PDA

View Full Version : New car recommendations (AKA bike transporter)

kgreene10
03-04-2015, 11:56 AM
We will be returning to the US in late June and will need a new or new-to-us car. I drive very short distances on a daily basis and longer trips are primarily to bike races.

I'm open to ideas but it seems to me that the ideal car would be fuel efficient (green is best), have space for two 60cm bikes in the back, space for a kid, and have some style. Budget isn't yet determined but let's just say that I vastly prefer to invest my extra resources in bikes rather than in a car and I detest dealing with car maintenance issues.

So, to sum up, cheap, sporty, and hassle-free. Obviously, there are scores of cars that fit the bill, no?

I know there are a lot of JSW fans around here and I'm open to that idea. The one thing is that the rear seats don't fold down flat, do they? Doesn't this cramp bigger bikes, especially if you want to get two in there?

Is there any chance that a Prius would work? (Even though it scores really low on style points in my opinion.)

More pertinent info two posts down in response to an incisive first response.

Thanks for your recommendations.

Ken Robb
03-04-2015, 12:08 PM
If you will be hauling two adults and a kid or two you can forget about folding down the second-row seats because where your child seats will go so you will need a pretty big vehicle if you want to also fit two 60cm bikes inside. I guess you will have to weigh that vs. the smaller/green car you described with external racks. If you need only one kid seat you might do ok taking all the wheels off the bikes and folding down a second row seat that splits 50/50 or 1/3-2/3.

kgreene10
03-04-2015, 12:17 PM
Thanks Ken, that makes sense, so let me add some pertinent details to keep the recommendations on track.

On a typical day, I'll need space for myself, one kid, and no bikes. Easy-peasy.

On a typical race day, I'll need space for myself, no kid, and one 60cm bike inside. For some races, I'll also need space for the second bike and these tend to be longer drives. I guess I would be fine putting the second bike on a rack -- the more fuel efficient the better (on the back?).

It will be rare that I would want to have two adults, the one kid, and one or two bikes. It would be nice to have interior space for one bike with the kid, but I would prefer to sacrifice that option for a better and greener car.

David Tollefson
03-04-2015, 12:19 PM
I just picked up a used Honda Element. Two bikes plus one of the rear seats no problem. Loads of back seat leg-room as well. Sport UTILITY vehicle.

staggerwing
03-04-2015, 12:27 PM
We have, and like, our JSW, but there is no way that I can envision a rear child seat, and fitting two 60cm bikes within.

If you like the idea of a JSW, or even a Prius, or perhaps a Honda Fit, I think you will have to embrace carrying the bikes on the outside. I'm a fan of rear carriers for my JSW, but you may feel otherwise.

FWIW, the TDI sportwagen, with DSG transmission is not rated for towing of any kind, Zero, none, nada. Don't know about the gas model, with the torque converter auto. The manual transmission cars are a different story. I don't know if mounting a receiver hitch, even if only used for a bike rack, and not towing, would raise any flags should a warranty issue arise, I averted the issue with expensive, but solid, Thule Raceway trunk mount rack.

mhespenheide
03-04-2015, 01:03 PM
I can't comment on "sporty", but my wife and I share an old non-sporty '96 Subaru Outback wagon and an equally non-sporty Prius (mid-00's; I don't know the year).

Both will handle a 60cm bike in the back. The Subaru doesn't need the front wheel off; the Prius does.

That said, I use a trunk rack on the back of the Prius and don't notice much of a drop in MPG. Negligible around town; dropping from 50mpg to ~47mpg highway with the back rack and both wheels hung on the rack (to get it narrower).

The Subaru (4-cyl 2.2l manual) gets 24mpg around town and 28mpg highway. Other model years can be quite different...

MattTuck
03-04-2015, 01:08 PM
If I were in your shoes, I'd look at getting a car with a hitch, and a hitch rack.

I currently own a subaru outback. It is great. Plenty of back seat room, all wheel drive (which is good in new england, but may not be as useful in texas), good cargo space.

I don't have a hitch rack but if I got a new outback, I'd put one on. It just opens up possibilities. Even if you put your bike in the back most of the time, it would be nice to have the functionality to bring luggage, bikes and kid.

Likes2ridefar
03-04-2015, 01:13 PM
I vote for the prius and it's what I would buy if I had to get a car. I dont like how it looks inside or out, but it's tough to beat the economics of the car.

I also think it'll handle really good in the snow although I'm guessing that isn't much of an issue for you most likely.

