PDA

View Full Version : Head Cold: ride through it or take it easy?

bcroslin
03-06-2015, 09:31 AM
I've picked up a terrible head cold and while I don't have a fever or aches I definitely have a skull full of snot. I'm pretty miserable today hacking and coughing but otherwise I'll live. After polling a few people I ride with last night most of them say they keep riding when they have colds. I've tried that in the past and I'm convinced I've made myself worse by continuing to ride. I did the training ride last night and sat in and only went 100% twice but immediately dialed it back. I would like to ride again tomorrow and Sunday and just sit in again. I should also mention I'm doing a 65 mile mtb race in Austin on the 28th so I'm worried about losing fitness if I take a week off.

So, ride through it and suck it up or take time off?

Wesley37
03-06-2015, 09:37 AM
FWIW
http://m.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/fitness/exercising-to-avoid-the-flu-its-all-about-the-sweet-spot/article21703905/?service=mobile

Ralph
03-06-2015, 09:38 AM
I would ride as much as you feel like doing, but would back off some. Just ride enough to not lose too much fitness. Let the body heal. But agree with some that becoming a couch potato isn't required either, especially with no fever.

Lewis Moon
03-06-2015, 09:39 AM
One word: Bronchitis.

I watched a national caliber 1/2 marathoner train himself into a stay in the hospital. BE Careful. Work out in the gym. Do strength work. Just don't push too hard.

josephr
03-06-2015, 09:40 AM
go to the doctor! head colds are bad --- but if you've got a mycoplasma (walking pneumonia) you're looking at months, maybe just a couple of weeks if you treat it. Problem is 50% of the time, tests turn up negative. My month of February was basically destroyed and even though I turned 32 miles this past Saturday, a dull headache persists so I'm not quite sure its gone yet. I was hoping for the Rogue Roubaix, but now that's not going to happen. :(

bikerboy337
03-06-2015, 10:03 AM
you know your body better than we do... for me, if i have a head cold, that means bronchitis is coming if i don't rest... so i take it easy, sleep and usually am on antibiotics and prednisone to prevent the bronchitis...

I'd tell someone to rest, but that doesn't mean you cant train a bit, but i'd be hitting bed early and getting as much rest as possible...

FWIW, the head/chest cold that has been going around this past month or two around here has had people sick for 2-3 weeks... so i'd take it easy early on, then slowly work back up... but again, you know your body better than we do...

berserk87
03-06-2015, 10:21 AM
When I am mildly ill, light activity usually makes me feel better.

It depends upon the degree of your illness. If it's as bad as you say then maybe wait until symptoms lighten up a bit.

There is some value to just moving your legs a small bit for a few, even if on the trainer. The key is to stimulate your cardiovascular system without tearing it down so that your body is fighting recovery from both the workout and the illness. That's a balance that you have to find on your own.

I am in no way a doctor, but that's how it's been with me.

bcroslin
03-06-2015, 10:40 AM
I'm not that sick and riding the bike makes me feel better if just for a few hours. I was always prone to colds before I started riding but now that I'm fit I only get one cold a year. Unfortunately my daughter passed her persistent head cold on to me. She's now on a z-pack and feeling better but I obviously don't want this to linger.

I'm taking today off and I'll ride tomorrow but just sit in and spin my legs. If I'm not feeling it I'll take Sunday off as well.

Seramount
03-06-2015, 10:56 AM
I usually try to push thru an illness.

light workouts seem to help my mental state and keep me from being depressed about being sick. not sure if it makes the root cause go away any faster tho.

I wouldn't try to do anything too dramatic...save the high-intensity or long duration stuff for when you're feeling better.

FlashUNC
03-06-2015, 10:57 AM
I once turned a head cold into pneumonia by pushing through. I'd err on the side of caution. Couple days off the bike are preferable to, say, six weeks.

weisan
03-06-2015, 11:34 AM
>>I should also mention I'm doing a 65 mile mtb race in Austin on the 28th so I'm worried about losing fitness if I take a week off.

broccoli pal, relax, sometimes you just have to re-calibrate your expectations, some things are out of your control. Go and have fun.

bcroslin
03-06-2015, 11:42 AM
>>I should also mention I'm doing a 65 mile mtb race in Austin on the 28th so I'm worried about losing fitness if I take a week off.

broccoli pal, relax, sometimes you just have to re-calibrate your expectations, some things are out of your control. Go and have fun.

:)

Dead Man
03-06-2015, 11:44 AM
Ride!

merckx
03-06-2015, 11:56 AM
Ride if you enjoy remaining ill.

Don't ride if you want to expedite recovery.

Dead Man
03-06-2015, 12:07 PM

My experience/feeling has been that if I don't ride, I don't ever end up feeling like I've recovered any faster; and just got even weaker than I would have because I didn't ride.

thwart
03-06-2015, 12:26 PM
I usually try to push thru an illness.

light workouts seem to help my mental state and keep me from being depressed about being sick. not sure if it makes the root cause go away any faster tho.

I wouldn't try to do anything too dramatic...save the high-intensity or long duration stuff for when you're feeling better.

