PDA

View Full Version : Park Glueless Super Patch Kit -- input requested

Keith A
04-11-2006, 05:35 PM
I need to purchase some new tube patches and was curious about Park's glueless patch kit. I used a version of these several years ago and they didn't do a very good job of holding air, so I've been using the traditional method of patching my tubes. However, I have heard that Park has improved this patch and wanted to see if anyone has an opinion about this product.

Is this just for a temporary fix? Or will these last for the long haul?

znfdl
04-11-2006, 06:16 PM
I have the slime glueless patches and they work quite well.

Ken Robb
04-11-2006, 06:16 PM
I think of them as an emergency only fix to get me home. I haven't kept riding a tube patched with these in years though so I can't comment of longevity. Bottom line for me: Tubes are cheap and facial surgery isn't so I don't ride patched tubes for long.

Keith A
04-11-2006, 06:21 PM
I have the slime glueless patches and they work quite well.So do these hold up for any length of time?

Tubes are cheap and facial surgery isn't so I don't ride patched tubes for long.My problem is that I'm cheap and just can't bring myself to toss a perfectly good tube that I can patch. I've been patching these with the standard patch system for 20 years and have never had a problem with the patch.

dave thompson
04-11-2006, 06:34 PM
So do these hold up for any length of time?

My problem is that I'm cheap and just can't bring myself to toss a perfectly good tube that I can patch. I've been patching these with the standard patch system for 20 years and have never had a problem with the patch.
Keith if you're cheap, the Park glueless patches at $6 for 6 are about twice as much as the Brema Top Touring (glue) patch kit with 7 patches, are no bargain for you. And as you've noticed, the glued patches work very well when done properly.

ATMO about the only thing you'd be saving would be the time waiting for the glue to dry.

Keith A
04-11-2006, 07:17 PM
Thanks Dave -- I hadn't even looked at the price of these patches (silly me) http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/35.gif BTW, did you mean Rema instead of Brema?

dave thompson
04-11-2006, 08:42 PM
,snip>.........BTW, did you mean Rema instead of Brema?
Yup.http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/35.gif

Louis
04-11-2006, 09:30 PM
I think of them as an emergency only fix to get me home.

Agreed 100%. They get me home, but always seem to leak withing a few days. On the good side, they don't dry out like a puctured tube always seems to do. I use them as a temporary fix then replace the tube. The tire boots (huge, thick patches) are also good for sidewall cuts or other major gashes. (work a lot better than a folded dollar bill)

Louis

toaster
04-11-2006, 09:48 PM
Always bring new tubes, three or four. Bring a patch kit but resolve to never use it on the road. Glueless patches are a big risk. When the crapola hits the revolving blades a glueless patch is going to screw you. Have the regular vulcanizing Rema's as your insurance.

Patch at home. Use a Dremel with a sandpaper attachment and rubber solvent to rough up and clean the rubber inner tube. Use Rema's and run reliable patched tubes in your training tires and save the unpatched ones as jersey pocket fillers. :beer:

Keith A
04-12-2006, 07:31 AM
Patch at home. Use Rema's and run reliable patched tubes in your training tires and save the unpatched ones as jersey pocket fillers.This is exactly what I am doing now and after hearing everyone's input, I think I'll stick to what is working. Thanks to all for the input!

theprep
04-12-2006, 07:49 AM
Regular glue patches don't work on latex tubes. I have (1) wheelset with latex tubes and the Park glueless patches work great and I consider them permanent.

Keith A
04-12-2006, 07:51 AM
Regular glue patches don't work on latex tubes. I have (1) wheelset with latex tubes and the Park glueless patches work great and I consider them permanent.Good input. I've always run just the regular butyl rubber tubes, which is why is use the standard glue type patches.