I used to think AWD was required in the northeast but finally coughed up the dough for some top end snow tires and am amazed at how well they handle. this winter has been nasty and i regularly see my '94 camry chugging along with no issues while AWD subarus or SUVs with regular tires are spinning out.

of course an AWD with snow tires would be even better, but I'm getting by fine with FWD on very hilly CT backroads. last night was the worst yet with a few inches of ice all over the road. no problem!

p nut
03-04-2015, 01:18 PM
...perhaps a Honda Fit...

This is what I have (the original 2007--just hit 100k miles!). While I would like to get a JSW for more comfort, I just can't bring myself to sell it. It is just too useful. Super spacious, dead reliable. Magic seats are awesome for bikes and other cargo.

If I were to buy all over again, I would probably wait for the 2016 HRV, which is essentially the big brother of the Fit. Has magic seats and more cargo space.

http://automobiles.honda.com/hr-v/lite/

Cicli
03-04-2015, 01:22 PM
I have a Honda Fit that I love and just bought a Ford Transit Connect wagon. The Fit is perfect if it's just you, a bike and some gear. The Ford will fit several bikes, gear and their people. I love my Transit.

shovelhd
03-04-2015, 01:40 PM
The JSW rear seats will fold down flat if you pull out the bottom seat cushions and swing them into the footwells. They are designed to do that. However I never do that as there is no need to fold flat for the two main reasons I fold the seats down: dump runs and bike travel. You could easily fit two bikes stacked on top of each other without folding flat.

JSW's, especially TDI's, hold their value well so I would not call them a cheap option.

veloduffer
03-04-2015, 01:41 PM
First, you should consider if you need AWD. Given the recent winters in the Northeast, this is almost a necessity.

I would recommend getting a hitch for a bike rack that carries the bike on a tray, like the Thule T2 or 1up racks. Much easier to load and you don't pack the wheels leaving more inside space.

Besides the JSW, the Subaru Outback, Honda CRV, Hyundai Santa Fe, Ford Escape/edge or Mazda CX are choices.

You might be able to fit all in the vehicle if you opt for a minivan, Ford Flex or GMC Acadia/Chevy Traverse.

shovelhd
03-04-2015, 01:43 PM
I would not call AWD a necessity. I would call knowing how to drive your non-AWD vehicle in the snow a necessity.

Elefantino
03-04-2015, 01:48 PM
Hybrid and plug-in hybrid minivans are coming from Toyota and Chrysler, respectively, this year.

Likes2ridefar
03-04-2015, 01:48 PM
I would not call AWD a necessity. I would call knowing how to drive your non-AWD vehicle in the snow a necessity.

very much agree. I feel like many are tricked about AWD being necessary. it costs more and gets less MPG.

snow tires make more of a difference than AWD.

thwart
03-04-2015, 01:50 PM

Exactly. Went from an Audi A4 quattro w/snows to a Golf tdi w/snows.

Very do-able.

BTW, a Prius V would work for your vehicle needs.

p nut
03-04-2015, 01:51 PM

Agreed. If snow becomes an issue, just get some proper snow tires.

But given that the OP is in Austin, I doubt AWD is a requirement for him.

EPIC! Stratton
03-04-2015, 01:55 PM
So my $0.02:

Do the bikes have to go inside? If outside, roof or hitch rack preferred?

My wife and I have a little 2012 Ford Fiesta SE with 3 trays on the roof. Great gas mileage, but not really sporty. Also no fold down 2nd row. As a result I've done a fair amount of research for the next car purchase. Consider a wagon of some kind. Hitch mount has advantage of being removed when not needed (or in my case because my wife hates roof racks). Also you don't have to worry about ripping the bikes off the roof should you drive into a garage or something and forget about them.

Make sure 2nd row will fold flat. Ford Focus may be a good option. Some sort of VW wagon could be good too. I know lots of folks with TDI wagons that love them.

Honda fit is pretty solid choice as well for interior space but small gas friendly car.

shovelhd
03-04-2015, 01:55 PM
It snows in Austin once a millennium. It pays to be prepared.

toastedbread
03-04-2015, 01:59 PM
Another vote for the Fit plus a hitch rack for versatility, although the HR-V looks interesting.

Ken Robb
03-04-2015, 02:03 PM
and both wheels hung on the rack (to get it narrower).

That is a really good idea and I NEVER thought of doing it. DOH!

Ken Robb
03-04-2015, 02:11 PM
Or,on another tack, it might make sense to buy the small green car and rent something bigger on those occasions when the extra room is needed. I have gotten some super nice AWD Utes for $17-20 a day using Priceline Name-Your-Own Price program. If the car you really want gets 40+ mpg vs. 20mpg for the big one you only need occasionally this could save you enough in gas to pay for the rentals.

