PDA

View Full Version : interesting curiosity

stevep
04-10-2006, 06:30 PM
note well that the rule regarding rail crosssing says that riders cannot cross the tracks when the gates are down and the light is red.
we all saw on tv that the first 3 guys trailing cancellera surely did go around the gate into infamy.
it was also very, very noticeable that after the train went through the intersection boonen and his boys then jumped the tracks before the gates were raised... hmmmm, as i read the rules...they should have been dqd also.
hmmmm, i defer to the jerk on this.

imho they should have overruled the gate rule and fallen back on the common sense...how did it affect the outcome of the race rule.... which is not a rule.
but it should be a rule.

rePhil
04-10-2006, 06:36 PM
I wondered the same thing. I think the red light was still flashing as well.

e-RICHIE
04-10-2006, 06:39 PM
note well that the rule regarding rail crosssing says that riders cannot cross the tracks when the gates are down and the light is red.
we all saw on tv that the first 3 guys trailing cancellera surely did go around the gate into infamy.
it was also very, very noticeable that after the train went through the intersection boonen and his boys then jumped the tracks before the gates were raised... hmmmm, as i read the rules...they should have been dqd also.
hmmmm, i defer to the jerk on this.

imho they should have overruled the gate rule and fallen back on the common sense...how did it affect the outcome of the race rule.... which is not a rule.
but it should be a rule.

imo, there were officials at the gate who should have
made a call immediately. regardless of where you stand
on the first 3 gatecrashers or the second 3, the ruling
should have occured by the commisare (sp?) in the car
or at the site.
there is no reason that a decision could not be made
at the time of infraction. next time ask the coach back
in the day.

stevep
04-10-2006, 06:51 PM
agree. basicly if they decided to enforce this rule the official there could have stood in the road and not let them pass... they all know the rules...but in the heat of the moment it is easy to see this happening.
maybe the radios did not work? maybe they were tuned into show tunes?
oh, well...this seems to happen every 5 years or so in some race or other...it would have been a real genuine drag if the stop had caught cancellera.

e-RICHIE
04-10-2006, 06:57 PM
well, laughs aside...
i kinda think the first three defied the official's
orders to wait another moment, while the second
three were allowed to proceed despite the visual
of the barrier still being down.

btw - did you like the theme from valley of the dolls?
if so, no provo for you.

Len J
04-10-2006, 06:59 PM
agree. basicly if they decided to enforce this rule the official there could have stood in the road and not let them pass... they all know the rules...but in the heat of the moment it is easy to see this happening.
maybe the radios did not work? maybe they were tuned into show tunes?
oh, well...this seems to happen every 5 years or so in some race or other...it would have been a real genuine drag if the stop had caught cancellera.

And it looked to me like an official, the same official, waved the first group through, stopped the second group & then waved them through after the train, but before the barriers raised. If he was a race official (he is in red motorcycle garb), then how can you DQ anyone?

Len

PS here is a link to some pictures...http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=57462

stevep
04-10-2006, 08:20 PM
i think a week from now they will reinstate those 3.
some committee will meet and blah, blah, blah.
they will blame the whole thing on the jerk and call it a day.
their stems were too long...they were already across the tracks ...