PDA

View Full Version : Where to ride in the Santa Barbara CA area

guido
03-15-2015, 02:11 PM
After a winter of too much snow, too much ice/snow removal, a nasty cold and way too little riding, I'm headed out to sunny Santa Barbara, CA to visit my brother and try to get in a few road miles in before the new england brevet season entirely passes me by.

Anyone have any suggestions for 40-60 mile rides that are flat to rolling? I'm about a month behind where I should be in training so I'm absolutely not ready for Gibraltar/La Cumbre Peak or other killer climbs. Just want to get in some nice easy/moderate road miles to work on my base before I need to start in on climbing next month...

Thanks!

guido

MattTuck
03-15-2015, 04:19 PM
Can't help you, but it never it made sense why the road cycling season started so early in the spring in the north east. seems like it should start in may/june time frame rather than march/april.

guido
03-15-2015, 04:30 PM
I hear you!

The NE rando folks are off to an early start this year to qualify in time for PBP. I have no such aspirations this year so I'm doing the Vermont series that starts in early may. But given the winter I had I'm behind the curve for even that...

Can't help you, but it never it made sense why the road cycling season started so early in the spring in the north east. seems like it should start in may/june time frame rather than march/april.

Steve in SLO
03-15-2015, 04:54 PM
Athere is not a lot of absolutely flat around Santa Barbara. Most of the rides will be moderately rolling or better. There are number of rides that involve Cathedral Oaks Road = HWY 192, which tends to be flatter north towards UCSB, and south towards Montecito. There are also some rides that go through Hope Ranch and the Mesa which are not too hilly. Where exactly are you staying?

guido
03-15-2015, 06:17 PM
These are good starting points. Thanks!

I be staying South of 101 near West Carrillo street. But I'll have a rental car so I can get out and around as needed...

Athere is not a lot of absolutely flat around Santa Barbara. Most of the rides will be moderately rolling or better. There are number of rides that involve Cathedral Oaks Road = HWY 192, which tends to be flatter north towards UCSB, and south towards Montecito. There are also some rides that go through Hope Ranch and the Mesa which are not too hilly. Where exactly are you staying?

bcm119
03-15-2015, 06:49 PM
when I lived in SB and didn't feel like doing a lot of climbing, I'd head south along the coast to Carpinteria, and then take Casitas Pass Rd out to Ojai, eat a burrito, and then come back to Carp the same way, but stay on 192/Foothill Rd back to SB. I think it was around 70 round trip, and there is a bit of a climb on Casitas Pass and another short steep one at Toro Canyon, but it ain't Gibraltar. Just ask at a local shop about the route to Ojai, they can give you details. After the winter in the northeast this ride will be paradise, and probably challenging.

guido
03-15-2015, 06:53 PM
Sounds great. Thanks!
when I lived in SB and didn't feel like doing a lot of climbing, I'd head south along the coast to Carpinteria, and then take Casitas Pass Rd out to Ojai, eat a burrito, and then come back to Carp the same way, but stay on 192/Foothill Rd back to SB. I think it was around 70 round trip, and there is a bit of a climb on Casitas Pass and another short steep one at Toro Canyon, but it ain't Gibraltar. Just ask at a local shop about the route to Ojai, they can give you details. After the winter in the northeast this ride will be paradise, and probably challenging.

mrk_d
03-16-2015, 12:04 AM
I'd recommend Mountain Drive as a great option close to downtown SB - connect it to the 192 and you've got a really nice ride.

If you're up for freeway riding, the ride to Circle Bar B on Refugio Rd. and back is pretty nice as well.

slidey
03-16-2015, 10:16 AM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=164003

Waldo
03-16-2015, 11:45 AM
Climb Old San Marcos-Painted Cave and/or Gibraltar. Ride East Camino Cielo between the two climbs. Effing spectacular.

guido
03-16-2015, 12:10 PM
I've driven these roads on a previous trip out. Truly beautiful, and later in the season would be a great ride.

But I am way away from that kind of shape right now (you got snow to shovel I'm your guy. Hills to climb? Not so much quite yet...) and wanted a more modest option...