Ken Robb
03-04-2015, 02:16 PM
very much agree. I feel like many are tricked about AWD being necessary. it costs more and gets less MPG.

snow tires make more of a difference than AWD.
I think some drivers get in trouble because when they experience better acceleration with their first AWD vehicle they don't realize it doesn't help them turn or brake until it's too late. I like to think that after their first "Uh-Oh moment" they wise up.

I agree with the idea that REAL winter tires and 2-wheel drive is better than AWD and M+S tires.

FlashUNC
03-04-2015, 02:31 PM
If you want anything remotely sporty, the Fit won't, well, fit.

Agree with everyone else that your best bet will be a hitch rack. Have had a 2010 GTI since new and had a roof rack for awhile, but the gas penalty and other reasons led me to strip it off the car. I can fold the rear seats to get a 60cm bike in easily with the front wheel off, but two would be impossible.

I'm kicking around the idea of a hitch rack if I need to haul more than one bike.

I'd say something like a Ford Fiesta or Focus with a hitch rack would be the way to go.

p nut
03-04-2015, 02:56 PM
If you want anything remotely sporty, the Fit won't, well, fit...

Just curious, have you driven one before? Yes, it's a econobox, puny 115hp engine, but given what it is, it's actually not bad at all. Light, nimble, relatively stiff suspension--reminds me of an old CRX. I've had my share of sports cars, but the Fit isn't half bad. Don't expect a Lotus experience, and you'll have fun flicking it around.

mhespenheide
03-04-2015, 03:14 PM
That is a really good idea and I NEVER thought of doing it. DOH!

Eh, I don't know if it really helps. It should, in theory, I guess. I did it because the view out the back window of the Prius is so bad that I didn't want anything blocking my side mirrors...

FlashUNC
03-04-2015, 03:20 PM
Just curious, have you driven one before? Yes, it's a econobox, puny 115hp engine, but given what it is, it's actually not bad at all. Light, nimble, relatively stiff suspension--reminds me of an old CRX. I've had my share of sports cars, but the Fit isn't half bad. Don't expect a Lotus experience, and you'll have fun flicking it around.

I have. I thought it was awful to drive. The ride was crashy and unsettled, the engine gutless even by gutless standards. I thought the Mazda 2 was better, honestly.

I was especially disappointed given the old Civic hatchbacks used to be what you described. Fun, earnest, and reliable cars. The Fit was none of those for me. I liked the interior. But that was about it.

EPIC! Stratton
03-04-2015, 03:23 PM
If you want anything remotely sporty, the Fit won't, well, fit.

Agree with everyone else that your best bet will be a hitch rack. Have had a 2010 GTI since new and had a roof rack for awhile, but the gas penalty and other reasons led me to strip it off the car. I can fold the rear seats to get a 60cm bike in easily with the front wheel off, but two would be impossible.

I'm kicking around the idea of a hitch rack if I need to haul more than one bike.

I'd say something like a Ford Fiesta or Focus with a hitch rack would be the way to go.

As a fiesta owner, I'll tell ya it ain't sporty (as in not much get up and go to it). Focus is definitely better IMHO. If you want a lot more space, a smaller Ford Transit could be good. Good MPG and lots of space. Easy enough to car camp in it if needed. Re hitch racks, consider a kuat NV. Rad rack w/ a repair stand built in!

FlashUNC
03-04-2015, 03:31 PM
As a fiesta owner, I'll tell ya it ain't sporty (as in not much get up and go to it). Focus is definitely better IMHO. If you want a lot more space, a smaller Ford Transit could be good. Good MPG and lots of space. Easy enough to car camp in it if needed. Re hitch racks, consider a kuat NV. Rad rack w/ a repair stand built in!

Well, I was implying the ST versions if the OP was looking for sporty as a component. Both definitely fit the bill. Heck, the Fiesta is more highly regarded as a hot hatch than its bigger brother.

But you're right. Comes down to what the OP prioritizes. The Transit would be a fantastic hauling option if bikes inside the vehicle is a must have.

Ralph
03-04-2015, 03:45 PM
Just grit your teeth....and get a minivan. They will haul you and your bikes, your family, and maybe a kids friend or two in comfort. Most have good seats. They all run a long time. For new, get one that depreciates the least like
Honda Odyssey or Toyota. Used.....get a Dodge or Chrysler....they depreciate the most quickly and are best bargains used. . Contrary to internet wisdom, I have friends with the more recent Dodges and Chryslers (6 speed automatics and 3.6 DOHC engines), that have hi mileage trouble free. They all will run past 200,000 miles with reasonable maintenance. About $18,000-$20,000 will buy a used minivan (2012 or 2013) with 30,000 or so miles with remaining factory 100,000 engine and trans warranty. On trips, with a light foot, they get 25-27 MPG (that's what I got recently with a rental on a trip). Around town....not so good.

