PDA

View Full Version : OT Shaving Gel

DerekB
03-12-2015, 11:58 AM
Anyone else use Gillette shaving gel and find that the propellant runs out way before the product is finished?
I have been throwing away half filled cans now for over a year, only realized now that I cut one open to see how much was left.
Seems to me they should just sell it in a tube, easier to pack and less waste.

slidey
03-12-2015, 12:03 PM

That will only happen in Utopia. In the capitalistic world, you end up buying nearly twice as many cans nicely buttressing their revenues/margins/profits.

OtayBW
03-12-2015, 12:03 PM
Get a badger brush and any number of great soaps and learn how to make a proper lather. I prefer tallow-based soaps myself. Mitchell's Woolfat is great, but can be a little tricky (sensitive to water content); Tabula Rasa is a kind of under-the-radar Italian soap that is fantastic. Tabac is often commonly found and is liked by a lot of people (has kind of an old-timey barber shop smell). Many others....

There you go!

Idris Icabod
03-12-2015, 12:08 PM
Anyone else use Gillette shaving gel and find that the propellant runs out way before the product is finished?
I have been throwing away half filled cans now for over a year, only realized now that I cut one open to see how much was left.

Since this is a bike related I'll admit that I've noticed this in the leg shaving gel. My wife bought a 4 pack from Costco and 2 were DOA and didn't have any propellent in them. For my face I use soap (Taylors of Old Bond Street) and a badger brush though. Incidentally were are all these badgers coming from to make these brushes? Haven't seen a badger in donkey's years.

ceolwulf
03-12-2015, 12:22 PM
Now I'm just trying to picture how you would go about shaving a badger.

tumbler
03-12-2015, 12:23 PM
I have noticed this as well. One thing that seems to help is if I press the button down completely and get what I need in one short burst. I use to press the button partially so that the shaving cream came out slower, and my thinking is that this led to excess propellant escaping rather than an amount proportionate to the shaving cream dispensed. I still feel like there is a little left at the end, but it definitely seems better than when I was withdrawing the cream slowly.

shovelhd
03-12-2015, 12:25 PM
Walmart sells it in a squeeze tube.

dekindy
03-12-2015, 12:27 PM
For my face I use soap (Taylors of Old Bond Street) and a badger brush though.

This.

dave thompson
03-12-2015, 12:28 PM
Now I'm just trying to picture how you would go about shaving a badger.

Very carefully!

MattTuck
03-12-2015, 12:28 PM
Stop using that gillette shaving cream right now, you neanderthal.

Don't you know you should be making your own soap, and shaving with piece of flint or obsidian that you find and knapp yourself. Only then will you appreciate your shave. :rolleyes:

dave thompson
03-12-2015, 12:37 PM
Sharpen 'em up. They're not called Razor Clam for nothing!

Exonerv
03-12-2015, 12:38 PM
I switched off of Gillette some time ago for similar reasons. This stuff by comparison seems to last forever and is cheap enough too when added onto an Amazon order - (although the 2 pk is a terrible deal)

http://www.amazon.com/Nivea-Men-Sensitive-Shaving-Canister/dp/B00BIL9HZE/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1426185273&sr=8-9&keywords=nivea+for+men

staggerwing
03-12-2015, 12:45 PM
Just buy a tube of Proraso. (http://www.amazon.com/Proraso-Shaving-Eucalyptus-Menthol-Formulation/dp/B00837ZOI0) Might appear expensive at first blush, but a little goes a long way. I can generally get 3-4 months from a tube. About a 1" squeeze, worked into a nice lather with my fingers, and off to the races.

FWIW, I used to use the Nivea gel. Typically shave in the shower, and their aluminum cans did not corrode like the standard steel cans used by most others. Tried a tube of their non-aerosol cream. Don't bother.

bcroslin
03-12-2015, 12:54 PM
Get a badger brush and any number of great soaps and learn how to make a proper lather. I prefer tallow-based soaps myself. Mitchell's Woolfat is great, but can be a little tricky (sensitive to water content); Tabula Rasa is a kind of under-the-radar Italian soap that is fantastic. Tabac is often commonly found and is liked by a lot of people (has kind of an old-timey barber shop smell). Many others....

There you go!

This. Art of Shaving is the way to go. I'm a twice a week shaver since I work from home so one tub of shave soap can sometimes last me 6-7 months. ROI is much better on a brush and shave soap than buying a $4 can of gel every 3 weeks. Especially if you're throwing 1/3 full cans away.