This.

Consider adding a Neti pot and a little Sudafed...

Exercise can act as a mild decongestant.

However, fever/chills... no exercise.

marciero
03-06-2015, 12:30 PM
Sort of an old cyclist's tale: Above the neck ride, Below dont. Does not sound very nuanced approach...

Likes2ridefar
03-06-2015, 12:33 PM
i always go by if i feel like riding, i ride.

Likes2ridefar
03-06-2015, 12:35 PM

i suppose everyone is different but this is not my experience over 10 or so years of riding pretty much no matter what (snow storm, pouring rain, -20F, or sick) since i figured riding a crowded subway was worse with runny nose than pedaling for 45 minutes with farmer blows along the path i commuted on. That also includes longer training rides although generally i never did hard efforts, unless i felt like it.

bcroslin
03-06-2015, 12:50 PM
This.

Consider adding a Neti pot and a little Sudafed...

Exercise can act as a mild decongestant.

However, fever/chills... no exercise.

I just flushed my head out 30 mins ago with my neti. I'm taking some Allegra to dry things up and drinking lots of decaf to sooth my throat. I'm hoping by Monday I'll be good.

Likes2ridefar
03-06-2015, 12:57 PM
personally i would avoid the OTC cold drugs like the plague. they are of dubious origin with crap ingredients and possibly even weaken your immune system while applying the band-aid of pain reduction or antihistamine.

Ozz
03-06-2015, 01:01 PM
I just flushed my head out 30 mins ago with my neti. I'm taking some Allegra to dry things up and drinking lots of decaf to sooth my throat. I'm hoping by Monday I'll be good.

I'd go with Mucinex over Allegra....Allegra is mainly for allergies. Mucinex thins mucus to let your body flush the cold virus the way it is supposed to.

Saline spray, neti pot, sinus rinse....all good stuff

I've been fighting a cold the past month...heading to get my z-pack this afternoon as it has morphed into a sinus infection...yuck.

bcroslin
03-06-2015, 01:34 PM
I'd go with Mucinex over Allegra....Allegra is mainly for allergies. Mucinex thins mucus to let your body flush the cold virus the way it is supposed to.

I've been fighting a cold the past month...heading to get my z-pack this afternoon as it has morphed into a sinus infection...yuck.

You're right. Mucinex it is.

Likes2ridefar
03-06-2015, 01:35 PM
You're right. Mucinex it is.

important with that one to take it consistently for the right amount of time. and just get generic guaifenesin...

may want to read up on it too...quick search, as i thought it was, is that it is for chest colds and not head. all it does is loosen the phlegm for easier removal.

What is guaifenesin?

Guaifenesin is an expectorant. It helps loosen congestion in your chest and throat, making it easier to cough out through your mouth.

Guaifenesin is used to reduce chest congestion caused by the common cold, infections, or allergies.

Likes2ridefar
03-06-2015, 01:46 PM
or swing by my office and take a dip into the candy jar...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/Spookykinkajou/dae616efddd8d8300e63f5929951361e_zps7022ccb2.jpg

gngroup
03-06-2015, 01:50 PM
Seems to be personal preference but I always exercise through a cold/flu. Maybe scale it back a bit and don't push too hard but 'resting' never makes me feel any better or heal any faster.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/25/health/nutrition/25best.html

shovelhd
03-06-2015, 02:51 PM
ride if you enjoy remaining ill.

Don't ride if you want to expedite recovery.+10000

bcroslin
03-06-2015, 03:03 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/Spookykinkajou/dae616efddd8d8300e63f5929951361e_zps7022ccb2.jpg

here's a question - would tamiflu do anything for the onset of a head cold? not asking about after you've got it but to prevent it from being so severe. I'm guessing no but is there anything out there to limit the severity?

Dead Man
03-06-2015, 03:08 PM

Would do me no good... my legs give out way before my lungs, these days.

Got any anabolics?

makoti
03-06-2015, 03:09 PM
Sort of an old cyclist's tale: Above the neck ride, Below dont. Does not sound very nuanced approach...

That's what I was going to add. I used this if I had to ride something, but generally I prefer to rest.

Likes2ridefar
03-06-2015, 03:30 PM
Would do me no good... my legs give out way before my lungs, these days.

Got any anabolics?

Testosterone!

Likes2ridefar
03-06-2015, 03:33 PM
here's a question - would tamiflu do anything for the onset of a head cold? not asking about after you've got it but to prevent it from being so severe. I'm guessing no but is there anything out there to limit the severity?

Maybe maybe not, if it's a flu virus then yes otherwise probably not.

93legendti
03-06-2015, 03:47 PM

+1 on Mucinex.

"When you’re sick, mucus can be a master of mayhem. But Mucinex® is here to help relieve chest congestion. Each Mucinex® tablet has bi-layer technology – one for immediate release, the other for extended release – that lasts for 12 hours.

"Regular strength Mucinex®:

Relieves chest congestion
Thins & loosens mucus
Works for 12 hours
Comes in 20-, 40-, 60- & 100-count packs"