View Full Version : weekend racing?

manet
04-11-2006, 08:57 PM
moi _ central park spring series.
anyone else?

http://www.metropolitancycling.com/Sche.html

Dr. Doofus
04-11-2006, 09:00 PM
not until 22.4 -- I'On village (in mt. pleasant sc...wanted to do charleston the on 23.4...but have to chaperone the flipping prom, in all its vulgarity -- and not in a good way -- after the I'On race, and driving 6.5 hours in one weekend to do two races after having overdosed on pastel chiffon is just not doof's trip).

Argos
04-11-2006, 11:38 PM
I'll saddle up to the bar with the loose change in my pocket. Especially after the verbal thrashing Roy and Roy* gave me last 'cross season.

I am seriouslyconsidering doing a 6 hour MTB race on the 22nd (doof, that is 22.4) but I keep crashing on my MTB rides and landing specifcally on my left leg. It's now commical. My milage is way up, and I did a 5 hour test 2 weeks ago, with only one bail into a stream.... Not bad... The rest of me is fine but there is nothing but scar tissue on my stump of a left leg.

After that, I'm doing the Wintergreen Ascent in Virginia on May 6. I think it;s 7 miles at an average of 8% and a max of 15%. I registered online as a 4, but that's a joke. I did not even renew my license yet for this year. My cousin rides cictzen, just for fun and lives in Richmond. We have not seen his family in a few years so we are making a road trip to introduce the 1 year olds and have my butt handed to me on a hill climb.

Ok, so to summerize, I suck. Expectations are low in the first race for showing up, and the second race for not finishing last. My chips are on the table.

*Don't worry, I don't get the joke either. Maybe it's a duality of man thing....

shinomaster
04-12-2006, 01:50 AM
to get my fat *** back into shape.

Too Tall
04-12-2006, 08:12 AM
Argos, have fun sufferin' at WG. I raced that two seasons ago. If you need any tips let me know. If you have family there, have a blanket and a chair ready at the end boyeeee. It is without a doubt a life changing experience.

Argos
04-12-2006, 08:32 AM
TT,

Thanks. Mentally, I am prepared. As for riding, I am riding like when I was getting ready for MW, 'cept much less milage this year. It will be what it is.

The profile "looks" like a gradual climb for a few miles, then a wall, then a gradual climb. Is this a correct interpretation of the map? I'd love to hear your recollection.

theprep
04-12-2006, 08:44 AM
Our East End/Kreb Cycle team has showed up for 4 masters races and has a 1st and a 3rd to show for it. Spicoli could probably win everyone of em, if he wasn't so fat and rode more than 2x week. :bike: He even has Italian tires now.

As much as I love getting up at 4 am to race, with Easter and my sons lacrosse games, I'm done for the next 4 weeks.

andy mac
04-12-2006, 09:08 AM
i manet i'm in town and might come down to watch. where's the start/finish line?

:beer:

andy

zap
04-12-2006, 09:29 AM
Argos, two sections at the top are closer to 20%. Don't look at the profile as it's harder than it looks.

I did it last year when I could barely walk straight so I rode it like a tourist. Still had fun though.

Argos
04-12-2006, 10:53 AM
Argos, two sections at the top are closer to 20%. Don't look at the profile as it's harder than it looks.

I did it last year when I could barely walk straight so I rode it like a tourist. Still had fun though.

Yeah, well that's sort of how I'm looking at it. Do it, have fun, get a feel for it, and then I'll have something to beat next year. It's closer and more accessible then MW was when I lived in NY, and I plan on being in the area for quite a few years.

Fun, fun, fun. Thanks for the tip on the profile!

manet
04-12-2006, 10:54 AM
i manet i'm in town and might come down to watch. where's the start/finish line?

:beer:

andy

start time 6:30 am, SUNDAY
3 or 4 laps x 6 mi.

start/finish is behind the southern end of the MET(metroplitan museum of art)
at the crest of Cat Hill (vernacular for bronze big-cat sculpture on rock outcropping)

go to below link, click on 75-86 st., then eastside. the start/finish is where
the 'ell' of 'king jagiello' crosses the east drive.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.centralpark2000.com/assets/map/maps/runners_sm.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.centralpark2000.com/maps/map_runners_loop.html&h=480&w=138&sz=18&tbnid=pZgwUkWlpSZ2SM:&tbnh=126&tbnw=36&hl=en&start=4&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcentral%2Bpark%2Brunner%2Bloop%2B%26s vnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DG

i will be in the 3/4 field resplendent in a blue + orange kit (CNYC), riding a
compact spectrum-ti. pete, my pal will be on a flat black cannondale _ same kit (duh)
and likely the race's protagonist.

look forward

zap
04-12-2006, 11:12 AM
Argos, one section did take me by surprise a bit.

The section just before the turn into Wintergreen Resort was harder than I anticipated. It doesn't look all that steep, so I didn't expect my heart rate to increase as much as it did at that point.

I used a 39x25 low gear, but know others that used 27 or even 29.

fiamme red
04-12-2006, 11:33 AM
i will be in the 3/4 field resplendent in a blue + orange kit (CNYC), riding a
compact spectrum-ti. pete, my pal will be on a flat black cannondale _ same kit (duh)
and likely the race's protagonist.

look forwardCentral New York Cyclists?

manet
04-12-2006, 11:55 AM
Central New York Cyclists?

oui, oui

titans
04-12-2006, 12:24 PM
hey manet! good luck at CP...whats with the colors. :) :D .

manet
04-12-2006, 12:37 PM
hey manet! good luck at CP...whats with the colors. :) :D .

'hommage to rabobank with a hint of euskaltel in the more recent
design. Urban Athlete(s) have a toooo similar theme.

credit where credit's due: pal Peter started the team AND started TWO
road races, all in the middle of nowheresville (apologies to our hartwick
new york forum member) check it out:

http://www.geocities.com/velosophy/

april 22 Check Your Legs Road Race:

http://www.racelistings.com/races/rdatlanticnewengland/index2.asp

fiamme red
04-12-2006, 12:47 PM
april 22 Check Your Legs Road Race:

http://www.racelistings.com/races/rdatlanticnewengland/index2.aspI was going to say that the Cherry Blossom race (Branchbrook Park) is pretty close to you (short train ride), but it's also 4/22.

Spicoli
04-12-2006, 12:55 PM
Our East End/Kreb Cycle team has showed up for 4 masters races and has a 1st and a 3rd to show for it. Spicoli could probably win everyone of em, if he wasn't so fat and rode more than 2x week. :bike: He even has Italian tires now.

As much as I love getting up at 4 am to race, with Easter and my sons lacrosse games, I'm done for the next 4 weeks.
I am not FAT I'm big boned! and every other week I ride 3x so bite it you biter! :butt:
Its called economy of movement. :banana:

Dude
04-12-2006, 08:21 PM
Manet racing? Nice!! Just stay on Pete's wheel and you are good to go. If you finish up in time, come on down to Mt. Joy RR out here in Lancaster! Keep us posted on how you do.

Dude
04-12-2006, 09:42 PM
Actually, it looks like Mt. Joy closed me out. Can i come up and crash at your place saturday night and then we race in teh 3/4's together on sunday?

Seriously, PM me.

manet
04-12-2006, 11:16 PM
Actually, it looks like Mt. Joy closed me out. Can i come up and crash at your place saturday night and then we race in teh 3/4's together on sunday?

Seriously, PM me.

consider yourself PM'd

Dude
04-13-2006, 10:50 AM
talk soon punk!!