PDA

View Full Version : Di2 specific frames

LegendRider
03-16-2015, 04:04 PM
Among the big brands, who offers a Di2 specific frame? I see that Cannondale has one, but it appears that Trek and Specialized don't. Am I missing something? What about Colnago, Pinarello, Wilier, etc.?

It would be a little irksome to spend a small fortune on a top-end carbon frame and electronic group, and have to plug holes in the downtube with plastic caps.

buckfifty
03-16-2015, 04:07 PM
Cervelo and Van Dessel have frames with routing options for electronic groups

jonnyBgood
03-16-2015, 04:21 PM
Among the big brands, who offers a Di2 specific frame? I see that Cannondale has one, but it appears that Trek and Specialized don't. Am I missing something? What about Colnago, Pinarello, Wilier, etc.?

It would be a little irksome to spend a small fortune on a top-end carbon frame and electronic group, and have to plug holes in the downtube with plastic caps.

Specialized and Trek both have internal routing for cables so you can use either. The frames come with all the necessary grommets.

oldpotatoe
03-16-2015, 04:30 PM

Just about all you mention(all?) are now internal mechanical or electronic. The only question is which has Specific bottle bosses and charge port hole for V2 internal EPS.

shovelhd
03-16-2015, 05:29 PM
Felt frame kits have been mechanical or electronic since 2012.

dolface
03-16-2015, 05:43 PM
Focus also has electric-ready frames (not sure if you can buy a bare frame though?)

03-16-2015, 09:04 PM
Fuji also has Di2 only frames. You can get last year's Di2-only frames at great prices and frankly, they are great frames. One of the best deals in better quality factory frames. And the Di2 setup is really well thought out, better than what most manufacturers do.

Cannondale does a really good job of engineering the cable stops and ports so you can swap from cabled to Di2. It's very nice if you want a dual-mode frame. I'm always a fan of a basic CAAD10.

There are also custom frames. They can be the nicest way to get a Di2 frame.

One thing: The curse of many Di2 frames is when the port for the cable going down to the bottom bracket is about 5 inches away from the rear brake cable housing. This means the Di2 wire has to dangle in open space, subject to fatigue, snagging, whatever. And it just looks ugly. The good designs have the Di2 port within a quarter inch or so of where your brake housing goes inside the frame. Then you can run the brake housing plus the e-wire through a piece of heat-shrinkable tubing for as long a run as possible, then heat it to secure them next to each other. It looks very neat and protects the e-wire. Obviously if the e-wire can follow the rear brake housing for a while and then has to go dangling until it reaches a port farther down on the down tube, it doesn't work as well. I've gotten top frames that can't seem to do it right (Moots, I love your bikes, but are you listening on this point?) when Cannondale can do a beautiful job of it.

RedRider
03-16-2015, 10:46 PM
All 2015 carbon Colnago frames can be used for both mechanical or electric drivetrains.

FlashUNC
03-17-2015, 06:56 AM
As others mentioned, manufacturers are saving costs by making frames that can go either way.

I think Time is still making electronic/mechanical specific framesets, but they're one of the only ones that comes to top of mind.

LegendRider
03-17-2015, 07:36 AM
All 2015 carbon Colnago frames can be used for both mechanical or electric drivetrains.

So, the Colnago has two ports in the downtube (near the headtube) for the cables or wires. However, one port would not be used for Di2 and it would be plugged with something. And, this is a typical set-up, correct?

RedRider
03-17-2015, 08:52 AM
So, the Colnago has two ports in the downtube (near the headtube) for the cables or wires. However, one port would not be used for Di2 and it would be plugged with something. And, this is a typical set-up, correct?

Most Colnago frames come with a grommet-like plug for the unused port. The new V1-R has a bolt-on plate that either has one port for each side(for mechanical) or one with no hole and the other with 2 (for electric). This is a really well engineered detail.

jonnyBgood
03-17-2015, 09:05 AM
I have a BRAND NEW 56cm Specialized S-Works SL4 Tarmac that has never been built up has internal routing for both styles of cables if you're looking for a new frame :)

oldpotatoe
03-17-2015, 11:30 AM
Most Colnago frames come with a grommet-like plug for the unused port. The new V1-R has a bolt-on plate that either has one port for each side(for mechanical) or one with no hole and the other with 2 (for electric). This is a really well engineered detail.

Does Colnago still have the option to put the battery outside? With a slot under the BB? I really prefer external batteries. Almost every issue I've seen are related to connectors. Outside batteries have 'some' connectors outside. Besides, people can see how cool you are to have electronic..with a visible battery. :)

batman1425
03-17-2015, 11:37 AM
My 2013 Ridley Helium has external mechanical routing with ports for internal electronic. No option for internal battery (ISP) and no special mounting location so "old school" water bottle boss mount is the only option.

Well, you might be able to squeeze the internal battery into the ISP. I haven't measured the diameter to see if it would fit - tear drop shaped.

shovelhd
03-17-2015, 11:43 AM
I should also mention that Felt allows either internal or external battery mount options. For external, the NDS chainstay has bosses for the short Di2 external battery mount. There is only one hole for the single cable that links the junction boxes.

RedRider
03-17-2015, 11:52 AM
Does Colnago still have the option to put the battery outside? With a slot under the BB? I really prefer external batteries. Almost every issue I've seen are related to connectors. Outside batteries have 'some' connectors outside. Besides, people can see how cool you are to have electronic..with a visible battery. :)

Colnago has no bolts or accommodation for external batteries on their new frames ... The C-60 has a port for charging internal EPS on the underside of the downtube in front of the BB. For DI2, the Junction Box on the stem makes an internal battery much easier to charge and update software. Everything is going internal. I doubt you will see external batteries offered in the next couple of years...