Climb Old San Marcos-Painted Cave and/or Gibraltar. Ride East Camino Cielo between the two climbs. Effing spectacular.

Maybe I should have titled this thread SB routes for the old and out of shape to avoid the confusion with the other thread...

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=164003

Waldo
03-16-2015, 12:34 PM
I've driven these roads on a previous trip out. Truly beautiful, and later in the season would be a great ride.

But I am way away from that kind of shape right now (you got snow to shovel I'm your guy. Hills to climb? Not so much quite yet...) and wanted a more modest option...

Maybe I should have titled this thread SB routes for the old and out of shape to avoid the confusion with the other thread...

Then drive to Santa Ynez Valley, where there's an abundance of flat riding. Other than the two major climbs, I find riding in Santa Barbara disappointing. It's a good place for commuters and climbers, but mediocre otherwise.

CaliFly
03-16-2015, 12:46 PM
We were supposed to do this 50-mile ride this past weekend in Solvang. (http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2574599) Ended up doing the metric century.

guido
03-16-2015, 12:49 PM
This is looking like the good bet. Thanks!

Then drive to Santa Ynez Valley, where there's an abundance of flat riding. Other than the two major climbs, I find riding in Santa Barbara disappointing. It's a good place for commuters and climbers, but mediocre otherwise.

guido
03-16-2015, 12:54 PM
I saw that one as i was poking around the ride_w_gps greater solvang area. It looked interesting. Thanks!

We were supposed to do this 50-mile ride this past weekend in Solvang. (http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2574599) Ended up doing the metric century.

enr1co
03-16-2015, 01:07 PM
If you're willing to drive north ~ 45 min, and can snag a map route of the Solvang century, it has some moderate rolling terrain with exception to a couple climbs. Even if you dont ride, the Solvang town area is a nice walk around. You can even feed emus and ostriches when there ;) www.ostrichlandusa.com/

Heard from some buds doing the Solvang event this past weekend and temps were in the high 90's :eek:

bking
03-16-2015, 02:16 PM

I road the century route last saturday. great ride. great country.

Jeff N.
03-16-2015, 08:56 PM
Did the Solvang Century this past Saturday. Nasty headwinds from Santa Maria on, through Foxen Canyon. Combined with the heat, it was a long day in the saddle for me. I felt beat up after crossing the finish line. Had the BBQ lunch, chased it with some of that great Firestone-Walker beer, then went back to the room and showered before collapsing on the bed and napping for a solid 2 hours. That said, it is easily my favorite Century ride anywhere. Hard to beat. This was my 23rd year-in-a-row. -Jeff N.

guido
03-24-2015, 07:19 PM
I did the 50 today. The weather gods saw an out of shape easterner and thought they would mess with him a bit... 77 degrees, 20 mph head wind (both ways)... Ouch.

guido
03-24-2015, 07:21 PM

Ken Robb
03-24-2015, 09:08 PM
Did the Solvang Century this past Saturday. Nasty headwinds from Santa Maria on, through Foxen Canyon. Combined with the heat, it was a long day in the saddle for me. I felt beat up after crossing the finish line. Had the BBQ lunch, chased it with some of that great Firestone-Walker beer, then went back to the room and showered before collapsing on the bed and napping for a solid 2 hours. That said, it is easily my favorite Century ride anywhere. Hard to beat. This was my 23rd year-in-a-row. -Jeff N.

You kids are such an inspiration to old guys like me. :)

kestrel58
03-25-2015, 12:09 PM
I second the freeway route. One of my favorite rides is to get on the 101 freeway just north (really west) of Goleta & motor north. The shoulder is quite wide & the rollers are not too steep. I usually get off the freeway & head up Refugio Cyn till I'm tired, then retrace your route to get back. There is water, snack, restroom breaks at the State beach parks, too. You'll get 50miles out of that. Head farther up to Gaviota if you want & make it 70+.

slidey
03-25-2015, 04:05 PM
Head farther up to Gaviota if you want & make it 70+.

Specifically, the last straightforward turn around to get on the 101 in the other direction before Gaviota, is Mariposa Reina.