EDIT: uh, you might be talking about using gel on your legs so sorry if my comment is irrelevant. if you're referring to legs just use regular old soap.

eippo1
03-12-2015, 01:01 PM
Since this is a bike related I'll admit that I've noticed this in the leg shaving gel. My wife bought a 4 pack from Costco and 2 were DOA and didn't have any propellent in them. For my face I use soap (Taylors of Old Bond Street) and a badger brush though. Incidentally were are all these badgers coming from to make these brushes? Haven't seen a badger in donkey's years.

Love their stuff. I use this:
http://www.tayloroldbondst.co.uk/acatalog/Avocado-Shaving-Cream-Bowl-150g--J01006.html#SID=41

Lasts forever and haven't had any irritation ever since.

Also use Art of Shaving's Lavender balm afterwards. So good and again lasts forever.

ColnagoFan
03-12-2015, 01:06 PM
Brave Soldier makes something called Brave Shave, it's a fantastic product. And some bike shops stock it, QBP sells it!
Great great stuff. Though I just ran out...

bart998
03-12-2015, 02:15 PM
http://www.cvs.com/shop/personal-care/shaving/men-s-shave-creams-gels/neutrogena-men-sensitive-skin-shave-cream-skuid-789664

I switched to Neutrogena Shaving Cream a year ago, never going back to a can.

OtayBW
03-12-2015, 02:44 PM
I am underwhelmed by Art of Shaving, but then, I am a razor Nazi. They're OK, I guess for bringing all this stuff the (Mall) masses, but 1) they don't know straight razors from whooey, and 2) there are so many other things out there that people I think overlook because of the convenience of AOS (wait - that's Trek, right?...).

bcroslin
03-12-2015, 05:34 PM
I am underwhelmed by Art of Shaving, but then, I am a razor Nazi. They're OK, I guess for bringing all this stuff the (Mall) masses, but 1) they don't know straight razors from whooey, and 2) there are so many other things out there that people I think overlook because of the convenience of AOS (wait - that's Trek, right?...).

I've never used any of their razors because I'm too cheap. I buy basic Gillette 3 blade razors and use them as long as possible. Is there another shave soap you'd recommend? I only use the AOS stuff because my wife buys it for me. ;)

guido
03-12-2015, 05:42 PM
Trader Joe's Honey Mango Moisturizing Shave Cream. Comes in a squeeze tube, works great, price is right.

Louis
03-12-2015, 05:46 PM
Real men don't shave.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3ve7dciby1r5i7ado1_500.png

makoti
03-12-2015, 06:05 PM
I'm sure it's been said, but...
STOP with the aerosol shaving stuff! Get a brush. Get a decent razor. Get a nice scuttle. Get some Omega creme. Do it right. Enjoy shaving for once.
You're welcome. ;-)

wc1934
03-12-2015, 06:07 PM
Art of Shaving (who is owned by Gillette) cream is ok, but their PRE SHAVE OIL is GREAT.
Go into one of their stores in the mall and ask for a free sample kit. You will be so surprised in the quality and smoothness of your shave (regardless of what blade you use).

This. Art of Shaving is the way to go. I'm a twice a week shaver since I work from home so one tub of shave soap can sometimes last me 6-7 months. ROI is much better on a brush and shave soap than buying a $4 can of gel every 3 weeks. Especially if you're throwing 1/3 full cans away.

EDIT: uh, you might be talking about using gel on your legs so sorry if my comment is irrelevant. if you're referring to legs just use regular old soap.

dcama5
03-12-2015, 06:13 PM
I've had pretty good luck with these guys. The blades are excellent too.

https://www.harrys.com/

Louis
03-12-2015, 06:27 PM
I'm sure it's been said, but...
STOP with the aerosol shaving stuff! Get a brush. Get a decent razor. Get a nice scuttle. Get some Omega creme. Do it right.

This guy most definitely does not agree with you:

http://www.sikids.com/sites/default/files/multimedia/photo_gallery/1007/tour.de.france.three.time.champions/images/bernard-hinault-gallery-afp.jpg

Cicli
03-12-2015, 06:37 PM
I use Proraso and a good brush.

While we are at it, I use a DE razor also. There is nothing sharper or better for a clean shave. You can hack yourself to a bloody mess if you are not careful.

staggerwing
03-12-2015, 06:51 PM
I've never used any of their razors because I'm too cheap. I buy basic Gillette 3 blade razors and use them as long as possible. Is there another shave soap you'd recommend? I only use the AOS stuff because my wife buys it for me. ;)

You want cheap, but still good. Double edge safety razor and a 100 count sleeve of Astra or Derby blades. Two years worth of shaving goodness for $25.

