PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here have an opinion on the Gravel Kings?

Lewis Moon
03-16-2015, 10:42 AM
I'm looking for a set of big volume "road" tires for my cross bikes. Anyone have any experience with the Gravel Kings by Panaracer?

GRAVELBIKE
03-16-2015, 10:54 AM
They're excellent tires. The 28mm model is my favorite. The ride is smooth, and puncture resistance is very good. Size runs true. Quality is consistent and very good. You can read my reviews here (http://www.gravelbike.com/?s=gravelking&submit=Search).

Also check out Compass' tires. The 32mm Stampede Pass model works extremely well on dirt roads w/o being slow on pavement.

Lewis Moon
03-16-2015, 11:05 AM
They're excellent tires. The 28mm model is my favorite. The ride is smooth, and puncture resistance is very good. Size runs true. Quality is consistent and very good. You can read my reviews here (http://www.gravelbike.com/?s=gravelking&submit=Search).

Also check out Compass' tires. The 32mm Stampede Pass model works extremely well on dirt roads w/o being slow on pavement.

That's exactly the info I needed. Thanks. I'm going to go with the 32s to be semi consistent with the size of the 'cross tires I ride. Have you tried the herringbone tread model?

brando
03-16-2015, 11:08 AM
First test ride was the "Tainthammer" mixed terrain with no elevation. They are real tough, showed literally no wear after 115 miles of sharp rocks, broken asphalt, gravel etc... They roll fairly fast, with a round profile that is great on road and ok on gravel or soft surface where they sink in a little bit. No bueno in mud. They are big road slicks, not 35s that give more confidence on loose descending. Hope that helps.

Lewis Moon
03-16-2015, 11:14 AM
Hey wait a sec, I was looking on their website...do they not make the 32 anymore?

GRAVELBIKE
03-16-2015, 11:14 AM
That's exactly the info I needed. Thanks. I'm going to go with the 32s to be semi consistent with the size of the 'cross tires I ride. Have you tried the herringbone tread model?

The 23/26/28 sizes have the herringbone tread. Only the 32mm version has the knobby tread. I, personally, prefer the herringbone tread.

Panaracer has plans to release a 700x40 model that utilizes the herringbone tread.

Lewis Moon
03-16-2015, 11:19 AM
The 23/26/28 sizes have the herringbone tread. Only the 32mm version has the knobby tread. I, personally, prefer the herringbone tread.

Panaracer has plans to release a 700x40 model that utilizes the herringbone tread.

Crap. I'm looking for a 32ish with a smooth tread.

GRAVELBIKE
03-16-2015, 11:23 AM
Crap. I'm looking for a 32ish with a smooth tread.

Panaracer Pasela w/o the puncture armor works well.

CAAD
03-16-2015, 11:34 AM
I have a few few hundred miles on my 28c kings. Great tires. Lots of gravel miles on them with no issues. No cuts, no flats. Gravel or packed limestone only i run them 65f/70r psi. Gravel/road 75f/80r. Road only 90f/95r. They are a super smooth riding tire. For the price i dont think they can be beat.

weisan
03-16-2015, 11:40 AM

Etu pal was kind enough to send me a used pair to try it out and I finally did yesterday... holy moly, to borrow famous last words...

"People say they are fast... I didn't know they were THAT fast!" :D

Lewis Moon
03-16-2015, 11:56 AM
Panaracer Pasela w/o the puncture armor works well.

Only steel bead....:mad:

GRAVELBIKE
03-16-2015, 11:58 AM
Only steel bead....:mad:

Compass Stampede Pass have folding beads, are light, and very supple. Made by Panaracer.

Vittoria Voyager Hyper also work well, IME.

gomango
03-16-2015, 12:19 PM
I'm also considering Gravel Kings for a build that will occasionally see packed limestone trails.

Can anyone compare them to Rolly Polys?

700X28 is the largest size I can stuff between the stays.

Lanterne Rouge
03-16-2015, 02:28 PM

I really like the Grand Bois but I don't know how tough they'd be and horrid limestone chips.

bluesea
03-16-2015, 03:18 PM

Compass Stampede Pass 28c on Archetype rims, fit with room for 2mm more tire on top and both sides. Is there another possibly more durable but still smooth-ish 28c?

Ian
03-16-2015, 03:49 PM

+1 for Stampede Pass 32mm. I run them on my cross bike and love them.

rrudoff
03-16-2015, 06:41 PM
I'm very happy with the 28s, have them on two bikes, one for L'Eroica, where they worked great, and as my road/gravel tires on my cross bike. Seem fast, and smooth. So far no flats and no cuts