PDA

View Full Version : OT: Juicing up for the season!

LiveFreeOrDie
03-06-2015, 05:38 PM
Anyone else out there into juicing? I'm currently on Day 3 of a 10 day juice binge to gear up for the season. Great way to reboot the body, remove the toxins, etc. I do a 10 day juice binge once a quarter. I'm slightly tired and have a mild headache. This will all go away tomorrow hopefully. Have to get through the first three days and then the great stuff starts to happen. Currently enjoying a beet, kale, carrot, ginger, parsley, lemon,and cucumber juice . Yumbo! :hello:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e319/surfingtherms/juicer_zps2tlycptf.jpg

JMacII
03-06-2015, 06:00 PM
What's "the great stuff?"

8aaron8
03-06-2015, 07:39 PM
Funny I was thinking about starting a juice thread on here earlier today to see who else on the forum juices and if they have noticed any benefits.

LiveFreeOrDie
03-06-2015, 08:11 PM
What's "the great stuff?"

Well...for me all of the nasty stuff in the ole intestines starts to come out. I lose anywhere from 12-15lbs. Juicing is a great way to replenish the body with what it needs that it doesn't get from processed foods, etc.

Funny I was thinking about starting a juice thread on here earlier today to see who else on the forum juices and if they have noticed any benefits.

I notice tremendous benefits. More energy, crisp thinking. I use only organic vegetables. Doesn't cost that much more than conventional stuff. Too me its worth it. When you don't have your health, you have nothing. I have a juice every morning and do a "cleansing binge" four times a year.

sailorboy
03-06-2015, 09:17 PM
How do you modify your exercise/cycling efforts during these purges?

Something like this sounds interesting to me, but anytime I consider these fasting periods I wonder how I would safely exercise

Dead Man
03-06-2015, 09:21 PM
Isn't this just like mainlining a sugar drip for 10 days?

8aaron8
03-06-2015, 09:30 PM
I have juiced for a few years now and only juice greens, which consists of kale, ginger, and sometimes spinach. I won't put sweeter veggies in mine as I feel an immense sugar crash afterwards. I was curious how many people here use it as a supplement for energy or have tried it. I think that it has become a fad which has possibly given people the illusion that by adding juice to their diet they are now eating well. I think whole foods and not eating processed stuff is key to health with exercise of course. It's still very important to eat vegetables the way they were meant to be eaten for the fiber and the nutrients lost in the processing of juice.

JMacII
03-07-2015, 08:45 AM
Well...for me all of the nasty stuff in the ole intestines starts to come out. I lose anywhere from 12-15lbs. Juicing is a great way to replenish the body with what it needs that it doesn't get from processed foods, etc.

Just curious, but do you keep this weight off? Losing 12-15 pounds in 10 days 4x a year doesn't sound so good.

SlackMan
03-07-2015, 09:10 AM
I don't want to rain on your parade, but do you have good counterpoints to the problems of juice fasts documented by many? E.g., see below:

http://www.ballingerathleticperformance.com/juice-fasting-pointless-waste-time-money/

FWIW, I'm a big fan of drinking vegetables, but I do a fruit/veggie smoothie in Vitamix blender every morning so that I get the fiber and other things a juicer leaves behind. And, I eat a regular (solid-food) healthy diet the rest of the day.

Seramount
03-07-2015, 09:27 AM
I have a masticating type that I use on occasion.

don't care about detox/fasting...just like to make juice with it after a hard ride in hot weather.

typically just throw in some carrots, kale, bell pepper, lemon, parsley, apple...sometimes some pomegranate when my neighbor's tree has fruit on it.

Matt-H
03-07-2015, 10:11 AM
I don't do any juice fasting, but I do juice almost daily. Usually some combo of carrot, celery, ginger, kale, spinach, beets. Although I am susceptible to sugar crashes, these juices have never caused any. The soluble fiber, which is not lost in juicing, helps control blood sugar and is most likely responsible for my lack of crashes. Also, on average only about 10% of nutrients are lost in juicing. In some vegetables, like carrots, juicing allows for more vitamin absorption than the whole veggie. It complements an overall very health diet very well.

LiveFreeOrDie
03-07-2015, 10:20 AM
Just curious, but do you keep this weight off? Losing 12-15 pounds in 10 days 4x a year doesn't sound so good.

No I don't. The weight loss is temporary. It's not my goal to lose weight, its just an added benefit to the fast. For me, the juice fast is a way for me to "get back in groove" of eating healthier. I eat fairly healthy most of the time but I'm a sucker for hamburgers, pizza, etc. The fast helps me realize the lost benefit of eating my fruits and veggies. That's all. :)

OtayBW
03-07-2015, 10:22 AM
I hate beets.

Thank-you.

LiveFreeOrDie
03-07-2015, 10:26 AM
I don't want to rain on your parade, but do you have good counterpoints to the problems of juice fasts documented by many? E.g., see below:

http://www.ballingerathleticperformance.com/juice-fasting-pointless-waste-time-money/

FWIW, I'm a big fan of drinking vegetables, but I do a fruit/veggie smoothie in Vitamix blender every morning so that I get the fiber and other things a juicer leaves behind. And, I eat a regular (solid-food) healthy diet the rest of the day.

