PDA

View Full Version : Running & Cycling

kgrooney
04-11-2006, 07:24 AM
Do any forum members incorporate running into their training/fitness programs. I have made every attempt to do a few training rides after work each week @ 5:00pm but with a one and two year old at home and a very stressed wife when I return from the ride, I am considering running after the kids go to bed at 7:00 to maintain my fitness and save the bike for a Sunday am ride.

Any thoughts? Insight? Concerns?

Thank You.

TimD
04-11-2006, 07:31 AM
1. Get a cross bike and use it to pull a trailer for the kids.

2. Get your wife out there with you for the 'family ride'.

3. Start early on Sunday (e.g., 0700) and be back with enough
time and energy to make something else of the day

TimD

bostondrunk
04-11-2006, 07:33 AM
I've been told by many experts, like Roy Munson, that running no good for cycling...

BigDaddySmooth
04-11-2006, 07:34 AM
I took up running 2.5 years ago due to a hectic shedule similar to yours. I had a kid and moved from Utah and wonderful cycling to the DC area and all that you have heard bad about it is true. I run during lunch for about 45 minutes and then ride my bike for about 50-60 minutes after work. I pick up the kid by 6P (my wife gets home from work) and that is that. The biomechanics of running require a long lead-in time. At first I could only run every other day. Now I can run back-to-back days and sometimes 3 days in a row. Running is very efficient but I have also had some minor injuries w/ it so you have to be careful w/ increasing your speed and/or distance. To me, it is a great cross-training opportunity.

Dr. Doofus
04-11-2006, 07:57 AM
running won't do anything to improve your cycling

it will help slow the decline of your cycling fitness, but that's it

4AM on the trainer?

(works for the doof)

kgrooney
04-11-2006, 08:05 AM
running won't do anything to improve your cycling

it will help slow the decline of your cycling fitness, but that's it

4AM on the trainer?

(works for the doof)

But during the summer? At least running gets me out. I may try to pull them on a trailer after work if they're not too cranky.

buechse
04-11-2006, 08:29 AM
I go running now for more than ten years and I really can say that running helps you to stay in shape on the bike as well. Yes, you use different muscles and that's kind of sad because you don't really get power as you need to ride fast or on hills. BUT you definitely use the same heart and metabolism. I usually emphasise my running during winter, have a marathon in spring and after that I have a very good basis to switch to my bike during summer.
So in my opinion running and cycling don't support each other to a hundred percent but if it's dark or too cold or you only have little time... it is not only better than doing nothing but it's good!

Cheers,
Peter

(still waiting for his Nove, so there is no other choice but to run)

sam.g
04-11-2006, 09:19 AM
I took up cycling four years ago as a means of cross training while preparing for a marathon. I've been a runner for over 25 years but realize that my marathon days are numbered, it now seems to be a race to see who can outlast injuries the longest. Most of my old running buddies are now out on the golf course.

My travel schedule is also hectic and running provides a great workout no matter where I am in the world and no matter what the weather brings. I run through the winter then change over to cycling in the spring. However as previously mentioned, other than cardio vascular fitness and keeping weight off over winter, running really won't help your cycling. That said, I do find the transition back to cycling each spring fairly easy and quickly catch up to my "cycling only" friends.

Here's my current weekly (pre-marathon) schedule when not traveling:

Mon: AM weights, PM spinning or rest
Tues: AM run 4-6 hills
Wed: AM weights, PM spinning or rest
Thur: AM run 4-6 tempo
Fri: Rest
Sat: AM Long Run (10-20)
Sun: Ride outside weather dependent or rest

Sam in Cincy

BigDaddySmooth
04-11-2006, 09:39 AM
[QUOTE=Dr. Doofus]running won't do anything to improve your cycling

This is speculative...I have found that running has loosened my low back and hamstrings to where I can get lower on my bike (stretching did not accomplish this nor did many hours on the bike). Also, running has decreased the wear and tear, sort-a-speak, of being only in a cycling-specific position. However, Dr. D is correct if your only interest is cycling, then by all means, cycle, cycle, cycle. :banana:

Zard
04-11-2006, 09:46 AM
You have a couple of things going on. 1) Does running hurt your riding and 2) time managment with wife and kids.

I turned from a lot of cycling to triathlon several years ago because cycling just ate up too much time - thus conflicting with my wife and family and I was getting burned out riding everyday.

