PDA

View Full Version : Pogliaghi flags

choke
03-07-2015, 08:46 PM
While cleaning up my Pogliaghi, I noticed something I found a bit odd. The middle flag on the drive side before the name is one that I can't identify at all. :confused: The colors and vertical orientation are correct for Belgium yet the order is wrong. The last flag, which I would guess is Italy given the colors, is also orientated backwards....though it could be Ireland and the color is off.

AFAIK the decals are original. I never noticed it until today and I've looked at the bike more times than I can count; it's probably similar to the emails with the letters in the words out of order and I've seen what I thought it should be rather than what is actually there.

Doing a search, it seems mine isn't the only one that looks this way.....below are three others borrowed and cropped from the web (the green bikes are not the same, one is a track and one a road).

mistermo
03-07-2015, 10:01 PM
The flags of Belgium and Ireland have been copyrighted such that anyone who seeks to reproduce them must alter the order of their panels.

Black Dog
03-08-2015, 08:48 AM
Flip the orientation putting the Union Jack on the other end and it will be fine.

christian
03-08-2015, 09:15 AM
Flip the orientation putting the Union Jack on the other end and it will be fine.

No, it won't. The Belgian flag has the yellow field in the middle.

That said, what does the decal look like on the other side?

numbskull
03-08-2015, 09:43 AM
Beautiful bike. How about some more pictures? What vintage?

Steve in SLO
03-08-2015, 09:46 AM
Flag blowing in the wind with the flagstaff towards the front, like the US right shoulder patch?

Steve in SLO
03-08-2015, 09:51 AM
Christian is right, that ain't Belgium. More like Germany on its side.

choke
03-08-2015, 10:05 AM
No, it won't. The Belgian flag has the yellow field in the middle.

That said, what does the decal look like on the other side?Each of the 4 flag sets are different and the rest are correct.Beautiful bike. How about some more pictures? What vintage?None of those are mine. I will have some pics soon, I'm in the process of refurbishing it. My best guess going by the SN is '80/'81.Christian is right, that ain't Belgium. More like Germany on its side.Yep....except the German flag is on the other side.

03-08-2015, 11:33 AM
Italians. What can you say? I had a Sante P track frame and briefly one of his road frames as well. More quirks and oddities than you can count. If you ever met him, you wouldn't be surprised that he couldn't get the flags right. Probably never bothered to check.

There's another thread on this forum about OCD, right?

nooneline
03-08-2015, 02:21 PM
Italians. What can you say? I had a Sante P track frame and briefly one of his road frames as well. More quirks and oddities than you can count. If you ever met him, you wouldn't be surprised that he couldn't get the flags right. Probably never bothered to check.

There's another thread on this forum about OCD, right?

haha. that's really funny. My Pogliaghi has "Pogliaghi" stamped on both of the seatstay caps, where they meet the seatcluster. Or rather, one side has Pogliaghi stamped on it, and on the other side: Pogliagh.

03-08-2015, 06:37 PM
haha. that's really funny. My Pogliaghi has "Pogliaghi" stamped on both of the seatstay caps, where they meet the seatcluster. Or rather, one side has Pogliaghi stamped on it, and on the other side: Pogliagh.

Santé came from the days when bike builders were blacksmiths. Have you ever looked at the old rides of Coppi, Bartali, even of Anquetil? If Richard Sachs and Joe Bell ever turned out a frame like that, we'd burn them in effigy. You really do have to understand what a significant turning point it was in bike frame history when Mario Confente actually decided that a bike needed to be art.

And just for the record, all the big builders -- Masi, De Rosa, and so on -- always were putting different wreaths, medallions, and stickers on their frames to celebrate Olympic or Worlds victories. I remember even seeing a De Rosa with a Trophé Barrachi celebratory decal on it. I've seen Tour de France victory decals with the direction of the Tour shown the wrong way around, with the wrong year for the year the brand actually won it, even a Tour de France decal on a Merckx of all things with a Belgian flag in the middle of the outline of France.

And don't think this kind of thing is over. There's a psycho frame builder who was putting frites funnels on his cross frames. 'Nuf said.

weisan
03-08-2015, 06:40 PM
There's a psycho frame builder who was putting frites funnels on his cross frames.

hahaha....anyone we know? :rolleyes: :p