No raining. As with anything, there's always going to be people with contradicting opinions. FOR ME, juicing very much helps me out. It's a great way to get your vitamins and minerals that food doesn't have anymore.
Most of the food in the stores is dead. In the end, it all comes down to your attitude and how you choose to eat. Juicing brings me back to eating a lot healthier because I am weak. ;)

LiveFreeOrDie
03-07-2015, 10:27 AM
I hate beets.

Thank-you.

Try them in a salad with goat cheese and a balsamic vinaigrette. Whoa!

JMacII
03-07-2015, 11:33 AM
No I don't. The weight loss is temporary. It's not my goal to lose weight, its just an added benefit to the fast. For me, the juice fast is a way for me to "get back in groove" of eating healthier. I eat fairly healthy most of the time but I'm a sucker for hamburgers, pizza, etc. The fast helps me realize the lost benefit of eating my fruits and veggies. That's all. :)

Sounds good. Basic question: big difference between juice and a smoothie? Is a blender sufficient for juicing or do you need a dedicated juicing machine? What's the clean up time on that?

SlackMan
03-07-2015, 12:31 PM
Sounds good. Basic question: big difference between juice and a smoothie? Is a blender sufficient for juicing or do you need a dedicated juicing machine? What's the clean up time on that?

There's a huge difference. A juicer is designed to remove all or most of the fiber in a fruit or vegetable, and let just the juice flow through. A blender will blend up the whole fruit or vegetable, juice, pulp, and fiber. Having everything is way more filling than just the juice, and lower total calories per volume also. Blending up a fruit or vegetable in a blender might require some additional water or juice or milk.

Google 'smoothie recipes' to see the huge selection of what you can do. My usual morning smoothie is made with a frozen banana, a cup up of frozen blueberries, two cups of kale & other greens, a celery stalk, a couple of carrots, a cup of Greek yogurt, a scoop of protein powder, and enough orange juice to make it all blend (that's about 6oz of OJ). My wife and I split one of these and each have a slice of buttered toast.

Dead Man
03-07-2015, 12:48 PM
The wife smoothies and shares with me. Basically no fruit.... too much sugar. But yea... I wouldn't want to strip out all the fiber and bulk, and don't understand how that came to be regarded as beneficial......? Why wouldn't you want the fiber and all of the other nutrients in the pulp?

johngmartin
03-07-2015, 01:18 PM
No raining. As with anything, there's always going to be people with contradicting opinions. FOR ME, juicing very much helps me out. It's a great way to get your vitamins and minerals that food doesn't have anymore.
Most of the food in the stores is dead. In the end, it all comes down to your attitude and how you choose to eat. Juicing brings me back to eating a lot healthier because I am weak. ;)

:banana: There is a lot to say about finding a method that works best for YOU, even if it lies in the confusing mess of science and nutrition. Sometimes, even if it isn't perfect, if it works for you then it works. Kudos, and keep at it!

Wesley37
03-07-2015, 01:37 PM
+1. Different people have different nutritional needs. I reliably have 2-3 BMs a day, and I am within 5% of racing weight. I do not need more fibre, and neither my wife nor I need to worry about gaining weight.

OTOH juice is a great way to get lots of iron out of greens together with Vit C, which aids absorption. Not taking out the fibre would make it too filling - I would struggle to eat a similar quantity of veg.

Also, in the midst of a migraine, a cup of juiced beets, greens, apple, carrot, ginger and lime gives a surprising temporary degree of relief.

ptourkin
03-09-2015, 10:41 AM
https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/203188108697677824

Neil deGrasse TysonVerified account ‏@neiltyson

The likelihood that a person uses the word "toxin" correlates strongly with how much Chemistry the person does *not* know

zap
03-09-2015, 11:06 AM
I'm eating more meat…….because you know, the road cycling season is here and the body (and mind) demands it.

*typing this as I eat a plate of beef cheeks. :banana:

Likes2ridefar
03-09-2015, 11:53 AM
after reading somewhere about beets and their possible benefits for my last big race ever I trained with drinking beets mixed with apples every day a few hours before each training session.

i swear it made me feel like I had a bit more to give deep in the pain cave.

but i only did that once for about 3 months leading up to the race...

the apples were only to make it palatable. the beets alone were brutal but surprisingly pretty good with apples.

Lewis Moon
03-09-2015, 11:55 AM

The likelihood that a person uses the word "toxin" correlates strongly with how much Chemistry the person does *not* know

Heh....Unless you're an Aquatic Toxicologist I assume.

tumbler
03-09-2015, 12:11 PM

Reminds me of those commercials for these things (http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Stossel/story?id=4636224&page=1).

LiveFreeOrDie
03-09-2015, 12:27 PM
after reading somewhere about beets and their possible benefits for my last big race ever I trained with drinking beets mixed with apples every day a few hours before each training session.

i swear it made me feel like I had a bit more to give deep in the pain cave.

but i only did that once for about 3 months leading up to the race...

the apples were only to make it palatable. the beets alone were brutal but surprisingly pretty good with apples.

Lemons. Lemons change everything in the equation. 8-)

Likes2ridefar
03-09-2015, 12:30 PM
Lemons. Lemons change everything in the equation. 8-)

daily like i was doing would probably have removed all the enamel from my teeth.