Ken Robb
03-04-2015, 03:52 PM
Brother Dave Thompson had one of the Chrysler vans and he just posted some pix of it after being totalled in a head-on collision which left him with minor aches and pains. Heck, at his age minor aches and pains mean it's a GOOD day even without a wreck.:)

josephr
03-04-2015, 03:57 PM
I have. I thought it was awful to drive. The ride was crashy and unsettled, the engine gutless even by gutless standards. I thought the Mazda 2 was better, honestly.

I was especially disappointed given the old Civic hatchbacks used to be what you described. Fun, earnest, and reliable cars. The Fit was none of those for me. I liked the interior. But that was about it.

Had the (un)fortunate experience of receiving a Fit from Hertz as a rental car --- I wasn't really impressed, but then I got on the interstate and that's when the cat with scotch tape on its paws got loose on the ice...holy crap, that just plain sucked getting blown across the highway at 80mph!

I guess it'd be fine as a city car --- but not one for me. Someone else suggested a Fiesta -- I've driven its cousin, the Mazda2 and would say it'd be very tight fit....you'll want to move up in a size class for any extended range driving.

Lots of opinions about the 'best bike' car --- my suggestions-
small SUV - Mazda CX-5 , Toyota RAV4....
small wagon/hatch- Mazda3, JSW, Prius/Prius V --- or wait for the next Matrix.

p nut
03-04-2015, 04:13 PM
Just grit your teeth....and get a minivan. They will haul you and your bikes, your family, and maybe a kids friend or two in comfort. Most have good seats. They all run a long time. For new, get one that depreciates the least like
Honda Odyssey or Toyota. Used.....get a Dodge or Chrysler....they depreciate the most quickly and are best bargains used. . Contrary to internet wisdom, I have friends with the more recent Dodges and Chryslers (6 speed automatics and 3.6 DOHC engines), that have hi mileage trouble free. They all will run past 200,000 miles with reasonable maintenance. About $18,000-$20,000 will buy a used minivan (2012 or 2013) with 30,000 or so miles with remaining factory warranty. On trips, with a light foot, they get 25-27 MPG (that's what I got recently with a rental on a trip). Around town....not so good.

Don't know if his situation warrants a van as he'll be alone most of the time.

Rented a T&C a while back. Comfortable, for sure, and lots of room. Didn't enjoy the 19MPG we got mixed driving.

veloduffer
03-04-2015, 05:05 PM

Almost a necessity. It depends on the terrain and vehicle. We have short steep hills and our minivan with snow tires can't go up certain streets of they aren't plowed or full of slush like today. The van is too heavy and these roads where you get almost no momentum going into the start of the hill ( eg coming off a t-intersection)

Having driven in ski country for decades, there are times when the back roads (gravel, hard pack) freeze and you can't get any traction (Awd, and snow tires) unless you have studs or chains.

oldfatslow
03-04-2015, 05:29 PM
This is my team car (alas upside down for some reason).

AWD.

Two singles and a tandem on the roof (and I could have put more but really didn't need to).

Four passengers + 55lb Vizsla in the back.

Power luxury everything.

And while mine is the normally aspirated 3.5 liter if you have the a need for performance you can get the AMG version with a 6.3 liter bi-turbo which puts out 577hp to all the wheels.

Of course, mine is unreliable and if something breaks parts are available and all you need to do is send one of your children to work in Germany for several years as an indentured servant as payment.

Net: Pricey but wonderful.

Elefantino
03-04-2015, 07:19 PM
Brother Dave Thompson had one of the Chrysler vans and he just posted some pix of it after being totalled in a head-on collision which left him with minor aches and pains. Heck, at his age minor aches and pains mean it's a GOOD day even without a wreck.:)
What? Where? Cabo?

Glad to hear he's OK-ish.

Ken Robb
03-04-2015, 07:25 PM
What? Where? Cabo?

Glad to hear he's OK-ish.
Yep, he was on the highway to La Paz and an oncoming car lost control and hit him head-on. He was alone so no other injuries on his side. I thought he might have posted pix here but I guess it was on Facebook. The van was destroyed. I was impressed how well it protected him.

dave thompson
03-04-2015, 11:56 PM
Honda Odyssey or Toyota. Used.....get a Dodge or Chrysler....they depreciate the most quickly and are best bargains used. . Contrary to internet wisdom, I have friends with the more recent Dodges and Chryslers (6 speed automatics and 3.6 DOHC engines), that have hi mileage trouble free. They all will run past 200,000 miles with reasonable maintenance. About $18,000-$20,000 will buy a used minivan (2012 or 2013) with 30,000 or so miles with remaining factory 100,000 engine and trans warranty. On trips, with a light foot, they get 25-27 MPG (that's what I got recently with a rental on a trip). Around town....not so good.
I'll second the Chrsler minivan thought for two reasons, maybe three. First, it's a fabulous people/stuff hauler. Seven folks if they're real friendly or six readily. With Chrysler's Stow nGo feature, the middle and rear seats fold individually underneath the floor for a totally flat cargo area if needed. We keep one center seat erect and carry 3 bikes and 3 riders and all necessary gear inside. Second it gets extremely good gas mileage. I've recorded as high as 30 mpg and can depend on 24~27mpg almost constantly. It handles and brakes very well, is extremely stable at high speeds and in windy/gusty conditions. It performed extremely well on the 3000 mile drive down to southern Baja California, which brings me to the third reason.

