PDA

View Full Version : Internally routed cable question

Kingfisher
03-16-2015, 06:29 AM
i'm in process of routing brake and deraillur cables thru a Klein q pro that i acquired from a fellow forumite and have a question regarding inner linings.
do i need these cables to have a lining installed over them while inside the frame or will just bare cable be sufficient for operation.
btw, it is a major pain to do this!!! my first time with internally routed cables and i'm at the point of giving up and taking to lbs.
thanks

oldpotatoe
03-16-2015, 06:37 AM
i'm in process of routing brake and deraillur cables thru a Klein q pro that i acquired from a fellow forumite and have a question regarding inner linings.
do i need these cables to have a lining installed over them while inside the frame or will just bare cable be sufficient for operation.
btw, it is a major pain to do this!!! my first time with internally routed cables and i'm at the point of giving up and taking to lbs.
thanks

The downtube inner liner was to allow der cable threading plus it reduced friction down there as they exited the down tube. 'Almost' impossible w/o the liners in this frame, to find the wee hole in the downtube. May try a vacuum but the liners are pretty essential. They had a mushroomed end at the top to sit against the top hole so they didn't 'wander'.

Kingfisher
03-16-2015, 06:40 AM
so brake cable in top tube does not need liner?
you are correct about the wee hole near bb, it is so small..i'll keep trying
thanks

zap
03-16-2015, 07:00 AM
Eleven years and counting of Klein Q Pro ownership.

No liners for any of the cables.

The only time liners are used is when you are about to pull the cables out. This of course makes inserting new cable easy. After new cables are through the frame then you slide the liners out and fasten cables to components.

oldpotatoe
03-16-2015, 07:04 AM
Eleven years and counting of Klein Q Pro ownership.

No liners for any of the cables.

The only time liners are used is when you are about to pull the cables out. This of course makes inserting new cable easy. After new cables are through the frame then you slide the liners out and fasten cables to components.

Well, all true, particularly with the install cables part(brake also, for the OP) but the frame was designed to have the mushroom ended liners stay. If there aren't there, threading cables can be 'challenging'.

zap
03-16-2015, 07:21 AM
Frames came supplied with liners but Klein instructions (still have them) state these were to be used only to ease assembly. I kept my liners and and slide them over the old cables before sliding them out. Taped the liners in place so they would not accidentally slide back into the frame, slide new cables in, removed liners and attached cables to components.

oldpotatoe
03-16-2015, 07:27 AM
Frames came supplied with liners but Klein instructions (still have them) state these were to be used only to ease assembly. I kept my liners and and slide them over the old cables before sliding them out. Taped the liners in place so they would not accidentally slide back into the frame, slide new cables in, removed liners and attached cables to components.

Well, if you have the instructions. Built more than a few Kleins..all had the liners in place. Glad they did..otherwise not sure you could find the wee hole in the downtube.

zap
03-16-2015, 07:56 AM
sigh.

Kingfisher
03-16-2015, 08:15 AM
Top tube brake cable is in!!!!
Now I'll howl at the moon and sacrifice a chicken to get mojo working for deraillurs!!!!

Jeff N.
03-16-2015, 09:18 AM
No liners. Keep monkeying with it, you'll get 'em through. -Jeff N.

mktng
03-16-2015, 09:22 AM
anyone ever try GCN's potentially useful trick with the thread and vacuum cleaner?

ANAO
03-16-2015, 10:21 AM
I just tried on my new giant. The exit tube is too big and the vacuum was rendered ineffective.

zap
03-16-2015, 11:26 AM
Here you go. Page 62 & 63 has some useful information.

http://www.vintage-trek.com/Trek-Fisher-Klein-Lemond/2003specmanualKlein.pdf

bart998
03-16-2015, 12:41 PM
Old trick... run a thread or string through the tube and use a vacuum to suck the end out the small hole.... use the thread to pull your cable through.

oldpotatoe
03-16-2015, 03:01 PM
sigh.

Sigh is right, now let's talk about unique to that frame pressed in BB bearings.

Gary(both, Klein and Fisher) ought to be ashamed.

Jeff N.
03-16-2015, 03:41 PM
Sigh is right, now let's talk about unique to that frame pressed in BB bearings.

Gary(both, Klein and Fisher) ought to be ashamed.Agreed.

Kingfisher
03-16-2015, 03:47 PM
cables are all in (after a trip to harbor freight for some dental tweezers and pics).

in regards to pressed in bb, i just installed ultegra 6800 groupo on it, conventional english threaded bb with ultegra cups.

Jeff N.
03-16-2015, 04:58 PM
'96 and older Kleins had the pressed-in BB. '97 and later were English threaded. Jeff N.