PDA

View Full Version : Motobecane Fantom CX Ti bike?

milkbaby
03-06-2015, 02:39 PM
I've been succesful in avoiding n+1 for three years now, but a friend took me out on some gravel/limerock roads recently. It seemed fun, but the sandy and gnarlier surfaces would be easier on a cyclocross bike which I don't have.

For some reason I was just goofing off and saw that the Motobecane Fantom Cross in titanium with 11 speed 105 and disc brakes is only $1399. Anybody here have experience with the BD Ti bikes and specifically the CX bikes? It seems like a good deal for a butted Ti frame. Looking at the geometry chart it doesn't look very different from a typical road racing frame, right?

Cicli
03-06-2015, 02:55 PM
My neighbor bought a Ti road bike from them. It was alright. Crappy wheels, cheap seatpost, stem bars saddle ect. Basically he got a OK Ti frame and a group.

I think for the price you could do a lot better looking for a lightly used bike.

fatallightning
03-06-2015, 03:42 PM
I also saw that, seems like a good deal. A used ti disc bike is going to be very hard to find. I'd strip the graphics off it and ride the ···· out of it. Wish it had a tapered HT or full hydros, but for the price?

KidWok
03-06-2015, 04:15 PM
If the bike is still built by ORA, I'd vouch for it. I owned a Redline Conquest Ti which was also ORA built. I got into a head on collision that totaled the fork but the frame checked out just fine. Sold it to a friend and he's still pounding out the miles on it.

Tubing spec may be different, but if the Motobecane and Redline are at all similar, the only issue I ever had with it was that I tried running front and rear Old Man Mountain racks to carry four panniers...with them loaded down, the frame felt a bit noodly in the main triangle. The bike wasn't design for that of course.

Tai

JulRip
03-06-2015, 06:21 PM
I have one and really like it. Room for 28c tires and fenders. Weighs about 20 pounds. I am using bb7 and stans crest rims with velocity hubs. Mine is older with 130 spacing. Seems well made and rides well.