PDA

View Full Version : eSoles & Sidi's

makoti
03-09-2015, 05:19 PM
I'm thinking about getting some sort of orthotic type insole for my Sidi's (Genius). Was looking at the G8 insoles (about $130), but a guy who does fittings uses them & says they take up too much room in Sidi's. He suggested eSole efit Supportive insoles. They look adjustable, which would be good. I don't care for the fact that they want $80 for the insoles and then $13 to ship. For insoles? Seems a little overpriced.
Any have any experience with these insoles? I know there may be other options (tried the Specialized, but they made the shoe too tight in the forefoot), but I'm most interested in opinions of these.
Thanks.

oldpotatoe
03-09-2015, 05:35 PM
I'm thinking about getting some sort of orthotic type insole for my Sidi's (Genius). Was looking at the G8 insoles (about $130), but a guy who does fittings uses them & says they take up too much room in Sidi's. He suggested eSole efit Supportive insoles. They look adjustable, which would be good. I don't care for the fact that they want $80 for the insoles and then $13 to ship. For insoles? Seems a little overpriced.
Any have any experience with these insoles? I know there may be other options (tried the Specialized, but they made the shoe too tight in the forefoot), but I'm most interested in opinions of these.
Thanks.

Been using e soles in genius 5 for a long time but had to shave the bottom to be able to attach the straps/buckle. Otherwise couldn't use them. Once shaved, great in soles.

makoti
03-09-2015, 05:52 PM
Been using e soles in genius 5 for a long time but had to shave the bottom to be able to attach the straps/buckle. Otherwise couldn't use them. Once shaved, great in soles.

I tried this with the Specialized I had. Could not get them level. How did you trim & smooth them out? And which model esoles?

fa63
03-09-2015, 06:14 PM
I have been using eSoles with Sidis (Genius 5 Mega) for almost two years now; didn't have to shave/trim anything, they fit perfect as-is and they feel great.

jlwdm
03-09-2015, 07:22 PM
I have been using esoles with Sidi Genius for 7 years. I went custom and new shoes at the time of my fitting - which were different size than I was wearing without esoles. Went with a Mega and with a 1/2 size larger which gave more volume with the same length.

Going custom was a great long term solution. I did not have feet problems, but we were working on a better pedal stroke. I had a great fitter for esoles and for bike fit and pedal stroke.

Jeff

Kentf14
03-09-2015, 07:35 PM
I has some custom foot beds for my SIDI wire shoes made by a well known local bike fitter. He made them specifically for these shoes, but they never worked well for me. They weren't cheap and given the low volume of the shoes they made the closure super funky.
I ended up swapping them out for some Sole Sport footbeds and have been riding these for a little over a year now. Depends on your foot, but these work really well for me.

http://www.amazon.com/SOLE-Thin-Sport-Footbed-Womens/dp/B002VECHK4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425950986&sr=8-1&keywords=sole+thin+sport

makoti
03-09-2015, 08:45 PM
I am really hoping that I don't have to get new shoes a size bigger just to do this. I have ankle joint issues (a drunken fall 35 years ago is finally catching up with me) & just want some extra stability. I love the shoes, they fit great.
I'd looked at the sole inserts, as well. Kentf14, how pronounced is the arch in those?

Kentf14
03-09-2015, 09:01 PM
The arch support in the Sole inserts is much more pronounced than the SIDI factory insert. The arch can be molded to better fit your food according to their website. I didn't need to do this as they fit me well right out of the box.
http://www.theinsolestore.com/insoles-store-brands/sole-custom-insoles.html?activity_type=5&utm_campaign=%28roi%29+insoles+-++sole&utm_content=sole+insoles&utm_creative=b&utm_device=t&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=adCenter&utm_term=%2Bsole+%2Binsoles

Neil
03-10-2015, 02:02 AM
I had to stop using my G8's as they took up too much room, when my Sidi's wear out (so 2935) I'll get the Mega version of my size.

oldpotatoe
03-10-2015, 06:58 AM
I tried this with the Specialized I had. Could not get them level. How did you trim & smooth them out? And which model esoles?

