PDA

View Full Version : OT: headlamps for running

Cat3roadracer
03-11-2015, 06:22 PM
I'm in a Ragnar in the fall, what do the folks in the know like for headlamps?

I think we need some sort of rear blinky as well.

Any advice is appreciated.

dolface
03-11-2015, 06:34 PM
zombierunner.com does a nice job of picking the most popular ones: http://www.zombierunner.com/store/categories/flashlights/

Flashlights are becoming popular because headlamps can cause motion sickness after a while but Ragnar is a relay (I think) so that might not be an issue.

I use a Light and Motion Stella or a Dinotte XML-2 depending on the race/terrain but those might be overkill.

Chris
03-11-2015, 06:54 PM
I use a PETZL running head lamp.

jghall
03-11-2015, 07:17 PM
Light & Motion Solite is nice. Really more geared for biking, but light enough. The others to look at are Petzl and Fenix.

You also get into pro's/con's with head or waist.

Found fellrnr.com to offer some good thoughts.

Cat3roadracer
03-11-2015, 07:24 PM
Thanks Gents. I should have included more details. The Ragnar is a relay race from Saratoga Springs, NY, to Lake Placid, NY. Approx 200 miles. There are races like this all over the country. Broken up by six runners on an Ultra team, means about 33 miles per runner over a 24 hour period. Of course, there will be legs at night, hence the need for a head lamp.

I have used NiteRider products for ever for night riding, but this will not require anything that sophisticated.

Thanks.

onespeed
03-11-2015, 07:47 PM
I really like my Black Diamond Sprinter: light weight, well balanced, red light on the back that can be turned off, great beam pattern.

Good luck in the Ragnar, they are fun events!

mhespenheide
03-11-2015, 10:37 PM
Personally, I don't like headlamps for running (or hiking, for that matter). Since light source is so near your eyes, you don't get much shadow depth, and that makes it hard to judge the terrain. I prefer a chest mount/sternum strap.

Just one data point to consider.

Good luck on the Ragnar!

hokoman
03-12-2015, 01:51 AM
I have run a coupe ragnars, and I liked using my surefire saint when it was really dark.. But certain courses have a lot of ambient light... I used a very small muyshondt aeon flashlight. It is a tiny cr2 light that fits easily in the hand. Have fun!

sand fungus
03-12-2015, 04:02 AM
I was wondering the same this and recently came across a lamp from Orfos that looks like it would be really perfect for this as it has a real wide angle of light distribution. I find I need a wide angle of light for running as the spot light tends to make it hard to see where my feet are landing and also have peripheral vision as well. I have not purchased it yet but seriously considering it for a chest or belt mount position.

www.orfos.bike

bcgav
03-12-2015, 04:35 AM
Check out GoMotion (http://www.gomotiongear.com/blog/tag/trail-runners/).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-4NwxYgdjg

rugbysecondrow
03-12-2015, 06:12 AM
Awesome thread, and timely. I did the Washington DC Ragnar last Fall, and I am doing a trail run Ragnar this June.

I have no good recommendation for gear as I used a cheap head lamp for the road, which was plenty fine. I will want a better one for the off road stuff though.

Ragnar does a great job of organization, and they take safety very seriously. They specify head lamps, so I am not sure anything but head lamps will be acceptable (chest lights etc).

pitonpat
03-12-2015, 08:47 AM
I use this headlamp for climbing (admittedly, not at running speed!), and for night-time cross country skiing where it excels. 130 lumens and about 70 meter distance lighting with several intensity modes.

cloudchaser
03-12-2015, 08:50 AM
Another option are knuckle lights. My wife uses them for after dark running and finds they work well for her.

http://www.knucklelights.com/

CunegoFan
03-13-2015, 12:11 PM
Awesome thread, and timely. I did the Washington DC Ragnar last Fall, and I am doing a trail run Ragnar this June.

I have no good recommendation for gear as I used a cheap head lamp for the road, which was plenty fine. I will want a better one for the off road stuff though.

Ragnar does a great job of organization, and they take safety very seriously. They specify head lamps, so I am not sure anything but head lamps will be acceptable (chest lights etc).

For trail running the best set up is two lights.

Use a headlamp because it is hands-free and the light points to where you look. A long burning LED works great. It does not have to be that bright. I like Black Diamond's stuff.

Use a small flashlight held low to make rocks, roots, and whatnot create shadows and cast light at things you are not directly looking at. It is harder to see trail variations with just a headlamp, and after a while your eyes go screwy. I typically use a small Princeton Tec.

As backup I always keep a one LED, one AA battery light with a 90+ hour burn time. It is not much bigger than the battery. It helps when you unexpectedly get caught in the dark.