All I know is that I am in far better shape now because I get a consistent workout throughout the week by running and swimming. It's better to go for a short run (30-50 minutes) consistently than to consistently miss your riding workouts.

Shorter runs will not trash your legs for riding assuming you are riding for recreation/fitness.

I have found my wife and kids are much happier with me training this way than with heavy duty cycling time.

Headwinds
04-11-2006, 11:00 AM
Do any forum members incorporate running into their training/fitness programs.

I've been told by many experts, like Roy Munson, that running no good for cycling...

Grooney,

This topic has been addressed many times before in this forum. However, I think that some people answering your question are missing the point (or perhaps, I may be the one answering your question wrong!!!)

There is my opinion: if the purpose of your riding a bike today is purely for fitness, I don't think incorporating running in your program is a bad idea. When I raced bikes I rarely had the energy or desire to run and when I was a competitive runner I NEVER rode a bike! It has been proven that running can actually be detrimental to your riding (and vise versa) for several reasons. One of them is that you are using a different set of muscles to do each activity. So the better you get at one thing, the weaker you will be at the other.

Today, I do all this physical activity to stay fit and to prove something to MYSELF, not to beat the local racers or to enter the master's road championships. So I run anytime I can not get on my bike. Since I really enjoy riding more than running, I limit my runs to 4-5 miles at a moderate pace. For me, that is 8-9 minute mile warm up and steady pace close to 7 min. miles. Sometimes, my tri-athlete friends kill me with a 7-8 mile run at sub 7 min/mile, but I get really beat up after these!

I definitely think that you will get a better cardiovascular workout by running. I don't have to push too hard to raise my heart rate when I run. Whereas, I feel I have to push myself hard to sweat when I am on my bike. I also hate to get on a trainer since the weather is almost always good for a workout outdoors where I live.

Anytime I run I incorporate a 10-15 minute stretching routine, although when I ride I don't stretch as much.

My final advice is don't ever do a hard run if you plan on doing a long or hilly ride the following day. You will feel it!

coylifut
04-11-2006, 11:01 AM
It's better to go for a short run (30-50 minutes) consistently than to consistently miss your riding workouts.

Shorter runs will not trash your legs for riding assuming you are riding for recreation/fitness.

I have found my wife and kids are much happier with me training this way than with heavy duty cycling time.

I think Zard is spot on here. Running is far better than doing nothing and if running in the schedule promotes marital bliss, lace em up.

JanG
04-11-2006, 11:03 AM
I am also a long time (almost 30 years) runner who is cycling again after an extended absence. I have found that by combining both sports, I can work out 6-7 times a week, year round. There is no way that I could either run 6-7 times a week or cycle 6-7 times a week without injury to my body or my family life.

However, there is one aspect to this topic that I haven't seen adressed yet: the supposed long term benefit of load bearing exercise (running) on bone health as one ages. Are there any experts out there who would care to comment on the differences between cycling and running in this area?

Thanks.

Brons2
04-11-2006, 11:16 AM
Who cares if it's good for your bones, if it's so horribly bad for your joints.

I haven't run a step in years. And, I don't have much interest in doing so. I'd rather ride a double century than run 50 feet.

I have an uncle, who is a big runner and actually ran a 4:02 mile in high school. Just had hip replacement surgery this year. He's also had knee and ankle problems. No thanks.

sam.g
04-11-2006, 11:25 AM
Good point regarding bone density. Last year at 55 during a physical exam, my physician found that I had an abnormally high discharge of calcium in my blood. This led to a dexascan which further indicated a lessening of bone density in my lower back and pelvis. Although fairly uncommon in the male population, my physican believes that this was caused by my long term hypothyroid disorder.

So besides medication, this has bolstered my desire to keep running and engage in more weight bearing execises. I believe that there was a thread on this topic in the Road Bike Review board last year.

BigDaddySmooth
04-11-2006, 12:46 PM
[QUOTE=Brons2]Who cares if it's good for your bones, if it's so horribly bad for your joints.

I was an anti-runner for all but the last 2.5 years but now see many merits in the activity. Luckily for me, I have yet to experience joint pain but I don't run crazy mileage either and I think those w/ hip and knee pain/injury rely on running as their only activity. Cross-training is key for all of us.

As an aside, a few years back, I read an interesting study conducted by a group of German physicians. The MDs performed bone density tests on a few Tour riders before and after. The average bone loss was about 25% or greater than would be expected by a debilitated bed-ridden patient would lose in the same 3 weeks. Good thing we all don't have to ride to put bread on the table.