PDA

View Full Version : Way OT-VW Jetta SW and windshield cleaner light

oldpotatoe
03-08-2015, 12:56 PM
In the JSW thread somebody mentioned using non blue, orange Rainex fluid and the fluid low level light on all the time.

Well orange stuff in, light on. My question is using it up and replacing with the more traditional blue stuff, did the low level light start working normally? IE when full, light out?

Grazie a bunch

Black Dog
03-08-2015, 01:50 PM
It should, but if not, run the tank dry and remove the sensor and clean it with electronics solvent. I have a Jetta TDI wagon and have never had this issue with the winter (orange) rain-x fluid. What year is your car? Perhaps their is a different recipe here in the Great White North®.

oldpotatoe
03-08-2015, 02:24 PM
It should, but if not, run the tank dry and remove the sensor and clean it with electronics solvent. I have a Jetta TDI wagon and have never had this issue with the winter (orange) rain-x fluid. What year is your car? Perhaps their is a different recipe here in the Great White North®.

2013. Sure couldn't see where the sensor is. I think buried pretty deep. I try to flush and see. Still under warranty.

Black Dog
03-08-2015, 02:33 PM
2013. Sure couldn't see where the sensor is. I think buried pretty deep. I try to flush and see. Still under warranty.

I would run the tank dry then poor in some rubbing alcohol before putting in different fluid. Does not seem like getting at the sensor will be easy. The rubbing alcohol may remove the film that is fouling the sensor. If that does not work then bring it back in to the dealership. It makes no sense that previous generations of VW's can deal with any type of fluid and your generation of car can't. It is a VW problem not a Rain-X or Old Spud problem.

gavingould
03-08-2015, 06:21 PM
interesting question... my low-washer-fluid light came on about a week and a half ago, i finally filled it up with blue stuff on Friday. light went out right away.

not sure if the new blue stuff i got is winterized at all, or what was in the tank before, but i was more worried about what little there was freezing in there. we were cold for quite a while.

Ken Robb
03-08-2015, 07:12 PM
I'd guess these sensors work on electrical conductance rather than a mechanical float so dumping the wrong fluid and adding the correct stuff will probably solve the problem without extra steps/flushing, etc.

Louis
03-08-2015, 07:59 PM
Other than messing up your level sensor, what's the benefit of the orange stuff?

oldpotatoe
03-09-2015, 06:04 AM
Other than messing up your level sensor, what's the benefit of the orange stuff?

When I went to the hardware store for something else, it was there, so picked up a couple of gallons..in our snow event mode. I wasn't looking for it specifically. I'll use the stuff in the tank up, flush with alcohol, re fill with blue, report back.Thanks for the responses.

Black Dog
03-09-2015, 06:26 AM

The orange rain-x is rated to -45 Celsius and contains an additive that makes your windshield hydrophobic which is a real nice thing to have in rain (do not need to use wipers at highway speeds), makes scraping ice much easier, and improves wiper performance. It is probably the additive that is fouling the sensor.

dpk501
03-13-2015, 05:03 PM
I've just flushed my old TDI with one to one ration of distilled water and isopropyl alcohol. Cycled 2 gallons until the sensor turned off. I hope this helps.