PDA

View Full Version : Nice, France Cycling Routes

ByronApp
03-08-2015, 03:03 PM
Gentlemen: I'm headed to Nice for about two weeks in the beginning of April. :banana:

Would love to hear if you have any recommendations for routes, cafes, cycling cycling clubs, group rides, coffee, etc. etc. :)

Thanks!

rrudoff
03-08-2015, 03:24 PM
Not too much to recommend on riding, There are lots of nice places, but we don't usually have our bikes during Nice visits, however can recommend two outstanding and not too expensive restaurants in Vieux (Old) Nice. We have eaten at both these restaurants many times and never regretted it. Reservations at either are essential.

One is La Rossettisserie Roast meats, simple but amazingly good
8 Rue Mascoïnat, 06300 Nice
Reservation : 04 93 76 18 80 cloased Sunday, they also serve lunch

The other is Le Bistro Du Fromage, Cheese and more, really good wines
29, rue Benoit Bunico, 06000 Nice, France
Sunday Closed

ByronApp
03-08-2015, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the recommendations, I'll be sure to visit. :)

cnighbor1
03-08-2015, 05:39 PM
try
1. http://francetourism.com/practicalinfo/sports-biking.htm
I use bicycle touring companies to see were they go
2 crazyguyonabicycle.com type in france and see what others have ridden
3. http://shop.lonelyplanet.com/france/cycling-france-guide-2/
4. http://www.aukadia.net/alps/nfa.htmor head up into the alps
I rode the rhine and mountains on either side around Comar France that was nice area to ride in

thegunner
03-08-2015, 10:42 PM
Are you kidding me? I hate you right now.

oldpotatoe
03-09-2015, 07:10 AM
Gentlemen: I'm headed to Nice for about two weeks in the beginning of April. :banana:

Would love to hear if you have any recommendations for routes, cafes, cycling cycling clubs, group rides, coffee, etc. etc. :)

Thanks!

WEll, a LONG time ago but ride down to Caan on the coast road, then back up the coast to Monaco-then back to Nice. Did that with 2 other guys when ship(USN CV) was in Caan, July 1988. The locals weren't thrilled with a 1000 ft long CV out the balcony window in their Bazillion Franc apartments, so we weren't treated particularly well but.....great riding.

Lanterne Rouge
03-09-2015, 08:52 AM

Thanks!

April is a good time, the spring on the Cote D'Azur is amazing. I rode from Nice to Agay (about 60 - 65k) and then got the train back. You can take the coastal road all the way or part of the way and turn inland around St. Andrieu (I think that's how it's spelt). That way you avoid Cannes and Antibes traffic. There is one challenging climb at the end but then you have the descent all the way into Agay. It's not an amazing ride but very pleasant. I'd also recommend you learn some basic French expressions it you don't already.

sandyrs
03-09-2015, 08:58 AM
Nice-based clothing company Cafe Du Cycliste has compiled a list of rides in their area on their site. They break them up into Seaside, Hill and Mountain rides. All look spectacular and I am very jealous right now.

http://www.cafeducycliste.com/en/rides/

572cv
03-09-2015, 10:11 AM
We were there about 5 years ago, staying in Le Bar sur Loup. Great area for cycling. Also in April. The area was lousy with cyclists, many training in big groups with their clubs from all over the region.

The loop that goes through the Gorges de Loup, around through Tourettes sur Loup, then Vence, then up over the Col de Vence and back around is not to be missed. On the way, the lemon tarts at the Patisserie in Tourettes: also not to be missed. Fantastic.
Going up to Gourdon and then west across the plateau de Caussols, then back around through Grasse is also sweet.
Getting up high is, in general, pretty great.
For a switch, there are a lot of gravel roads, quite rideable, in the Massif de l'Esterel south west of Cannes. And, for a hoot and an easy day, ride from there down to St Tropez and back along the coast. St Tropez is one of the most over the top conspicuous wealth locations in Europe. Particularly, get a sandwich and watch the yachts maneuvering and preening in the harbor.
There is a whole area all around Fayence which is really un-touristy and has some great riding, up down up down. So pretty, good views. Except if the rain comes and you get socked in. Which reminds me, definitely watch the weather (meteo) and bring a good rain jacket.

We enjoyed it so much that we plan to go back in September :)

ByronApp
03-09-2015, 05:01 PM
Amazing suggestions, keep em coming! Thanks so much guys, I can't wait to try them all out.

ByronApp
03-09-2015, 05:02 PM
Are you kidding me? I hate you right now.

:banana::banana::hello::hello::bike::bike::bike:

:p

mosca
03-09-2015, 06:07 PM
Provence is hard to beat for riding, I'm officially jealous.

The Lac de Sainte Croix and Gorges du Verdon areas stand out in my memory for the amazing scenery and great cycling roads, not too far from Nice.

Also, you're very close to San Remo if you want to try some of the MSR race route.

Bon Voyage!