riding or spend quality time with my wife. Considering what you will have to pay for a lawn tractor, you can pay for several years of lawn service.
Jeff

Argos
04-12-2006, 07:13 AM
I use a walk behind push, but when it dies, I want to get a twin blade commercial like I used to use as a kid at my cousin's landscaping company. Fast and powerful. I always make my gates and beds with the intent of one day having one, so that I do not need the little one anymore.

We all have dreams....
http://newhavenpower.com/toro1548wedge.jpg

spiderlake
04-12-2006, 07:32 AM
We treat our house like a condo - in other words, we hire everything out now and for us, it is money well spent. Last summer we hired a neighborhood kid on the cheap and it worked well for most of the summer. I think our mistake was paying him for 4 weeks at a time rather than when he finished each time. I've never seen a kid take longer to mow a lawn (fiddling with his iPod, talking on his cell and the like) but at least it wasn't me doing it!! We went with a professional service this time and it will be interesting to see the results.

Our decision to hire everything out has more to do with our desire to live in a Condo during the work week and have more time to ourselves. The biggest attraction to a condo was zero outside maintenance and the freedom to come and go as we please. Rather than selling our current house and bearing the burden of another mortgage, we decided to just "condo out" our house. So far, so good!

I realize this doesn't answer your specific question but just throwing it out as an option.

Tom
04-12-2006, 07:37 AM
I use this. My lot's about 275x125 and it takes me about the same time as a gas powered mower. It's better for the grass because it snips it instead of bashing it.

Check out Espoma Organic fertilizer to see if it is better around wells and whatever.

If your place is older, like back when people kept animals, you might be fine because in the old days people realized that you put your well higher than your manure pile. A lost art, it seems, if the Saratoga Fair Grounds is any indication.

Too Tall
04-12-2006, 07:44 AM
We have a Troy Bilt commercial that is not used anymore...want it?

ti_boi
04-12-2006, 07:51 AM
I like the LawnBoy I bought last year.....Tecumsah (sp.) motor I believe. I got sick and tired of Briggs and Stratton's tempestuous ways.

William
04-12-2006, 07:56 AM
We have a Troy Bilt commercial that is not used anymore...want it?

I suppose we could keep a couple of sheep in the old horse barn. You know the old saying though; In Rhode Island, men are men and the sheep are.......made into grinders. ;)

I've got just over two acres, most of which needs mowing. I could check into an outside service, though I don't mind doing it myself.

Hmmm, Mr. Tall, what are we talking here?

William

Ozz
04-12-2006, 08:08 AM
How big of a lawn do you have? Are you sure you need a riding mower?

John Deere (walk behind). Mine is about 10 years old and still starts on one pull....even after sitting in the garage all winter. The new Honda are supposed to be nice.

When I cut grass at the local golf course back (summers during college), we swore by Toros. We had a some really cool three reel Greensmasters for cutting the greens. If you want the best cut, as said previously, use a reel mover.

Fixed
04-12-2006, 08:32 AM
bro troy push 6.5 hp I do 3 yards ( my home ,office, brothers ..he has a bad heart) after my 50 mile jammin hard ride sat then I can do 6 hrs on sun and only have to do the pool aterwards .
I like to be outdoors . cheers

Bradford
04-12-2006, 09:39 AM
Hey big Willie, remember my Deere you pimped with the blower last year? I'll be selling it before I move in a month or so, why don't you buy it and do your yard in style. I won't need a tractor when I move from 1.5 to .1 acres.

It's a nice ride, has a new $550 deck I put on it in January and have used once, comes with a plow and a fertilizer spreader, and, as you know, has a stylin' flame job on the side.

That's the ticket, adopt my Deere and give it a good new home. Sandy would be proud of you if you took in a stray. :banana:

Kevan
04-12-2006, 09:39 AM
a volleyball court's worth is too much.

Think once or twice a year mowings and wild flowers.

davids
04-12-2006, 09:40 AM
We treat our house like a condo.
Me, too! Oh, wait. It is a condo.

I don't miss yardwork one bit. And if I could get someone to do the dishes, vacuuming, and laundry, I wouldn't miss those either. I'd rather spend my time doing stuff. Or doing nothing. atmo.

spiderlake
04-12-2006, 09:49 AM
Me, too! Oh, wait. It is a condo.

