PDA

View Full Version : Adirondack riding

PaMtbRider
03-15-2015, 05:47 PM
The Mrs and I will be spending a week in the Adirondacks in June. Any favorite rides in the area or attractions we shouldn't miss? We will be camping in a travel trailer and will tie this in with the Dirtphalt weekend in Cooperstown June 27 & 28.

rpettet
03-15-2015, 06:13 PM
Great rides from there . Placid planet bike shop has que sheets.

parris
03-15-2015, 06:17 PM
If you're heading through Utica at all and have the time the Saranac brewery is a decent way to stretch your legs. Where about will you be? There's tons of good riding through the entire region.

I just remembered that you've got the 2 Kirks. Dave grew up and rode that area for quite a few years so it's kind of cool that you'll be in the area. :)

tkbike
03-15-2015, 06:37 PM
Adirondacks are quite large, whereabouts will you be staying? MTB or road?

I am quite familiar with the high peaks area, spent the last two weekends ice climbing and hiking in the cascade lake, chapel pond areas.

I am more familiar with the MTB areas but know that you can't drive anywhere without seeing numerous training rides getting ready for Ironman!

majorpat
03-15-2015, 07:06 PM
This is a great resource:

http://thomannengineering.com/software/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Adirondackmtnbikeguide.pdf

PaMtbRider
03-15-2015, 07:48 PM
We will be sticking to roads / dirt roads, no mountain biking on this trip. We have a week off and no plans other than ending the week in Cooperstown. We were thinking about lake placid since we haven't been there in about 15 years. Open to any and all suggestions. We typically like to fill our day with biking and / or hiking and exploring any local attractions. Breweries and wineries are nice for late afternoon / evenings.

Tom
03-16-2015, 09:46 AM
June 20 is the ADK 540 'gran fondo'. Basically a 135 mile ride from Wilmington to Placid to Ticonderoga, hang a left at Westport and return by way of Elizabethtown, Keene and Jay. Usually not a big bunch and you're generally on your own though Ceceri keeps track of people on the road. Nice ride.

Likes2ridefar
03-16-2015, 09:46 AM
up whiteface mtn!

summilux
03-16-2015, 12:20 PM
Up Whiteface is a good climb. Tough one though.
Lake Placid to Keene Valley and back is a very scenic and demanding day.
If you want scenery with relatively little effort, rides around Keene Valley are fairly level with good views of the High Peaks. My experience with the "Daks is that drivers are quite tolerant of cyclists and there are good shoulders through-out. IIRC, there's some kind of national cycling training center in Lake Placid.

For a quick day hike, I'd recommend going up Cascade/Porter. They are easily accessible from the highway and its about 2 hours up to the peak of Cascade, where the view is spectacular. Bag your first High Peak here.

Rainbow Falls from the St. Huberts lot is another nice hike, especially if you don't feel like climbing much. Maybe 3-4 hours return.

If you hike, Adirondak trails tend to be muddy most of the year.

Just outside Lake Placid, there's a really good BBQ place. Can't remember the name, but you can't miss it. It's right next to the highway and has tons of outdoor picnic benches.

Likes2ridefar
03-16-2015, 12:29 PM
algonquin is another quick day hike if you are in good shape. I think it's only 4 miles out and back.

it's basically straight up and straight down but the view is worth it!

my only complaint about riding in the 'dacks is the limited roads so therefore you are always being buzzed by cars if you take a route like the keene valley to lake placid mentioned. it is beautiful and has a nice, long climb out of keene, but be prepared to have cars constantly passing.

it's a shame because it's beautiful there.

Likes2ridefar
03-16-2015, 12:31 PM
June 20 is the ADK 540 'gran fondo'. Basically a 135 mile ride from Wilmington to Placid to Ticonderoga, hang a left at Westport and return by way of Elizabethtown, Keene and Jay. Usually not a big bunch and you're generally on your own though Ceceri keeps track of people on the road. Nice ride.

I did this one on my single speed a number of years ago. that was one heckuva ride. probably my favorite I've done in the area besides climbing whiteface since it's often outside the typical tourist area with much less traffic.

fiamme red
04-25-2017, 10:37 AM
Can anyone who knows the area give me an idea of how heavy traffic is on Route 73 going northwest from Route 9 to Keene Valley? I'm thinking of riding this stretch together with a few friends (as part of a longer tour) on a weekday morning in late July or early August. From Google Street View, there doesn't appear to be much of a shoulder on the descent from Chapel Pond to Keene Valley, so that a cyclist would need to take the lane. Would there be so much Lake Placid traffic on Route 73 that the descent could potentially be dangerous?

CNY rider
04-25-2017, 10:46 AM
Can anyone who knows the area give me an idea of how heavy traffic is on Route 73 going northwest from Route 9 to Keene Valley? I'm thinking of riding this stretch together with a few friends (as part of a longer tour) on a weekday morning in late July or early August. From Google Street View, there doesn't appear to be much of a shoulder on the descent from Chapel Pond to Keene Valley, so that a cyclist would need to take the lane. Would there be so much Lake Placid traffic on Route 73 that the descent could potentially be dangerous?

That would not be a pleasant place to ride.
If you can re-route around it you should.

fiamme red
04-25-2017, 10:56 AM
That would not be a pleasant place to ride.
If you can re-route around it you should.Thanks, I really appreciate your advice. I had no idea that Route 73 traffic is usually so heavy on a weekday. What about early in the morning, around 8 a.m.?