PDA

View Full Version : 32c tires.

rob137
04-11-2006, 10:36 AM
I realize most of you probably would never consider using 32c tires on a road bike, but I am just slow and old enough to consider it.

I was hoping that maybe someone would have some experience with these and perhaps point me in the right direction.

Any recommendations will be appreciated.

BarryG
04-11-2006, 11:09 AM
I realize most of you probably would never consider using 32c tires on a road bike
I wish I could - my 28's barely fit between the chainstays. I've seen good comments on the Panaracer Pasela TG.

MarcusPless
04-11-2006, 03:55 PM
I suspect the responses will reflect the qualities one is looking for in a tire. My "Urban Assault Vehicle" of a commuter is a Lemond Poprad 'Cross bike. For my commuter I'm interested in reliability, first and foremost. I wanted a bike that could take a beating day in and day out and accomodate fat tires/fenders/rack/lights/etc. and still get me down the road relatively efficiently. And I wanted the fewest flats imaginable, without resorting to solid tires. ;)

4000+ miles ago I installed a set of Bontrager Race Lite (yeah, right!) Hard Case 700 x 32c tires. They've got a couple of nasty cuts that would have probably killed a lesser tire. One of these cuts has over 3000 miles on it. No problems, no separations, and I think I've had one flat. They've still got a lot of life left in them. I'd buy another set in a second. In fact I did. At one point I didn't see them listed on the Trek/Bontrager web site so I had the Trek store get another set for me, just in case. But the way these things last, I may never need them. :D

They're certainly not "lite", but they are pretty close to bomb proof.

--Marcus

Ken Robb
04-11-2006, 04:04 PM
wait for DBRK to chime in here but I think I rode one of his bikes with 700x32 Avocet tanwalls that were dandy--didn't feel heavy and had a very cushy ride. I have "700x32" Paselas that measure closer to 28mm but they ride fine. The latest Paselas are supposed to run truer to their stated sizes. They are a heckuva bargain now at Gnashbar.

Argos
04-11-2006, 04:53 PM
I'm only 31 (for a little while longer at least) and that's not too old, yet I've been having a blast with diamond tread 28's on my fixie for the past month. Must've put 400 miles on that bike in the last 6 weeks just cause it's fun. It's nice to do an hour or so on that then come home and swap for my road bike.

At least it makes me feel faster! :rolleyes:

I'd consider 30's next time.

Ray
04-11-2006, 04:59 PM
If you want a TRUE 32, go with Avocets. Paselas are nice for some types of riding, but the center ridge can make fast cornering a bit tricky until the tires are old and you've worn them down to round.

If you're looking at something LABELLED 32, but that probably measures more like 28, save yourself the heartache and go with Roly Polys and be done with it. Great tires, pretty fast, very comfortable, wonderful cornering.

-Ray

Ken Robb
04-11-2006, 05:17 PM
I love Ruffy-Tuffy and Roly-Poly too. The new bigger sizes in Paselas don't have the raised center section like my old 32s do. Funny thing is I don't really notice the transition when I roll into a turn that many people write about. I run about 85psi and they are on my Riv Allrounder which has 45.5 chainstays and very relaxed geometry.

Vittoria Randonneurs in 700x32 are good on and off road and nearly bullet-proof but they are a lot heavier than the other tires I mentioned here.

dbrk
04-11-2006, 08:31 PM
Ray and Ken are both spot on about sizing and options. It's those Avocet 32c that are my favorites if you are looking for larger than the RP/RT 27c. The new Avocets are all black so I am hoarding older tan wall versions for the correct look. I think the quality of the new ones is better, however. I've some Schwalbe 32c (Big Apple?) that are nice too but the Avocets win the ride and weight issue. The Vitt Randos are fine and bullet proof but no one thinks we want a true lighweight FAT slick. WE DO!! I really, really, really wish that there was a foldable, kevlar lighter 32c RolyPoly and I have been asking Grant for years. He's listening but there are other projects and tire molds are expensive! If they weren't so expensive we'da' done it ourselves (at CyclesTournesol) already!

dbrk

News Man
04-11-2006, 09:28 PM
Ray and Ken are both spot on about sizing and options. It's those Avocet 32c that are my favorites if you are looking for larger than the RP/RT 27c. The new Avocets are all black so I am hoarding older tan wall versions for the correct look. I think the quality of the new ones is better, however. I've some Schwalbe 32c (Big Apple?) that are nice too but the Avocets win the ride and weight issue. The Vitt Randos are fine and bullet proof but no one thinks we want a true lighweight FAT slick. WE DO!! I really, really, really wish that there was a foldable, kevlar lighter 32c RolyPoly and I have been asking Grant for years. He's listening but there are other projects and tire molds are expensive! If they weren't so expensive we'da' done it ourselves (at CyclesTournesol) already!

dbrk

A lightweight FAT slick would be heaven indeed.