It saved my life! Two weeks ago I was involved in a high-speed head on collision, each car doing about 60mph. Both cars were destroyed. The other driver is still in the hospital. As for me, I got out of my smoking ruin of a car and thought, literally, "Cool! I'm alive." I did suffer some very slight injuries, plus some aches snd pains but I was walking around after the collision helping where I could.

The collision was the other driver's fault and they had good insurance. So last week I called my Chrysler dealer back in Spokane from whom I purchased my Town and Country minivan from and ordered another one to be ready when I get back to the states in April.

Often now I sit on the steps, watch the sun rise and think, I'm alive, thank you.

lucasfarr92
03-05-2015, 02:11 AM
Hatchbacks are the way to go for cycling. I have a Mazda 3, and I think it was a good choice. VW Golf and the Jetta Wagon like you said are good as well.

Having a Mini-Van was my backup. Take out all the rear seats, and throw bikes in with ease.

kgreene10
03-05-2015, 12:58 PM
Thanks guys. Keep the suggestions coming, especially if you want to second a particular car that's already come up or add a new option.

I'm going to have to veto the mini-van. We decided on one kid only because we didn't want to have to get one ;). It's just overkill for my daily needs.

I'm liking the idea of something that can handle one bike inside on a regular basis and a hitch mount rack when I need to carry two.

I guess that hews in favor of a wagon or a hatchback including the JSW, Prius, various Mazdas, Honda CRV and the new Honda mentioned above. Did I miss anything?

I might mention that I'm 6'1" and all leg. That shouldn't be a problem for the type of vehicles under consideration.

veloduffer
03-06-2015, 06:34 AM
I might mention that I'm 6'1" and all leg. That shouldn't be a problem for the type of vehicles under consideration.

I would definitely test drive any car to make sure the seats are comfortable. Some cars have shorter seat cushions and lack support for folks with long legs.

stephenmarklay
03-06-2015, 06:57 AM

Oh shoot I knew that Van. I missed this but I’m glad he is ok.

stephenmarklay
03-06-2015, 07:04 AM
I am very Happy with my 2015 Fit. The 2015 is a more substantial car that previous iterations.

My EX is a nice little car. I really just needed a local car and it works great. I have only had more substantial and sporty cars like my GTI, MAZDASPEED, ForesterXT etc but I am happy with the price of this.

I paid 17.5k and I am averaging 37mpg for local commutes. The interior is pretty roomy and accommodates my wife and kids and my 58 cm bike (not all together) well.

To each his own...

Likes2ridefar
03-06-2015, 07:07 AM
a need for performance you can get the AMG version with a 6.3 liter bi-turbo which puts out 577hp to all the wheels.

O

that would be awesome to roll in a station wagon that nets, what, 12mpg driven conservatively?

oldfatslow
03-06-2015, 07:15 AM
that would be awesome to roll in a station wagon that nets, what, 12mpg driven conservatively?

If you can afford the purchase price you likely can afford the gas. :)

Likes2ridefar
03-06-2015, 07:16 AM
If you can afford the purchase price you likely can afford the gas. :)

the excessive waste, not the price...

adhumston
03-06-2015, 07:18 AM
I currently own a 2004 jetta tdi wagon with 293, xxx miles on it ive owned for the last 150k or so. No issues at all, other than replacing an alternator and the scheduled maintenance (timing belt, oil hanges, etc). I'm going to sell it though... to get a newer JSW!

The TDI motor is essentially bulletproof if taken care of. Mine still gets 45mpg w/o a roof rack on.

With that being said, we also have a new Forester XT (turbo & CVT transmission). Its the car that gets driven when all three of us go. Running down the interstate w 3 bikes on a hitch rack and loaded w gear we can still get 26-27 mpg. Plenty of room for adults in the rear (just drove 7 hours w 3 adults in back), great power in the mountains, and honestly just fun to drive. Oh, and I can get low-mid 30s for mileage on the highway around 60mph to boot.