Cicli
03-12-2015, 06:54 PM
You want cheap, but still good. Double edge safety razor and a 100 count sleeve of Astra or Derby blades. Two years worth of shaving goodness for $25.

Don't buy the huge sleeve until you figure out which ones work. I like Wilkenson Swords. No irritation and sharp as hell. Only downside, shave in a hurry, you will end up leaking.

makoti
03-12-2015, 07:03 PM
This guy most definitely does not agree with you:

http://www.sikids.com/sites/default/files/multimedia/photo_gallery/1007/tour.de.france.three.time.champions/images/bernard-hinault-gallery-afp.jpg

Doesn't HAVE to be badger....

1centaur
03-12-2015, 07:05 PM
For those not into animal cruelty and into a better shave:

http://naturalbeauty.about.com/od/MensProducts/a/Are-Pure-Badger-Brushes-Bad.htm

Louis
03-12-2015, 07:15 PM
For those not into animal cruelty and into a better shave:

http://naturalbeauty.about.com/od/MensProducts/a/Are-Pure-Badger-Brushes-Bad.htm

The fact that nearly all badger hair comes from China tells you all you need to know about the desirability (or lack thereof) of a badger brush. They treat their human workers like sh_t, just imagine how badly they treat animals.

OtayBW
03-12-2015, 07:37 PM
From my original post (above), there are many. I rotate through these and a couple others, but any good quality soap will do ya. GL.

There you go!

cloudchaser
03-13-2015, 08:38 AM
Add me to the list of shaving soap users, Taylor of Old Bond Steet Sandalwood for me. It doesn't clog multi blade heads like creams and gels, yet leaves a nice layer of lubrication.

cdn_bacon
03-13-2015, 08:45 AM
Brush and soaps.... I've been using the same soap dish for over a year.

eippo1
03-13-2015, 08:49 AM
Don't buy the huge sleeve until you figure out which ones work. I like Wilkenson Swords. No irritation and sharp as hell. Only downside, shave in a hurry, you will end up leaking.

Wilkenson's aren't sharp enough for me. I use Feather blades. Incredibly sharp, which is best for my sensitive skin. No rush shaving jobs with any blades, though. I have an electric if I need a quick touch up or am in a hurry to get to work.

Likes2ridefar
03-13-2015, 09:10 AM
didnt know about the badger brush, didnt really think about it to be honest...that'll not be replaced.

speick is my current favorite shave cream. i use it with a safety razor.

unterhausen
03-13-2015, 04:04 PM
Don't buy the huge sleeve until you figure out which ones work. I like Wilkenson Swords.

Wilkenson Sword is Schick in the U.S. Both Schick and Gillette make really good razors. Everyone else is not as good unless you are a straight razor user that is good at sharpening.

I use soap or just water and shave in the shower. I have some gel in there that I use occasionally. I buy whatever gel is on sale.

wc1934
03-13-2015, 04:14 PM
didnt know about the badger brush, didnt really think about it to be honest...that'll not be replaced.

speick is my current favorite shave cream. i use it with a safety razor.

If you are apprehensive about a badger brush (silver tip is the best - from hairs from the neck area I believe), you might want to step down and go with a machine shaped boars hair brush.

OtayBW
03-13-2015, 04:21 PM
Wilkenson Sword is Schick in the U.S. Both Schick and Gillette make really good razors. Everyone else is not as good unless you are a straight razor user that is good at sharpening.

I use soap or just water and shave in the shower. I have some gel in there that I use occasionally. I buy whatever gel is on sale.I shave with and hone straights, and IMO, they are the best - no question. I also used to use a safety razor and the Feathers are pretty much the best out there as someone mentioned above. The Israeli Personnas are still around and are pretty good as well.

Another soap that I tried recently and like - now that I think about it - is one called RazoRock. They make several types, but again, I gravitate to the tallow-based ones. Easy to make a great lather with very good cushion and glide.

03-13-2015, 04:23 PM
If Paceline isn't enough for you, this is the go-to forum for shaving:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forum.php

And these two places have some of the best selection for shaving stuff:

http://www.leesrazors.com

[url]http://shavenation.com[url]

I particularly like the latter. He also does dozens of reviews and instructional videos on YouTube. Sometimes a hoot.