PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Seven: a question and request for a recommended dealer

Nags&Ducs
03-12-2015, 12:47 PM
Howdy all. For my wife's upcoming 50th birthday, I'll be ordering her a custom Seven frame that will replace her current Mudhoney S (top tube and head tube are too long). Her new frame will be used for commuting, touring, and general road/gravel cycling and will have S&S couplings, cable disc brakes, fender and rack eyelets, and enough room for 32mm tires. After talking to one of the bubbas at Seven, it seems that there would be zero difference between the models Airheart or Evergreen after adding in all the options. So the question here is which "model name" should be on the top tube???

I KID, I KID!!! Seriously, the question is whether to go with an S, or with a $700 up charge go with an SL frame? Being that this bike will be fairly heavy because of its intended purposes, the marginal weight savings for the SL may not be worth the extra $$. But for long haul touring bike, will the slightly more comfortable SL be worth it??? But then again, will the addition of the couplings negate any improvements in comfort that SL might provide??? I know a lot of you will answer that larger tires will make negligible any improvements SL might have on comfort. I absolutely agree with a larger tire of 32mm which will be used for touring, but I'm not so convinced on that with a 25mm tire for road riding. Even though I think I answered my own question, I humbly ask for your expert opinions here!!! :)

Lastly, is there a particular Seven dealer that you would highly recommend over the rest? We will be moving back to Portland, OR in May and I was going to order it soon after with either River City or Bike Peddler in Salem. But I could also consider Cascade in Seattle, or even another shop in Cali, NYC, or New England (Bespoke, Helen's, Ride Studio, Signature, etc). I want to get the best fitting and consulting possible. This will likely be the last bike she buys, and going to another state for the fitting and purchase won't be too much a hassle for us (fly for free and gives us an opportunity to visit another city) and won't be paying taxes since we'll ship the frame to OR.

Thanks all! Sorry if I was long-winded (as I often tend to be).

54ny77
03-12-2015, 12:49 PM
I'd heartily recommend Signature in Greenwich, if your travels have you in the NYC/CT area.

old fat man
03-12-2015, 01:15 PM
Save the money on the frame and buy lighter rims or a higher level groupset if possible. I've been on the inside, and while you may save a few grams, I can assure you, the ride characteristics for what you are describing will be indistinguishable.

If you don't mind paying the sales tax ($$$), go to Seattle and meet with Zac at Cascade Bicycle Studio. He was the lead fitter at Seven for many years and knows his stuff. Not sure I could personally justify the inconvenience of that trip and the added sales tax cost though. I'm sure working with River City would not be a bad experience.

sandyrs
03-12-2015, 01:22 PM
I would recommend Ride Studio Cafe on account of (a) my personal experience there has been great, and (b) it shares an owner with Seven, so turnaround is sometimes quicker. Plus, there's nobody more familiar with Seven's options and product line than its founder :)

happycampyer
03-12-2015, 04:35 PM
I'd heartily recommend Signature in Greenwich, if your travels have you in the NYC/CT area.

I would definitely recommend Signature in Greenwich as well. That said, if there are is a good option in Portland, there's a benefit to getting the bike at a local dealer. If you end up in the area, let us know—would be happy to have you join a ride, and if you need a bike and ride a ~56, I could spot you one.

Mikej
03-12-2015, 05:00 PM
I don't know, but can you actually get the SL with S&S couplers? I'd rather have an Evegreen, but a Lady may like the Airheart.

Nags&Ducs
03-12-2015, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the recommendations guys!

I don't know, but can you actually get the SL with S&S couplers? I'd rather have an Evegreen, but a Lady may like the Airheart.

I was told that they could put S&S on butted SL tubes. But I think I've made the decision to go with the S. Still haven't decided which model name to put on the top tube. :)

I would definitely recommend Signature in Greenwich as well. That said, if there are is a good option in Portland, there's a benefit to getting the bike at a local dealer. If you end up in the area, let us know—would be happy to have you join a ride, and if you need a bike and ride a ~56, I could spot you one.

Yep, my wife prefers to give the business to the local shops, but I still would consider an out of state shop if they are that much better. But more than likely it will be River City or Bike Peddler.

But I'll like to take you up on the offer of riding in NY with ya someday! I even have my own bike stashed in Newark- a vintage Raleigh Record 10 speed that I picked up from Craigslist for $150. I think I can keep up. ;)

happycampyer
03-12-2015, 08:40 PM
But I'll like to take you up on the offer of riding in NY with ya someday! I even have my own bike stashed in Newark- a vintage Raleigh Record 10 speed that I picked up from Craigslist for $150. I think I can keep up. ;)That Raleigh is awesome! I would love a bike like that that I could use to commute to the train station, etc. Are you sure you wouldn't rather ride the Cyfac?

Nags&Ducs
03-12-2015, 09:35 PM
That Raleigh is awesome! I would love a bike like that that I could use to commute to the train station, etc. Are you sure you wouldn't rather ride the Cyfac?

Happy my man, you have/had many awesome bikes!! I'm sure the Cyfac is another great bike! Come spring/summer, I'll be ready to ride with ya!

polyhistoric
03-13-2015, 11:38 AM
I think the name is merely a starting point - I have a bike stickered as an Evergreen, but is really a pure cross race bike (aka a Mudhoney). I think they would have put whatever I wanted on the top tube. Maybe mix and match names... you could have an EVER-AIR.

I went through the process with Rob V. at Ride Studio and we discussed the S vs SL considerations. Despite the minor weight savings, I understood that there were more tubing choices for a straight gauge and that butting may not have changed my ride profile much, just shave some grams). I think for touring comfort, the wheels and components may have as much or more impact than the difference between an S and SL.

I can't recommend Rob's fitting highly enough - the focus was really on my balance/weight distribution and where the bike will fit me and my ride style instead of pure biomechanical measurements. I think the geometry ultimately captured the soul of what I wanted the bike to do.

Good luck - don't think you can go wrong however you end up.

moose8
03-13-2015, 01:27 PM
The ride studio people are very nice and know what they're doing. You probably can't go wrong with any of them. I had a great experience getting fit by Fitwerx and I know they are a Seven dealer as well.

FlashUNC
03-13-2015, 01:53 PM
I can't speak to the model differences, but another vote for Ride Studio.

Outstanding group of folks when we were in there. The Boss was distracted by the coffee bar for a half hour -- longer than I usually can swing in a bike shop -- and she mentioned afterward "Some guy named Rob" was working the bar. That some guy happened to be Mr Vandermark.

So I owe Rob Vandermark an order at some point given his personal hand in distracting my girlfriend with incredible coffee.

beeatnik
03-13-2015, 02:27 PM
Based on what I witnessed at the Rumble in the Ranchlands, the type of bike you're building is essential to get the most of out of Bay Area riding. For the West Coast (Cali at least), Bay Area riders are way ahead of the game. Tap into that collective knowledge:

City Cycle in Marin
www.citycycle.com

Bespoke in the City
www.bespokecyclessf.com

www.catella.net/gravelrace/

https://lastbigclimb.wordpress.com/