In summary, when I'm by myself the Jetta gets drove. When others go its the Subaru. If I could only own just one, it would probably be the Subaru due to the AWD and better versatility (keep in mind this is comparing my mkIV wagon, not a newer JSW).

shovelhd
03-06-2015, 07:24 AM
All VW TDI's are not created equal. The PD motor in your 300k Jetta is practically bulletproof. It's a very simple motor. The CR motors have a lot more complexity and are under significantly more stringent emissions regulations. There is a lot more stuff that can break. This is not to say that a CR motor can't get to 300k, they do, it's just that you may have to shell out more cash to get it there.

Likes2ridefar
03-06-2015, 07:25 AM
how about the rest of the car? i read pretty average to poor reliability for most VW models and very expensive to fix when something does go wrong.

i really like the new golf and will probably have to get a new car next year...

Likes2ridefar
03-06-2015, 07:32 AM
I currently own a 2004 jetta tdi wagon with 293, xxx miles on it ive owned for the last 150k or so. No issues at all, other than replacing an alternator and the scheduled maintenance (timing belt, oil hanges, etc). I'm going to sell it though... to get a newer JSW!

The TDI motor is essentially bulletproof if taken care of. Mine still gets 45mpg w/o a roof rack on.

With that being said, we also have a new Forester XT (turbo & CVT transmission). Its the car that gets driven when all three of us go. Running down the interstate w 3 bikes on a hitch rack and loaded w gear we can still get 26-27 mpg. Plenty of room for adults in the rear (just drove 7 hours w 3 adults in back), great power in the mountains, and honestly just fun to drive. Oh, and I can get low-mid 30s for mileage on the highway around 60mph to boot.

In summary, when I'm by myself the Jetta gets drove. When others go its the Subaru. If I could only own just one, it would probably be the Subaru due to the AWD and better versatility (keep in mind this is comparing my mkIV wagon, not a newer JSW).

thats interesting the avg mpg is about the same as the non-turbo version I've driven. It was the highest end model before hitting the turbo range.

i really like the view from the drivers seat with the new little windows they added. headlights are fantastic too but maybe thats because I'm used to a '94 camry.

i still think they are noisy although better than the previous model and they just look cheap inside especially compared to VWs at a similar or less price point. my camry is significantly quieter inside but that is about the only thing it has going for it over the new subaru:) being free to own and $240 a year for insurance doesnt hurt either!

shovelhd
03-06-2015, 07:36 AM
The moonroof can be problematic. There was a class action lawsuit a while back. I have one, love it, and will do the preventative maintenance to avoid problems.

I think that the majority of the reliability complaints come from DSG owners that bitch about the 40k maintenance. I have a stick so no worries there. This is the sixth VW product I've owned so what others may consider problems I view as character. Stuff like rattles, funky fuel map glitches, strange default configurations. It's just how VW does it. On the flip side the vehicle is very easy for the owner to tweak and customize via software, and Euro and aftermarket parts have eliminated flaws that I am not willing to live with.

The bottom line is that at 21k on my 2014 I remember why I bought a VW every time I push the start button. It is an absolute joy to drive. The jury is still out on whether I'd buy another diesel, but when the 2015 JSW hits the market I wil be visiting my dealer to check it out. The JSW platform fits my needs perfectly.

victoryfactory
03-06-2015, 07:47 AM

Afraid so.... But when is someone going to design a cool one?
larger 3 row suv's also fit the bill but you give up mpg.
Everything is a tradeoff.

Also: I completely disagree with those who say AWD is unnecessary in the
northeast. I have spent the last 25 winters easily maneuvering around people
who are stuck in situations that any Subaru wouldn't even notice. Yesterday I
helped a guy in a 2WD explorer who was blocking the road and spinning out.
This thing had all the design trappings of "off Road" and "Capability" from the marketing dept
but you should have seen the look on the face of the poor guy as each helpful person came by and
pointed out to him that one rear wheel was spinning and his new "SUV" was not making any forward progress.

Knowing how to drive does help, good tires do help but having AWD helps the most IMO.

VF

Likes2ridefar
03-06-2015, 07:50 AM
Also, larger 3 row suv's also fit the bill but you give up mpg.
Everything is a tradeoff.

Also: I completely disagree with those who say AWD is unnecessary in the
northeast. I have spent the last 25 winters easily maneuvering around people
who are stuck in situations that any Subaru wouldn't even notice. Yesterday I
helped a guy in a 2WD explorer who was blocking the road and spinning out.
This thing had all the design trappings of "off Road" and "Capability" from the marketing dept
but you should have seen the look on the face of the poor guy as each helpful person came by and
pointed out to him that one rear wheel was spinning and his new "SUV" was not making any forward progress.

Knowing how to drive does help, good tires do help but having AWD helps the most IMO.

