PDA

View Full Version : Tubular guys and girls come help he here.

Cicli
03-13-2015, 06:26 PM
Scored a perfect set of new wheels. They are true and round Belgiums so I dont think the problem is the wheel. Well, i scored a set of 25mm conti competitions that were on a display wheelset and never glued. They are good and not dry or discolored. I stretched, glued and mounted them up. Piece of cake. Mounted tight and true.
Now the issue, both have a thump at the valve. You can only feel it on smooth roads but we have some here and it bugs me. I like perfect and this is not it. Whats the solution? What should I look for?
Thanks.

radsmd
03-13-2015, 06:35 PM
Sometimes the base tape bunches up at the valve, combined with a valve hole that is a little tight, prevents the tire from seating fully at the valve stem. If you want perfection, you need to remove the tire, trim the base tape if needed and/or slightly enlarge the hole in the rim. Then reglue.

radsmd
03-13-2015, 06:36 PM
A lot of work. If it was me, I'd just ride it until time to replace the tire.

carpediemracing
03-13-2015, 06:39 PM
It's possible that the tire isn't "tensioned" evenly around the rim. If the tire is a bit "loose" near the valve then the valve may not seat all the way in the rim, making a little bump.

If you "overstretch" the tire and it goes on super loose on the far end then the valve area might be too tight.

Having said that I don't ride Contis because I could never get them straight and smooth, and on rollers it felt like I was on a bump track. Contis were Comp and Sprinters - I bought them from an LBS I was trying to support and I actually removed them before they were worn because I didn't want to ride them anymore. Vittorias are easy cheesy (CX or EVO or whatever they're called now). I remove them when I flat or when the tread is done.

shovelhd
03-13-2015, 06:39 PM
Next time you glue them up, twist the valve down into the valve hole. Use a lot of pressure to seat the base tape into the hole in the rim. Once the tire is on the rim give it a walk with full body weight on the axle. With today's commercial tubulars (not silk Clements or FMB's) it's not easy to get perfect, but you can get it close enough so that you won't feel it on the road.

thwart
03-13-2015, 06:50 PM
I've had the same issue in the past. I'll have to try one of the methods outlined above.

One other somewhat easy-to-do thing thats worked for me is to move the 'lumpy' tubular to the rear... if it's not mounted there already. It'll be less noticeable there.

ergott
03-13-2015, 06:59 PM
Sometimes the base tape bunches up at the valve, combined with a valve hole that is a little tight, prevents the tire from seating fully at the valve stem. If you want perfection, you need to remove the tire, trim the base tape if needed and/or slightly enlarge the hole in the rim. Then reglue.

You got your answer on the first try.

Small hole at the valve, bunched up tape from the Conti = bump.

ginsued
03-13-2015, 07:07 PM
I like rolling the tire on a broom stick after mounting and straightening it. Then inflate it fully and and walk around with your body weight on the axle.

rwsaunders
03-13-2015, 07:07 PM
Try the Mike Zancanato method of rolling the tire (while on the rim) over a broomstick while the tire is deflated and the glue is fresh.

rwsaunders
03-13-2015, 07:08 PM
I like rolling the tire on a broom stick after mounting and straightening it. Then inflate it fully and and walk around with your body weight on the axle.

Great minds think alike.

ginsued
03-13-2015, 08:41 PM
Great minds think alike.

Heh.

oldpotatoe
03-14-2015, 05:20 AM
Scored a perfect set of new wheels. They are true and round Belgiums so I dont think the problem is the wheel. Well, i scored a set of 25mm conti competitions that were on a display wheelset and never glued. They are good and not dry or discolored. I stretched, glued and mounted them up. Piece of cake. Mounted tight and true.
Now the issue, both have a thump at the valve. You can only feel it on smooth roads but we have some here and it bugs me. I like perfect and this is not it. Whats the solution? What should I look for?
Thanks.

Make sure the valve is smoothly going all the way thru the valve hole.

When gluing, you need to PRESS HARD, on the valve, by ushing on the tire opposite the valve. I push the wheel/tire on the ground, all my weight, there when gluing..and roll back and forth..then push all around the tire.

mktng
03-14-2015, 06:55 AM
I had a shop do the same. They didn't really glue the tubular down at the valve properly. Not to mention the kid they got to install the tubs used a bit too much glue and put the tires on backwards. I just took a hair dryer and warmed up the glue... Moving it around until it seated properly. It'll never be 100% perfect. But better than hopping on smooth roads.

ultraman6970
03-14-2015, 08:33 AM
Seen some anals to dremel the rims in the valve area a little bit, just to make the tubular valve area to sit better.

Cicli
03-14-2015, 08:34 AM
Seen some anals to dremel the rims in the valve area a little bit, just to make the tubular valve area to sit better.

Anals?
Dremel?

Awesome.

Dead Man
03-15-2015, 04:28 PM
I had a related problem mounting a new batch of Corsa Elites to some C24s.... the Vittorias are a square shape at the base tape, which fits perfect into the angular rim bed of my EC90s, but these DA wheels rim bed is a clean radius. I had gapping at the valves where they wouldn't seat well, as well as one side that didn't adhere very well all around the rim, on both wheels. Ended up using the broom handle technique to try to patch-glue the dead spots on one rim, but I'm going to rip the other one off and start over.

My method has been to seat the tire, make sure it's even/concentric, then inflate to 160 and let sit over night..... but I think that backfired and the overinflating just caused the tire to lift OFF the rim bed instead of snug up tight to it, this being particularly exaggerated at the valve.

Did you do anything, OP, or just deal with it? I would deflate the tire and chekc and make sure you actually have good glue contact at the valve - I'd bet if it's lifted enough to give you a hop, it's not making adequate contact there either.

Cicli
03-15-2015, 05:07 PM
The B,

I havent done anything yet except just ride them. I am just too into spring. I am going to go after them Tuesday on account of its supposed to be 70 here tomorrow and I think I am coming down with "Anal Glaucoma" when it comes to work. I will be out riding. When it comes to adhesion, they are stuck like glue.