PDA

View Full Version : Steel back in the pro peloton!

531Aussie
04-10-2006, 05:58 AM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2006/apr06/roubaix06/?id=/tech/2006/features/roubaix_bikes1

cs124
04-10-2006, 06:52 AM
noice kath, un-yew-shu-al

TweeWielen
04-10-2006, 07:19 AM
Lets ask George H what he thinks?

a refreshing link indeed. :beer:

Hysbrian
04-10-2006, 07:25 AM
Ballan is the man! Hey E-richie can you put me on your list so that when I RIDE P-R you'll be able to build me a bike...TIA ;)

e-RICHIE
04-10-2006, 07:26 AM
Ballan is the man! Hey E-richie can you put me on your list so that when I RIDE P-R you'll be able to build me a bike...TIA ;)

it'll be on the next train.

catulle
04-10-2006, 07:43 AM
How difficult is it to have a bicycle with a steel frame to weigh in at 15lbs? That is, if there is a UCI limit in terms of the minimun weight allowed for a bicycle, what is the real weight disadvantage for a steel frame in UCI sanctioned races?

Isn't the prevalence of non-ferrous frames in the races more of a business decision than real life weight considerations? I say business decision in the sense that non-ferrous materials are "new", thus sell better, and are cheaper to process and turn into frames; maybe?

These are not rethorical questions as I really don't know enough to have a meaningful opinion. Although in cycling as well as in soccer I root for the Dutch teams (of course, I never get to see my teams win), I'm very sorry for GH's accident, and I hate it when in any way the noble effort of a man is thwarted by Philistine considerations.

e-RICHIE
04-10-2006, 07:49 AM
How difficult is it to have a bicycle with a steel frame to weigh in at 15lbs? That is, if there is a UCI limit in terms of the minimun weight allowed for a bicycle, what is the real weight disadvantage for a steel frame in UCI sanctioned races?

Isn't the prevalence of non-ferrous frames in the races more of a business decision than real life weight considerations? I say business decision in the sense that non-ferrous materials are "new", thus sell better, and are cheaper to process and turn into frames; maybe?

These are not rethorical questions as I really don't know enough to have a meaningful opinion. Although in cycling as well as in soccer I root for the Dutch teams (of course, I never get to see my teams win), I'm very sorry for GH's accident, and I hate it when in any way the noble effort of a man is thwarted by Philistine considerations.

nonferrous materials are generally more adaptable
to the production environment within which the
industry works - the same industry that supports
the sport and expects a return on the marketing.
it's a slippery slope.

Brian Smith
04-10-2006, 06:21 PM
it'll be on the next train.

that was funny.
I'm just getting beyond acceptance and the humor is coping-appropriate.

e-RICHIE
04-10-2006, 06:22 PM
that was funny.
I'm just getting beyond acceptance and the humor is coping-appropriate.

it's all in the delivery.
rail rocks - ask the pierponts and vanderbilts atmo.

The Spider
04-11-2006, 05:05 AM
"but there are times when steel's reliability is worth the extra grams"

well don't just say extra grams....tell us how much that bike weighs...my 853 Reynolds 59cm with 32 spoked wheels and double bar tape weighs less than the 8.43kg for Boonen's Time....this whole 'steel is heavy' and '32 spoke wheels' gets me every year!

shaq-d
04-11-2006, 05:32 AM
"but there are times when steel's reliability is worth the extra grams"

well don't just say extra grams....tell us how much that bike weighs...my 853 Reynolds 59cm with 32 spoked wheels and double bar tape weighs less than the 8.43kg for Boonen's Time....this whole 'steel is heavy' and '32 spoke wheels' gets me every year!

your 59cmm, 32 spoke wheeled steel bike weighs less than 18 lbs? wow... mine is about 21 lbs..

sd

stevep
04-11-2006, 05:32 AM
i just hired a helicopter with a giant magnet and flew it over chester, ct.
it sucked up all of e-richies tubes, lugs, half built frames, etc, etc. anyone waiting for a frame will have to add 2 years to the wait.

you could never do that with carbon fiber. atmo.

makes it better.

sspielman
04-11-2006, 06:18 AM
it sucked up all of e-richies tubes, lugs, half built frames, etc, etc. anyone waiting for a frame will have to add 2 years to the wait.

makes it better.

Those million and one triangular things with the shapes cut out of them aren't broken pieces...they are the fork """""""stiffeners"""""" I may remove the quotes when the lab results are back, because it is bogus to say that anything is stiff without some numbers....

e-RICHIE
04-11-2006, 06:55 AM

makes it better.

so are you the babe magnet or am i?

e-RICHIE
04-11-2006, 06:56 AM
Those million and one triangular things with the shapes cut out of them aren't broken pieces...they are the fork """""""stiffeners"""""" I may remove the quotes when the lab results are back, because it is bogus to say that anything is stiff without some numbers....

who called them fork stiffeners?

unit four plus two

sspielman
04-11-2006, 06:59 AM
who called them fork stiffeners?

unit four plus two

Bob Jackson....(It's always safest to blame a dead guy)

e-RICHIE
04-11-2006, 07:01 AM
Bob Jackson....(It's always safest to blame a dead guy)

he's not dead, he's in new jersey.
(with apologies to desperately seeking susan).

Vancouverdave
04-11-2006, 11:33 AM
Interesting that the Willier has 32 spoke wheels instead of some geek-fraud units, too.

e-RICHIE
04-11-2006, 11:37 AM
Interesting that the Willier has 32 spoke wheels instead of some geek-fraud units, too.
must be budget related, as in low budget.