PDA

View Full Version : 5 month later !!!!!!!

ada@prorider.or
04-11-2006, 09:33 AM
did any body do something for the victoms of kathrina

and are those problems solved of all those people???????

Argos
04-11-2006, 09:38 AM
No. Not all of the problems are fixed yet.

Sandy
04-11-2006, 09:41 AM
There has been some help for the victims, but not nearly enough. The process has been remarkably slow and exceedingly inefficient. Many of the people are living in non-acceptable conditions and have very little confidence in what is being done for them. The storm was a horrendous tragedy as is the aftermath of the storm.

The above is but one person's opinion-mine.

Sandy

Argos
04-11-2006, 09:49 AM
I have cnn on. They were just saying that the trailers that are not getting used have so far cost the Gov't about $76,000 each. Some Senators were commenting that they should have just given the money to the victims, instead of throwing it away on trailer storage.

There are more then 9000 (!) trailers sitting empty awaiting use that the government has purchased.

Article:
http://standeyo.com/NEWS/05_USA/051014.FEMA.trailers.html

http://standeyo.com/NEWS/05_USA/05_USA_pics/051014.FEMA.trailers.jpg

Kevan
04-11-2006, 09:51 AM
an overnight fix.

Basically, rebuilding a city takes time. New Orleans has a host of problems that are unique to that city, making it safe from future storms being perhaps the number one concern. The fact that the city has a considerably large population of poor and low income citizens also compounds the problem in rebuilding. There will forever be individual cases of hardship, where certain disenfranchised people will be left with nothing but the shortend of a stick.

To my way of thinking, the city would be better off downsized (over used slang), it's displaced citizens not return, and instead build a town using only the higher ground and respective to the forces of the Mississippi, the ocean (The Gulf), and to future hurricanes. Water is an unstoppable force, impossible to keep at bay. Mankind seems to get itself in a mess-o-trouble when we think we can master any and all.

Serpico
04-11-2006, 10:03 AM
I told them not to move there, maybe you heard me!!

what shoots me is that the whole area is below sea level

I warned them

Sandy
04-11-2006, 10:06 AM
Your thoughts make a great deal of sense. The fix IS a monumental one. But with so many very poor people, who have few or no alternatives, the need is that much greater. It just seems to me that the preparation for the storm was incredibly poor, and the help, for those who lost all they had because of the storm, is also being done in such an inefficient and possibly non-caring manner. Yes the fix IS monumental, necessating monumental resources and long term planning, but the very poor folks affected by the storm should not still be living in the conditions that exist now.

Sandy

davids
04-11-2006, 10:35 AM
New Orleans has been devistated. Whatever recovery will come, will take years and years, and cost staggering amounts of money.

My boss is from NO, and much of her family (including her elderly mother) lived there. Their lives have been turned upside-down. Period. They live with the chaos, disruption, loss and uncertainty every day. I'm deeply saddened when I hear her family's stories. Knowing that there are over a million people with similar stories is nearly overwhelming.

To their credit, certain US news organizations are keeping NO in the news. The New York Times has a front-page story today, and has amassed a store of articles here: http://www.nytimes.com/pages/national/nationalspecial/index.html (you may need to subscribe to get to these - If so, I apologize.) I'm not a TV watcher, but I hear that at least one of the networks (NBC, I think) has a nightly segment on NO.

Charitable organizations continue to work to provide support. I'm a big advocate of Habitats for Humanity, but there are many worthy ways to make a contribution. Our synagogue drove a truck of supplies down there last winter, and my daughter's school sent a contigent of High School kids down last month. There's no shortage of need, or of work to be done.

MartyE
04-11-2006, 10:59 AM
what really irks me about the whole Katrina debacle is that New Orleans
was not the only area hit by the hurricane, but it's the only one that receives
daily coverage in the news 6 months post katrina.
Anyone heard about Biloxi, or Gulfport or Pascagoula lately? nope just New Orleans as if the rest of the gulf coast had never been hit.

Marty

Kevan
04-11-2006, 11:02 AM
Your thoughts make a great deal of sense. Sandy

Well there's a first!

Seriously, for as long as mankind has been kicked around by Mother Nature and his enemies, we've had to move on. I do not suggest that it be heartless, but when a local society has the hurdles that this town has, something has to give for it to flourish in the future. A city requires stability to survive. The citizens need to be safe, they need to contribute, and they need to govern. In this terrible event, we saw all three aspects of their society fall apart, some of this happened before the storm even hit. It is time to rebuild, but do so wisely.

