PDA

View Full Version : Tandem: campy + shimano suggestions

madencbm
03-04-2015, 12:47 PM
On tandem currently have campy 10sp group w/30t max cassette. Desire lower gearing of shimano hub.

Prefer campy brifter.

Options:
1). campy 10sp + jtek devise + shimano 10sp hub

2). campy 11sp + shimano 11sp hub

Relize #2 above has worked on singles, tandems tend to magnify issues you wouldn't notice on single.

Opinions/experience on choice?

ceolwulf
03-04-2015, 01:03 PM
Have not tried it but this might be an option as well: http://velonews.competitor.com/2008/03/bikes-and-tech/can-you-run-campy-shifters-with-a-sram-drivetrain-sure-why-not_73404

oldpotatoe
03-04-2015, 01:26 PM
On tandem currently have campy 10sp group w/30t max cassette. Desire lower gearing of shimano hub.

Prefer campy brifter.

Options:
1). campy 10sp + jtek devise + shimano 10sp hub

2). campy 11sp + shimano 11sp hub

Relize #2 above has worked on singles, tandems tend to magnify issues you wouldn't notice on single.

Opinions/experience on choice?

ERGO, Campag long cage rear der, Shimano mtb 9s cogset and chain. Done this on more than a few tour rigs with great success.

foo_fighter
03-04-2015, 01:37 PM
You can also buy a modified SRAM x-9 derailleur from DaVinci to work with Campy 10s then go up to 34T.

oliver1850
03-04-2015, 03:15 PM
I respaced a Tiagra 10 cassette for use with Campagnolo 10, put it on a Shimano 11 hub. The 11 speed freehub lets you put thicker spacers in without losing one gear. Tiagra goes to 30T, is under $17 at Ribble. There's probably a loose cog S10 MTB cassette if you want bigger than 30T. SRAM isn't the best option as all their cassettes have a carrier for the 3 largest cogs and it complicates respacing. I've run up to a 36 cog with a long cage C10 rear derailleur but it probably won't have enough total capacity for a 12-36 and a triple.

carpediemracing
03-04-2015, 04:03 PM
ERGO, Campag long cage rear der, Shimano mtb 9s cogset and chain. Done this on more than a few tour rigs with great success.

+1

If you're willing to drop to a 9s cassette on the Shimano freehub.

On our (2006 Cannondale road with disc brakes) tandem, which came stock with Shimano 9s, I just installed some 10s Ergo levers, put the cable on the wrong side of the derailleur's clamp bolt, and it works fine. The left Ergo is one of the ratcheting ones, not one that has fixed chainring spots, so no need to mess with the front derailleur. No other changes to the drivetrain other than getting a closer ratio cassette (11-28? vs 11-34? I don't remember). I think I even reused the original shifter cable after filing the head down a bit.

I bought the tandem through a friendly shop, I assembled it there, so I removed the original shifters after pulling the bike out of the box (gave it to them so they could sell the shifters and make some money)

madencbm
03-04-2015, 10:41 PM
Thanks to all for suggestions. A few more options to ponder.

scottaharper
03-05-2015, 12:43 AM
I have been exactly where you are with our tandem. Here are the options that I went through:

1) All Campy parts - not enough low gears
2) JTek adapter - Shifted fine for a few miles, then went out of adjustment. Happened multiple times until I finally gave up on it.
3) daVinci modified SRAM derailleur - worked fairly well, but I ended up worrying about using a solution that had a critical piece custom manufactured by one vendor.
4) Ended up giving up my Campy brifters and went Ultegra 10 brifters/front derailleur and XTR 9 speed rear derailleur. Gives me maximum flexibility and it works really well. Shifts better than any of the options I have tried in the past. Once the transition period was over, I think I like the ergonomics of Shimano better. Ended up switching my singles over to Shimano also.

Hope it helps,
Scott

eak12
03-05-2015, 12:51 AM
The quickest and easiest solution, though not cheap at all, is to use an IRD 11-34 Campy compatible cassette:

http://www.interlocracing.com/cassettes-freewheels/10-speed-elite-road-cassette-1

donevwil
03-05-2015, 01:12 AM
The quickest and easiest solution, though not cheap at all, is to use an IRD 11-34 Campy compatible cassette:

http://www.interlocracing.com/cassettes-freewheels/10-speed-elite-road-cassette-1

I have this (IRD 11-34) on a bike with a Centaur long cage and a 12-32 on my wife's. They both work great. Shifting is not quite as crisp as a Campy 13-29 or 12-30, equivalent to a Jtek Shim 9 attempt and better than any Miche I've tried.

Compared to an entire or even partial shift/wheel swap the price is more than reasonable.