Err, don't know. About a decade ago we(Vecchio's) was an e-sole dealer complete with machine so I got them then but had to use a belt sander we had to make the whole thing thinner. Common with a lot of shoes. It was full custom, map foot, send in info, get custom orthotic, type insoles.

johnmdesigner
03-10-2015, 10:40 AM
Several years ago my insurance paid for a trip to the sports doctor who molded my foot and created a carbon insole. I wear Sidi's and had a rotational problem with my ankle. He created a half sole as the Sidi's were too low in the toe box area to accept a full sole.
If you have insurance that will cover it you might be better off seeking professional assistance. I've now gone through two pair of shoes and the inserts are still working well.

makoti
03-10-2015, 11:38 AM
Several years ago my insurance paid for a trip to the sports doctor who molded my foot and created a carbon insole. I wear Sidi's and had a rotational problem with my ankle. He created a half sole as the Sidi's were too low in the toe box area to accept a full sole.
If you have insurance that will cover it you might be better off seeking professional assistance. I've now gone through two pair of shoes and the inserts are still working well.

Sadly, my ins. doesn't think my feet are worth their time or money. Would not pay for inserts for my normal shoes, much less cycling. I asked my pod. He told me that whatever he did would be the same size as what I have now (WAY too big for the Sidi's). Maybe a sports. or better yet cycling, specific dr is what I need to look for.

batman1425
03-10-2015, 12:03 PM
I just bought a pair of eSole suportives that I'm about to return because they don't fit my new shoes - was guessing on size and guessed too small. If you need a 45/45.5 PM me. They are NIB. Won't be much of a deal, but will save you a few bucks on shipping at least.

makoti
03-10-2015, 12:23 PM
I just bought a pair of eSole suportives that I'm about to return because they don't fit my new shoes - was guessing on size and guessed too small. If you need a 45/45.5 PM me. They are NIB. Won't be much of a deal, but will save you a few bucks on shipping at least.

Arrggh! I need a 43. So close. Would have taken you up on that.

batman1425
03-10-2015, 01:06 PM
Also, here's a chart that will help translate the eSole size to your shoe size. Nothing wrong with the chart, my problem was that I ordered the shoes and insoles at the same time and didn't have the stock insole to measure directly. So I guessed - incorrectly. :mad:

http://www.bikefittingtools.com/index.php?page=esoles-efit-sizing-help

macaroon
03-10-2015, 03:38 PM
Esoles are great with Sidi. The Archtech take up far too much room due to the solid heel cup, and the fact the insoles itself is slighty thicker material. I also found the highest Archtech support to be less than the highest esole support.

makoti
03-10-2015, 09:02 PM
Also, here's a chart that will help translate the eSole size to your shoe size. Nothing wrong with the chart, my problem was that I ordered the shoes and insoles at the same time and didn't have the stock insole to measure directly. So I guessed - incorrectly. :mad:

http://www.bikefittingtools.com/index.php?page=esoles-efit-sizing-help

Thanks for this. According to this chart, I actually need a 42. I was going to order 43 because the shoes are 43's. Guess that's not the way it works.

batman1425
03-11-2015, 08:33 AM
Never is. Sizes for shoes rarely translate across brands exactly.

Hindmost
03-11-2015, 12:01 PM
I have the G8's in my SIDI Ergo 2's. I have skinny, low-arch feet and the G8's are working well. They do take up a little room. I sanded a bit of plastic off of the insole heal rear edges to allow them to better conform to the rounded heal of the SIDI's.

makoti
03-12-2015, 09:48 PM
Decided to try the esoles. Went with a 42-42.5 based on the sizing chart. Insane shipping, but only way to get them. I'll follow-up to this in case anyone else is wondering...

makoti
03-20-2015, 08:56 PM
And following up...
Ordered my eSoles. Got my confirmation. Didn't get my shipping notice. Waited a few days, nothing. Decided to call. # was disconnected. Tried to email. Three times, to different addresses. No response. The website works, but it looks like nothing else does. Been a week, supposed to ship in 2-3 days, 2nd day mail. I'm thinking they are gone & someone forgot to turn out the lights. Guess I'll start looking for my second choice.

tmf
03-20-2015, 09:30 PM
My "poorman's" technique is to use an insole from a pair of running shoes. When I get rid of a pair of running shoes, I keep the insoles which are usually in better shape than the rest of the shoe. I have a few sets and tried them in my Sidi's until I found the best ones. They feel great and cost me $0. It won't work for everyone, but worth a try.