VF

yes but it's RWD for one, probably didnt have snow tires on it, and also probably didnt have any weight in the rear to help with traction.

studies done by tire companies have proven snow tires make more of a difference than AWD. notably with stopping distance.

victoryfactory
03-06-2015, 08:02 AM
yes but it's RWD for one, probably didnt have snow tires on it, and also probably didnt have any weight in the rear to help with traction.

studies done by tire companies have proven snow tires make more of a difference than AWD. notably with stopping distance.

Stopping (and turning) is about tires, no doubt.

same goes for bikes

Likes2ridefar
03-06-2015, 08:09 AM
sort of (not really) related. A VW camper van.

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/12420393/top-blue-jays-prospect-daniel-norris-lives-own-code

p nut
03-06-2015, 08:35 AM
...when the 2015 JSW hits the market I wil be visiting my dealer to check it out. The JSW platform fits my needs perfectly.

2015 is a Golf based platform, right? Looks cool. I wouldn't mind one of those. Probably the 1.8T variety.

oldpotatoe
03-06-2015, 08:40 AM

Slap a Subaru or inline 4/5 VW motor in there..and bob's yer uncle.

FlashUNC
03-06-2015, 08:53 AM
There's always TH Automobile's 800hp VW Transporter project. Marries a Porsche 996/997 engine into a transporter van. The results are suitably insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D32roazuQk

paredown
03-06-2015, 09:20 AM
Hatchbacks are the way to go for cycling. I have a Mazda 3, and I think it was a good choice. VW Golf and the Jetta Wagon like you said are good as well.

Having a Mini-Van was my backup. Take out all the rear seats, and throw bikes in with ease.

Another plug for the Mazda3--one of the nicer small cars I have ever driven. Sporty, tight and quiet and I think enough room in the back for decent sized bike. We test drove them a couple of years ago, and then had to retrench so we didn't buy.

Also, Mazda is pushing the Skyactiv motors--great fuel economy using refined but proven technology--they couldn't sell a Prius copy at a loss and survive so they have not done hybrid or battery...

You also might want to look at the Mazda5--the mini-minivan. It is basically a Euro-sized minivan--or what the Odyssey and Sienna were like before they bulked up... It is also available with the Skyactiv motor AFAIK.

shovelhd
03-06-2015, 09:21 AM
2015 is a Golf based platform, right? Looks cool. I wouldn't mind one of those. Probably the 1.8T variety.

Mark VII Golf platform. Brand new 2L diesel motor with Adblue. Can't get the six speed stick with the gas motor at any trim level. The tech package is back so bixenons are finally available.

Ralph
03-06-2015, 09:48 AM
I am very Happy with my 2015 Fit. The 2015 is a more substantial car that previous iterations.

My EX is a nice little car. I really just needed a local car and it works great. I have only had more substantial and sporty cars like my GTI, MAZDASPEED, ForesterXT etc but I am happy with the price of this.

I paid 17.5k and I am averaging 37mpg for local commutes. The interior is pretty roomy and accommodates my wife and kids and my 58 cm bike (not all together) well.

To each his own...

I am aware of the changes to the 2015 Fit, VS older models. Questions....will two bikes still ride fork mount in rear? With back seats folded? BTW....I agree that Fit's are terrific value for around town vehicle and a bike hauler. My son has a pre 2015 one. Used ones go for so much money, might as well buy a new one. A CRV with it's low rear floor (our family has one), has 36" floor to ceiling height, not as much as a Fit, but the CRV will haul (barely) my 56 CM frame bike fork mounted, plus another same size or smaller. But a loaded CRV is about 50% more money than a Fit. If you don't need the passenger space, I think the Fit makes more sense....or the new coming HRV....it will have the magic seats also....and be a few more inches every direction than Fit.

Ken Robb
03-06-2015, 09:58 AM
..and be a few more inches every direction than Fit.

So they will "Fit" even more. :)

Ken Robb
03-06-2015, 10:08 AM
Last June we bought a 2014 Mazda 3 sedan with 2.5L engine and 6 speed automatic. It is a very good powertrain; smooth, broad power band, 185HP, "intelligent" gear selection in drive but paddle shifters for when I think I might be smarter than the computer. In mixed driving it has averaged 30MPG on regular gas. My MINI Cooper S gets about the same but it needs premium gas.
After 25 years of BMWs I am very pleased with the driving dynamics and build quality.
The rear seats fold in 2 pieces and I think I can get a bike in there if I remove its front wheel but I haven't tried it yet. The hatchback version might take a bike with the wheels in place.

stephenmarklay
03-07-2015, 07:42 AM
I am aware of the changes to the 2015 Fit, VS older models. Questions....will two bikes still ride fork mount in rear? With back seats folded? BTW....I agree that Fit's are terrific value for around town vehicle and a bike hauler. My son has a pre 2015 one. Used ones go for so much money, might as well buy a new one. A CRV with it's low rear floor (our family has one), has 36" floor to ceiling height, not as much as a Fit, but the CRV will haul (barely) my 56 CM frame bike fork mounted, plus another same size or smaller. But a loaded CRV is about 50% more money than a Fit. If you don't need the passenger space, I think the Fit makes more sense....or the new coming HRV....it will have the magic seats also....and be a few more inches every direction than Fit.