I don't miss yardwork one bit. And if I could get someone to do the dishes, vacuuming, and laundry, I wouldn't miss those either. I'd rather spend my time doing stuff. Or doing nothing. atmo.

We outsourced the cleaning too! I'm with you and would much rather spend my free time doing things I enjoy - hanging out with my wife, riding my bike, friends/family, etc..... One thing I do enjoy and I have no idea why is clearing snow. I take great satisfaction in having a clear drive and walkway. Weird, eh?

Louis
04-12-2006, 10:28 AM
I can't tell you how much time I have spent fighting dandelions instead of cycling. (Needless to say, you know which I would rather do.) I have essentially no lawn, but lots of garden, so I can't just use broad leaf weed killer. I also don't like to use chemicals anyway, and the darn dandelions grow between the desired plants so you can't just spray. I have spent countless hours pulling the d@rn things and still they propagate like crazy.

If anyone has a good solution (other than concrete on the whole thing) please let me know. I would be eternally grateful.

davids
04-12-2006, 10:29 AM
One thing I do enjoy and I have no idea why is clearing snow. I take great satisfaction in having a clear drive and walkway. Weird, eh?
Well, if you really pushed me, I'd have to say that sometimes I do enjoy doing the laundry. There's something satisfying (in a very anal way) about turning those piles of dirty clothes into fresh, neatly folded stacks... Plus, I can listen to music while I'm doing it!

Argos
04-12-2006, 10:50 AM
Ok, so I just came in from starting said push mower for the first time this year. Damn thing started. I've been trying to kill it now for 2 years. It was given to us by my in-laws, was a piece of crap then, is a piece of crap now. Only thing I do is sharpen the blade and check the oil. I left it under a deck for 2 winters, no prep. Each time, topped off the gas and it started right up. Now It's been parked next to the AC units outside all winter behind a bush. Topped it off, and the mofo started. :crap: I did try to get my new lawn and the grade is super steep. 20% in one corner and about 8 near the back. Just enough to slide sideways while cutting.

See. I need a wider wheelbase and a better platform. Yeah, that's it....

billrick
04-12-2006, 12:04 PM
I am a HUGE fan of my Made-in-Germany Brill Lexus 38, a push reel mower. Folks call this the Mercedes Benz of push mowers, and I have to agree. It is a precision instrument - micro tuned blades, quality bearings, whisper quiet. This is not the rusty Sears push mower that Wally used on Leave it to Beaver. I love the fact that I can mow at 6:30 am on a Saturday, without waking my wife or neighbors. And it doesn't take me any longer than a gas powered mower. Of course, I do have a townhouse, so the yard is a postage stamp.

Check them out here (also a good source for cool yard tools, rain barrels, composting supplies, and yes, GARDEN GNOMES!):

Clean Air Gardening (http://www.cleanairgardening.com)

:)

Tom
04-12-2006, 12:07 PM
I'd buy one just to piss off my neighbor across the street.

Too Tall
04-12-2006, 12:59 PM
Dewd! Bradford! Dewd!

BigMan - it is the 33" wide cut self propelled job. I *think it is a 12 horse B.S. engine...big sukr' Carb needs to be dipped and should be good to go.

Below is a link to the new version of it. Mine does not have elect start.
http://www.troybilt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_14102_13303_39701_-1#

33 inch

Greg Wright
04-12-2006, 01:27 PM
Townhome or Patio Home. Leaves more time for riding and golf or whatever. :bike: :beer:

CNY rider
04-12-2006, 02:13 PM
I can't tell you how much time I have spent fighting dandelions instead of cycling. (Needless to say, you know which I would rather do.) I have essentially no lawn, but lots of garden, so I can't just use broad leaf weed killer. I also don't like to use chemicals anyway, and the darn dandelions grow between the desired plants so you can't just spray. I have spent countless hours pulling the d@rn things and still they propagate like crazy.

If anyone has a good solution (other than concrete on the whole thing) please let me know. I would be eternally grateful.

Are we talking vegetable gardens, or more in the way of landscaping?

