PDA

View Full Version : SF/Marin bike fitting?

dolface
03-16-2015, 07:24 PM
Search appears to be broken right now but if you have a link to a previous thread that would be awesome.

If not, who's your recommendation for bike fitting in SF/Marin and why?

If they solved an issue for you what was it and what was the solution?

ginsued
03-16-2015, 08:09 PM
I was having knee pains and Colin from Studio Velo in Marin helped me out. They have a retul fit system which helps them get precise measurements. He adjusted a few things for me and I have used the fit coordinates he gave me to set up future bikes and shoes to be the same as before.

Search appear be broken right now but if you have a link to a previous thread that would be awesome.

fogrider
03-16-2015, 09:41 PM
Search appears to be broken right now but if you have a link to a previous thread that would be awesome.

Tony at Bicycle Odyssey. I had a problem with my knees after many years of riding with cleats. it took him less than 30 minutes to nail the problem, made some adjustments and I've been good ever since!

dolface
03-16-2015, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the recommendations!

(If it makes any difference, the main issue I'm trying to solve is soreness in my right achilles that shows up after about 4 hours. It happens on all 4 of the bikes I ride regularly so I'm guessing it's not just about the fit).

bfd
03-16-2015, 11:35 PM
Tony at Bicycle Odyssey. I had a problem with my knees after many years of riding with cleats. it took him less than 30 minutes to nail the problem, made some adjustments and I've been good ever since!

Another vote for Tony Tom at A Bicycle Odyssey! Tony has been fitting people since 1975! He's one of the best fitters in the Bay Area and can help you solve your problem! Good Luck!

plattyjo
03-17-2015, 08:06 AM
Hey, hey! Nice to see you on here.

I love Colin as he's a dear friend, but the basic fit I had from him didn't really help me out. I was having knee issues and the saddle I was using (and its position) just didn't work out. I went tried a ton (http://www.plattyjo.com/leather-saddles-and-me-were-just-not-meant-to-be-sort-of/) of different saddles, seatposts, etc. and it wasn't until I went to Jason at Montano Velo that he sorted out my issue. No problems since -- even up to a 1000k! So I highly recommend him. He's more old school and doesn't have any fancy gear, but he's really intuitive and I felt could really troubleshoot what the problem was. (I now primarily use one saddle, a Cambium C17s, one most of my bikes, too.) I also am a big fan of Tony, and have heard good things about Ari at Bespoke Cycles; lots of randos recommended him to me as well. Good luck!

KWalker
03-17-2015, 10:44 AM
Depends on your budget.

If you have the cash the no brainer is Curtis at Revolutions in Fitness. He has fit so many pro triathletes and road racers that rely on their performance and comfort for a living and he also has a gamut of tools that others do not including his saddle and cleat pressure sensors. Combined with an actual PT background/education, not just reading some ···· in his spare time, he actually provides comprehensive plans for improving imbalances and injuries.

A good case in point was that a teammate of mine was having a weird hip issue when pedaling at high efforts. He went to Curtis and they pressure mapped his cleats and adjusted his crank lengths and took readings at various power outputs. He went in with his cleats in a neutral position on 172.5 arms and left with them 1cm rearward, 5mm more inboard, and wedged with 167.5 arms. Combined with the PT routine he no longer has these imbalances.

The problem is that Curtis is $265 an hour.....

Wade at Spokesman is another guy that a lot of pros have driven long distances to see. He knows Curtis very well, who endorses his work. He charges $265 for an entire fit session, but doesn't go into quite as much depth.

I would avoid 3D Bikefit and some of the other shops mentioned in this thread so far based on the feedback I have gotten from teammates and friends.

gngroup
03-17-2015, 11:24 AM
I'm going to have to go on record and say that I would definitely avoid Tony at Bicycle Odyssey and look at some of these other options/fitters instead.

dolface
03-17-2015, 11:41 AM
Thanks for all the input, I'm definitely willing to spend some money/drive some dustance to get this right.

brando
03-17-2015, 12:10 PM
I was happy with Craig Upton. I wasn't solving for any issues but I did start riding slightly smaller frames and still do. http://www.craigupton.com

Waldo
03-17-2015, 12:12 PM
Rich Yu, a bike whisperer......

ronlau
03-17-2015, 02:36 PM
I will suggest Ari at Bespoke. I had one from him a year ago and it worked out well.

ginsued
03-17-2015, 03:20 PM
I actually went to Jason when I just started cycling and would recommend him as well.

Hey, hey! Nice to see you on here.

I love Colin as he's a dear friend, but the basic fit I had from him didn't really help me out. I was having knee issues and the saddle I was using (and its position) just didn't work out. I went tried a ton (http://www.plattyjo.com/leather-saddles-and-me-were-just-not-meant-to-be-sort-of/) of different saddles, seatposts, etc. and it wasn't until I went to Jason at Montano Velo that he sorted out my issue. No problems since -- even up to a 1000k! So I highly recommend him. He's more old school and doesn't have any fancy gear, but he's really intuitive and I felt could really troubleshoot what the problem was. (I now primarily use one saddle, a Cambium C17s, one most of my bikes, too.) I also am a big fan of Tony, and have heard good things about Ari at Bespoke Cycles; lots of randos recommended him to me as well. Good luck!

ginsued
03-17-2015, 03:25 PM
I have heard getting an appointment with Curtis is quite difficult. More of who referred you than anything else. But yes, given the original poster's issue, going to Curtis could help with specific exercises and therapies.

Depends on your budget.

If you have the cash the no brainer is Curtis at Revolutions in Fitness. He has fit so many pro triathletes and road racers that rely on their performance and comfort for a living and he also has a gamut of tools that others do not including his saddle and cleat pressure sensors. Combined with an actual PT background/education, not just reading some ···· in his spare time, he actually provides comprehensive plans for improving imbalances and injuries.

A good case in point was that a teammate of mine was having a weird hip issue when pedaling at high efforts. He went to Curtis and they pressure mapped his cleats and adjusted his crank lengths and took readings at various power outputs. He went in with his cleats in a neutral position on 172.5 arms and left with them 1cm rearward, 5mm more inboard, and wedged with 167.5 arms. Combined with the PT routine he no longer has these imbalances.

The problem is that Curtis is $265 an hour.....

Wade at Spokesman is another guy that a lot of pros have driven long distances to see. He knows Curtis very well, who endorses his work. He charges $265 for an entire fit session, but doesn't go into quite as much depth.

I would avoid 3D Bikefit and some of the other shops mentioned in this thread so far based on the feedback I have gotten from teammates and friends.