PDA

View Full Version : Helmets - what fits similar to a Uvex?

jmoore
03-08-2015, 10:34 PM
Both my Uvex are in the recall group. They are not offering an equivalent replacement helmet so I'd like to get another brand.

Anyone gone from a Uvex to something else and it worked out? Giro has never fit me. Not even close.

Lewis Moon
03-09-2015, 05:41 AM
Both my Uvex are in the recall group. They are not offering an equivalent replacement helmet so I'd like to get another brand.

Anyone gone from a Uvex to something else and it worked out? Giro has never fit me. Not even close.

I looked a bit and couldn't find the actual model names. I'm interested in finding a helmet that fits my hatchet head.

jmoore
03-09-2015, 06:19 AM
I looked a bit and couldn't fine the actual model names. I'm interested in finding a helmet that fits my hatchet head.

The model names of the recalled helmets? They are all indicated by a number molded into the foam on the inside under one of the pads.

Lewis Moon
03-09-2015, 06:50 AM
The model names of the recalled helmets? They are all indicated by a number molded into the foam on the inside under one of the pads.

Yeah I saw that. Does the model number actually correspond to a name? I'm not familiar with UVEX helmets and I'll be hunting for a better fitting helmet soon and would like to avoid the recalled models. If a model has a name folks rarely use the model number in an add.

victoryfactory
03-09-2015, 06:56 AM
Wow.
Thanks for the heads-up on that recall.
I might get a new lid out of it...
VF

jmoore
03-09-2015, 09:14 AM
Yeah I saw that. Does the model number actually correspond to a name? I'm not familiar with UVEX helmets and I'll be hunting for a better fitting helmet soon and would like to avoid the recalled models. If a model has a name folks rarely use the model number in an add.

XB027 is a Boss Race
XB032 is the FP01 (I think)
XB038 is the Ultrasonic

Essentially it's the entire top end road and mountain line. They don't have any road helmets available as replacements.

hockeybike
05-26-2015, 11:49 PM
Merde! I just noticed this.

Anyone go through the recall and get a refund or a new helmet?

R3awak3n
05-27-2015, 12:01 AM

weird, I went from uvex to giro and found the fit to be similar as in they both fit fine and were confortable.

victoryfactory
05-27-2015, 05:39 AM
Merde! I just noticed this.

Anyone go through the recall and get a refund or a new helmet?

Yep. I sent in my 3 year old Boss Race 027 which cost 115. new.
They sent me a check for 110. Took about 2 weeks.
They didnt have a replacement or I would have gone for that. Apparently they are still working on a new USA version of their road helmets.

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2015/Bicycle-Helmets-Recalled-by-UVEX-Sports/

GScot
05-27-2015, 06:16 AM
LAS, maybe. I need a long oval which I find common to older Bell. My LAS seems like a really tough helmet with a polycarbonate insert on top, great ventilation and adjustment. But some days it does seem tight front to back. I tried a POC on and believe it would work, just waiting to run across a new MIPS version in white.

jmoore
05-27-2015, 09:20 AM
Yep. I sent in my 3 year old Boss Race 027 which cost 115. new.
They sent me a check for 110. Took about 2 weeks.
They didnt have a replacement or I would have gone for that. Apparently they are still working on a new USA version of their road helmets.

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2015/Bicycle-Helmets-Recalled-by-UVEX-Sports/

Since they didn't have a decent road helmet in the replacement bunch, I never sent mine in. I'm still riding them both. Obviously no issues so far.

I'll be trying on a Kask Vertigo when the time comes. The new Giro fits better than the other Giro's I've tried in the past. That's an option.

GScot, will check out the LAS if I can find one.