PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo Bottom Bracket Length

Lovetoclimb
03-09-2015, 01:44 PM
Picked up a Campy Racing Triple groupset here with plans to put it on a Surly Crosscheck. The bottom bracket was Italian threaded and I need an English threaded option. My question is length of the axle:

111 mm or 115 mm?

The seat-tube diameter is on the smaller size which suggests I should use the 111 mm option, but the Surly frames are designed with wide chainstays to fit wider tires, which makes me think I need 115 mm or else the 53t chainring may not clear. I may yet go down from the 53 chainring to a 50 or even 46, but to get the drivetrain set-up and the bike rolling I need to pull the trigger on one of those size bottom brackets.

HELP!!???!?

Ralph
03-09-2015, 02:09 PM
Sounds to me like you are asking the right questions. For sure.....it does NOT use the 111 asymetrical one of Record or Chorus. It's either the 111 symetrical or the 115.5. If you can use the 111 symetrical, that's one I would use. Lower Q. The black Centaur ones are nice units also. $50-60 at Ribble.

oliver1850
03-09-2015, 08:46 PM
I could send you a 111 if you want to test it. May have a 115 as well. You might be out some postage in the end but you wouldn't be stuck trying to sell a new BB for used price.

oldpotatoe
03-10-2015, 07:01 AM
Picked up a Campy Racing Triple groupset here with plans to put it on a Surly Crosscheck. The bottom bracket was Italian threaded and I need an English threaded option. My question is length of the axle:

111 mm or 115 mm?

The seat-tube diameter is on the smaller size which suggests I should use the 111 mm option, but the Surly frames are designed with wide chainstays to fit wider tires, which makes me think I need 115 mm or else the 53t chainring may not clear. I may yet go down from the 53 chainring to a 50 or even 46, but to get the drivetrain set-up and the bike rolling I need to pull the trigger on one of those size bottom brackets.

HELP!!???!?

Without 'specing' it, trying each, hard to say. Maybe you could somehow borrow or have a bike shop try the 111 to see if you have clearance. 111 would be best as long as you DO have clearance and sufficient inward travel of front der to get chain onto small ring.

Lovetoclimb
03-10-2015, 09:25 AM
For what it's worth I will be pairing the triple Gruppo with an indexed 10s rear barcon and a friction 10s front barcon shifters.

chwupper
03-10-2015, 11:14 AM
When I was trying to figure out how a WI Eno crank would fit on a Cross Check SS I was buying (complete), I shot the Surly folks an email and they responded in about 5 minutes. Good customer service.

I imagine a triple will require a different spindle length than a single, but the CC SS comes with a 118mm for those wider chainstays.