Our vegetable gardening improved a whole lot when I built some raised beds. They're easier to weed, and more productive because you can keep super high quality soil in them. There are lots of building plans on the web. I have zero mechanical skills, and even I have no problems building them.

As an aside, I've decided the whole anti-dandelion jihad is a creation of companies that want to sell noxious lawn chemicals. I just let the dandelions be. Hasn't resulted in the fall of western civilization yet, although there are days I see my neighbor eyeing the cloud of white seeds blowing his way..........

William
04-12-2006, 03:47 PM
Dewd! Bradford! Dewd!

BigMan - it is the 33" wide cut self propelled job. I *think it is a 12 horse B.S. engine...big sukr' Carb needs to be dipped and should be good to go.

Below is a link to the new version of it. Mine does not have elect start.
http://www.troybilt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_14102_13303_39701_-1#

33 inch

Sweet!! :cool:

I talked to the Bradford over the phone a little earlier, Dewd, that is one PIMPED out Deere fer shah. :cool:
PIMPIN RIDE!!! (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=111811&postcount=37)

William

Louis
04-12-2006, 04:47 PM
Are we talking vegetable gardens, or more in the way of landscaping?

Mostly more landscaping. The vegetable garden is probably less than 5% of the total "non-forest, landscaped in some way so I have to maintain it so it does not go to heck" area. (This all came with the house when I bought it. I would not have had the energy or the interest to put it in myself, but now that it's there I feel like I have to at least put in some effort to keep it in decent shape.)

I wish I could convince myself that the dandelions are a pretty addition to the garden, but given that each one can put out about a gazillion seeds and I assume that unchecked they would eventually take over the world, and because the anal part of me knows that they don't belong there I feel like it's a battle I have to wage...

Maybe I just need to lighten up a bit. Either that, or develop a type of deer that will eat dandelions. They eat nearly everything else, I have no idea why they don't also eat the dandelions...

Louis

billrick
04-12-2006, 05:00 PM
Maybe I just need to lighten up a bit. Either that, or develop a type of deer that will eat dandelions. They eat nearly everything else, I have no idea why they don't also eat the dandelions...

Why not eat them yourself?

INGREDIENTS:

1 pound dandelion greens
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 whole small dried hot chile pepper, seeds removed, crushed
1/4 cup cooking oil
salt and pepper
Parmesan cheese

PREP:

Discard dandelion green roots; wash greens well in salted water. Cut leaves into 2-inch pieces. Cook greens uncovered in small amount of salted water until tender, about 10 minutes. Sauté onion, garlic, and chile pepper in oil. Drain greens; add to onion garlic mixture. Taste dandelion greens and season with salt and pepper. Serve dandelion greens with grated Parmesan cheese.
Recipe for dandelion greens serves 4.

Birddog
04-12-2006, 08:58 PM
TimB was right, buy a coupla sheep. It'll be a smart move.

Birddog

L84dinr
04-12-2006, 09:11 PM
Be careful how you treat the lawnmowers in the background and they will treat you too a freezer full of ribs and roasts and steaks.

Be careful with the lawnmowers in the foreground, for they will choose your nursing home!

Emily(9) and Alison(7)

Seriously, My wife asked me to buy her a Honda and she would take care of the lawn. We own two! A push mower and a riding mower. Both have been exceptional mowers. I have had to replace the battery a couple of times in ten years in the rider. Other than that trouble free mowers.

William
04-13-2006, 05:59 AM
Be careful how you treat the lawnmowers in the background and they will treat you too a freezer full of ribs and roasts and steaks.

When's the BBQ?? ;)

William

Kevan
04-13-2006, 06:33 AM
custom designed and fit lawnmowers.

I'm offering Ti and lugged steel currently. I'm having a portion of our plant reconfigured for CF assembly. We should be up and going with that product by next year.

William
04-14-2006, 04:13 PM
TT, thanks for the offer. :cool: Bradford's Deere has a new home. ;)

William

Birddog
04-14-2006, 07:14 PM
If you have an older push type mower sans the safety lever (the one that cuts engine power when released), you can mount your old aero bars on the top of the handle and breeze through the yard while working on your aero position.

Birddog

Kevan
04-14-2006, 07:17 PM
If you have an older push type mower sans the safety lever (the one that cuts engine power when released), you can mount your old aero bars on the top of the handle and breeze through the yard while working on your aero position.

Birddog

my old bottle cages are mounted?

William
04-15-2006, 05:13 AM

Birddog

I've already got the bar wrap, aero bars, bottle cages ready for the Deere. Does Bell or Giro have a helmet that comes in JD green & yellow???

William ;)

Bradford
04-15-2006, 08:23 AM
As a surprise to William I'm mounting tubulars on the Deere before he picks it up. :banana:

William
04-15-2006, 08:42 AM
As a surprise to William I'm mounting tubulars on the Deere before he picks it up. :banana:

:banana: :banana: YOU REWL!!! :banana: :banana:

William

beungood
04-15-2006, 04:46 PM
Good choice on the 'Deere bro they are the best.

Here is my rig, a Scott with hydramatic transmission. Scott is actually made by John Deere.

William
04-28-2006, 08:37 AM
Bradford,

Thank you much. :beer: I'm really lovin the Deere. Now I just need my official green JD ball cap. I won't post a pic until it's all dirty and grimey from real yard work. ;)

William

quattro
04-28-2006, 08:58 AM
William, your prior post assumes that those that live outside of the great State of Rhode Island know what you were referring to when you said..."Grinder", I do, I doubt many others do. Can I get a coffee cabinet to go with that Grinder? Cheers!

William
04-28-2006, 09:18 AM
William, your prior post assumes that those that live outside of the great State of Rhode Island know what you were referring to when you said..."Grinder", I do, I doubt many others do. Can I get a coffee cabinet to go with that Grinder? Cheers!

Grinder and a Coffee Cabinet? That sounds Awful Awful. ;)

William

quattro
04-28-2006, 09:38 AM
...AWFUL GOOD! Bet you can't drink three of them? Makes me thirsty just thinking about it, I'm off to the bubbler. ;)

William
04-28-2006, 09:49 AM
...AWFUL GOOD! Bet you can't drink three of them? Makes me thirsty just thinking about it, I'm off to the bubbler. ;)

Yes, a little early for the packy. ;)

William

quattro
04-28-2006, 10:17 AM
"Hi, Neighbor, Have a 'Gansett." In production once again, Yes! :beer:

Ahneida Ride
04-28-2006, 01:47 PM
Uncle William

Check out Honda and Kubota. Look for a used one in good shape.

I have heard that the John Deers sold and Big Mart are inferior to
the deers sold at a lawn shop. Different model line.
So be carful if you shop China Mart.

William
04-28-2006, 03:40 PM
Uncle William

Check out Honda and Kubota. Look for a used one in good shape.

I have heard that the John Deers sold and Big Mart are inferior to
the deers sold at a lawn shop. Different model line.
So be carful if you shop China Mart.

Thanks for the advice fellow big guy. I bought Bradford's who bought it new a few years ago from the real deal, not the chop shop China mart.

Came with a spreader, bagger, old mower deck, new mower deck (only used once before by Mrs Bradford on a Sunday ;) ), plow, tire chains, stump pulling chain, tune up kit, mulching kit, and official JD grease gun and yellow & Green touch up paint. Oh, and it has flames on it too. :cool:

Mr. & Mrs B took first class care of it. :cool:

William

RichardSeton
04-28-2006, 03:50 PM
I was trying to resist responding, but can't any more.

We solved the problem by not having any grass. We converted (or are trying to convert) our yard back into a native landscape. This can go months without attention. However, when we do get to it, we can spend two solid days - mostly trying to get rid on the introduced species.

Richard "Ivy is taking over the PNW" Seton

A couple of question for you yard experts out there.

1.) After that weekend morning ride when your S.O. want's you to get busy with the Honey-do's, what type of riding mower do you jump on? I've got a lot of yard to take care of now and the grass is starting to grow again. There's no freakin way I'm going to get out there with a push mower....I'd have to skip my ride and spend all day pushing. What brand of rider do you all suggest?

2.) Green, green grass...
We have a well on the property so I don't want to use any chemical fertilizers on the grass. Any suggestions on getting a healthy green lawn without chemicals? Is it as simple as plenty of water? It doesn't need to be lush like a golf course, but just healthy....not brown and dying.

Thanks,
William