Ralph, since we are in winter I have not tried it out but I plan on playing with this over the weekend. I do think it is possible.

paredown
03-07-2015, 12:30 PM
Last June we bought a 2014 Mazda 3 sedan with 2.5L engine and 6 speed automatic. ....The hatchback version might take a bike with the wheels in place.

Yeah, I had kind of assumed that a bike guy would be thinking hatchback, and that's what we tested.

Good to hear from an actual owner too--I really liked the Mazda3--and I have pretty much not liked any Honda I have been around, although I have not tried the FIT.

as an aside, I found out that the Mazda5 mini-minivan is discontinued as of 2015.

Apparently I am contrarian--if I like it, the market kills it...:mad:

Ken Robb
03-07-2015, 01:38 PM
We tested 2013 Mazda 3 but did not buy. Then we got more motivated when it seemed my long-time BMW shop was going to change hands. The 2014 models are totally new and even better than the earlier model.

batman1425
03-07-2015, 02:26 PM
I have a 2011 Mazda 3 hatch that I've been mostly happy with. It is a great car for what it is and is far better appointed than any other option in its class for the money. I think we paid around 20k for it new and the only thing it doesn't have is nav and smart climate control. One feature I really like is the integrated roof rack mounting system. Not sure if the new models have these, but they rock. Pop off 4 covers to expose the threaded inserts in the roof and bolt the thule directly to it. No door hooks, no leaks, goes on and off in less than 10min. Very slick.

Things I don't like:
I expect better gas milage for a car in this category. If I'm CAREFUL I average around 30mpg highway with the rack off (175hp 2.5L 4cyl w/ 6MT) The Audi A3 this car replaced averaged 35mpg under similar conditions plus it had 25hp more and was much more comfortable on long trips - it also cost 10K more.

Part of the reason the Mazda handles so well is because they set them up with a lot of camber. A side effect is they eat tires like crazy if you don't rotate regularly. I ruined the admittedly crappy OEM tires in 19K miles because of this. Rotating every oil change is a must unless you want to listen to deafening road noise from horribly cupped tires that still have 1/2 their tread life left.

Other small things - not the best clutch out there in terms of feel and the paint hasn't held up terribly well to highway grit and stones.

I'll probably keep it till I hit 6 figures on the OD and trade up for something bigger and AWD- something more appropriate for the region of Minnesota we are moving to next year.

malcolm
03-07-2015, 03:22 PM
Yeah, I had kind of assumed that a bike guy would be thinking hatchback, and that's what we tested.

Good to hear from an actual owner too--I really liked the Mazda3--and I have pretty much not liked any Honda I have been around, although I have not tried the FIT.

as an aside, I found out that the Mazda5 mini-minivan is discontinued as of 2015.

Apparently I am contrarian--if I like it, the market kills it...:mad:

mazda 5 minivan was the worst car I've owned in over a decade. I loved the size and the idea of the car but it was my first and last mazda. I know it's a study of one, but damn.

We had about 5 gas caps get stuck and break off in the tank neck, requiring channel locks or vise grips to get out. Not a big deal but clearly a problem they didn't fix.

The rotors were replaced 2 or 3 times and turned several other times for surging brakes but within weeks would be doing it again. Finally just traded it at a loss to get rid of it.

Ralph
03-07-2015, 04:20 PM
The thing about this discussiuon is.....there are lots of cars I like better than any bike hauler. Over 50 years of buying new cars, so I've had them all. Luxury, muscle, sports, trucks, vans, etc. Since I'm an old guy, my idea of a nice car is probably different than you younger guys. A 5 series BMW, E series MB, Audi 6, Cadilac CTS, etc is my idea of a great car. But when I add bike hauler to definition, then Honda Fit, any minivan, etc pops up. and I think of a bike hauler car as a second or third car for family. Don't expect it to be a great driver, or have great seats, etc. Cheap is good also. and good fuel economy. Easy to clean and maintain. I can put one bike in anything. Talking two or more, plus passengers, options slim down. That's the problem with original post.

weisan
03-07-2015, 05:33 PM
Ralph pal gets it.

I once paid $325 for a used dodge caravan to do just that.