Do people have a right to rebuild where they lived? I do not think so, not if it places the citizens back in risk or hampers the prosperity of the city. Are they to spend billions of dollars rebuilding the levees in order to rebuild many of the poor communities that were destroyed? I think not. Where is the economy to recoup the costs and sustain the effort, if the city remains poor? Ideally, we do not want this to remain a national burden, that the city should prosper and support itself.

Yes, it’s truly a dilemma for the poor which can only be best resolved by other cities and their communities assuming those that have been displaced.

ada@prorider.or
04-11-2006, 11:28 AM

I warned them

well i live 7 meters below sea level
and we never have water problems
and i feel very safe where i live

Kevan
04-11-2006, 11:38 AM

hasn't been without their own disasters and only now with the recent completion of the Delta Project does that area have some measure of security. But then there wasn't enough accounting for global warming.

MartyE
04-11-2006, 11:40 AM

what about that story with the little kid with his
finger in the dike? that's gotta be a problem!

sspielman
04-11-2006, 11:41 AM

Probably because the Corps of Engineers was not responsible for building your dikes....and FEMA is not responible for providing you relief should they fail....

bcm119
04-11-2006, 12:15 PM

The difference is, there are no hurricanes in the North Sea. Also, the headwaters of your rivers are not in the Great Plains, which is a vast area where frigid Canadian air occasionally clashes with tropical air, causing massive amounts of rainfall, all of which eventually flow between two cement dikes in the middle of New Orleans. The Miss. river drains something like 1.5 million square miles, compared to the Rhine's few hundred thousand square mile watershed.

Serpico
04-11-2006, 12:17 PM

I warned them

bro, I was just goofin' on your post from yesterday.

regards :beer:

ada@prorider.or
04-11-2006, 12:30 PM
what about that story with the little kid with his
finger in the dike? that's gotta be a problem!
yes that was in the year 1953 of the water disaster
(year i was born)
if people ask my date of birth in holland i say 19 and year of water disaster
if they not from the neherlands they do not know so easy way to detect

well they learned after that my parent house totaly under water
(amsterdam)
but where i live was sea where my grandfather use to fish my family was a fisher family
so the sea they put leevis around it pumped out the water about 35 years ago so i lve on the bottom of the sea
and about every 20 years they update the leevis with about 5 meters

Too Tall
04-11-2006, 12:35 PM
Makes one wonder who are the fish and what is the bowl?

Kevan
04-11-2006, 12:42 PM
Makes one wonder who are the fish and what is the bowl?

Did you know that scientists believe the ridges on the roof of our mouth are a holdover from our very early ancestor's gills?

That and $5 oughta buy you some inner tubes.

shinomaster
04-11-2006, 01:39 PM
No one :confused: cares unless they were affected.

zeroking17
04-11-2006, 02:02 PM

When I visit Cees and Ada I get to sleep upstairs, which puts me 0.5 meters above sea level. Hey, no worries. :beer:

bulliedawg
04-11-2006, 02:56 PM
I'll make this prediction: We will bomb Iran before the problems in New Orleans are ever fixed.

zeroking17
04-11-2006, 02:59 PM
I'll make this prediction: We will bomb Iran before the problems in New Orleans are ever fixed.

Sad but true.

malcolm
04-11-2006, 03:04 PM
What about people on the california coast that constantly rebuild on the governments dime when their houses are washed away by the ocean or slide down the mountain into the ocean or the ones whose houses are destroyed by fire on a nearly yearly basis. What about houses and businesses built on fault lines. People that live in areas in Tornado alley? Suggesting people not be allowed to rebuild in N.O. is simplistic. New Oreleans will rebuild and hopefully more intelligently but the threat of natural disaster will always be there and not just for the gulf coast. Most of the people with the loudest voices complaining about lack of preparation (levees, etc) now whould have been the ones with most complaints had the millinon been spent in advance. The retrospectoscope is always 20/20.

shinomaster
04-11-2006, 03:07 PM

.....edited for your pleasure...

vaxn8r
04-11-2006, 03:18 PM
Why doesn't some other country bomb Washington to keep it from doing something stoopid with it's weapons of mass destruction? :fight:
The Pentagon was bombed a few years ago iirc...

Let's not go further with this line. It ain't helping anything.

ada@prorider.or
04-11-2006, 03:19 PM
When I visit Cees and Ada I get to sleep upstairs, which puts me 0.5 meters above sea level. Hey, no worries. :beer:

oh that was 0.20 meters sorry :rolleyes:

shinomaster
04-11-2006, 03:20 PM
The Pentagon was bombed a few years ago iirc...

Let's not go further with this line. It ain't helping anything.

OK good idea... :beer: