PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Bike advice

Connor
03-03-2015, 10:39 PM
So, I'm thinking about getting my first mountain bike and I've come to a bit of a cross roads and can't really decide what to get. I've narrowed it down to 3 potential bikes, each quite a bit different, but with characteristics I enjoy.

The bikes are:

A 2015 rocky thunderbolt 750
http://www.bikes.com/en/bikes/thunderbolt/2015#/models/thunderbolt-750

A 2015 Giant Trance 1
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/trance.27.5.1/18763/76209/

or

A 2015 Kona Explosif I'd build with a 120mm fork, full xt, and hope hubs/stans wheels.

I've ridden an Explosif and actually had a lot of fun riding a hard tail and I've also ridden a Trance but definitely did not appreciate how it climbed compared to the Explosif. I thought a Thunderbolt might be a nice middle ground, but I don't have any experience with it.

At the end of the day each would come out to around the same price from the shop discount I get (Giant is very kind to shop employees). I'm looking to hear some opinions on each/ if anyone has had much experience with any of the bikes listed. More recommendations are of course welcome!

For reference I'll mostly be riding on the North Shore in Vancouver, which for the most part is riding up to the top of mountains and riding pretty steep/ technical trails.

Anarchist
03-03-2015, 10:42 PM
So, I'm thinking about getting my first mountain bike and I've come to a bit of a cross roads and can't really decide what to get. I've narrowed it down to 3 potential bikes, each quite a bit different, but with characteristics I enjoy.

The bikes are:

A 2015 Giant Trance 1

or

A 2015 Kona Explosif I'd build with a 120mm fork, full xt, and hope hubs/stans wheels.

I've ridden an Explosif and actually had a lot of fun riding a hard tail and I've also ridden a Trance but definitely did not appreciate how it climbed compared to the Explosif. I thought a Thunderbolt might be a nice middle ground, but I don't have any experience with it.

At the end of the day each would come out to around the same price from the shop discount I get (Giant is very kind to shop employees). I'm looking to hear some opinions on each/ if anyone has had much experience with any of the bikes listed. More recommendations are of course welcome!

For reference I'll mostly be riding on the North Shore in Vancouver, which for the most part is riding up to the top of mountains and riding pretty steep/ technical trails.

You would be better to ask this question at

Bb.nsmb.com

Which is mostly populated by guys riding on the Shore.

vqdriver
03-03-2015, 10:44 PM
Id go giant.
Cant really compare climbing with a hardtail tho.

brando
03-03-2015, 11:03 PM
I have a hardtail and it's fantastic at climbing and good enough at everything else. It was a LOT cheaper than a fully, but since price is a wash for you, I'd say get one of the full-suspensions.

Tony
03-04-2015, 12:04 AM
Id go giant.
Cant really compare climbing with a hardtail tho.

I always thought that a hardtail was better for climbing, I was wrong. Last weekend I was invited to do a ride on some very difficult rocky, technical climbs.
My friend asked me to try his full suspension Rocky Mountain. I was blown away, a real game changer!

Tony
03-04-2015, 12:31 AM
A dropper seat post is a must have!

Schmed
03-04-2015, 06:34 AM
Given your technical trails, I'd say either of the F/S choices.

Coming from a road background, my guess it that it seems like they don't climb well, but some of that is perception and some of that is technique.

For a F/S bike, you should stay seated to climb and spin, don't hammer. I actually prefer climbing tech trails on a F/S. The rear suspension keeps you hooked up on tech sections.

Once the trail turns downward, the F/S is a dream. You barely have to pick a line - just point and shoot. :bike:

That being said, the simplicity and weight of a H/T are advantages. They'll beat you up, though, on tech / rocky trails.

Enjoy!

Gummee
03-04-2015, 07:24 AM
A dropper seat post is a must have!

Since seeing what a PITA the original Hite Rite was and now problems with dropper posts, I'll disagree with this statement.

Personal opinion: learn on a HT. Learn to pick lines and see your way thru the roots and rocks. Once you've gotten decent at being smooth, THEN get a FS bike to go rip thru the forest.

By that time, you won't be using it to make up for bad technique.

M

Vientomas
03-04-2015, 07:43 AM
Since seeing what a PITA the original Hite Rite was and now problems with dropper posts, I'll disagree with this statement.

Personal opinion: learn on a HT. Learn to pick lines and see your way thru the roots and rocks. Once you've gotten decent at being smooth, THEN get a FS bike to go rip thru the forest.

By that time, you won't be using it to make up for bad technique.

M

Having had zero problems with my Gravity Dropper seat post over years of use, I'll disagree with your statement.

kasak
03-04-2015, 08:14 AM
That thunderbolt is looking pretty nice to me but I can't give you any first hand feedback on it. I will second what Schmed said though about the hardtail. They are nice at first but they do beat you up after a while. Everyone says start there (and I did) but I kinda regreted passing up a good deal on a bit of squish. If I could do it over, I'd jump on the thunderbolt. If I ever wanted to look back, a single speed hard tail would probably sastify the curiosity at a low enough price I would hang on to it.

Either way you go there is a lot fun to be had.

texbike
03-04-2015, 08:16 AM
Hopefully, Kirk Pacenti will chime in soon. I had a MTB question at the end of last year and he was extremely helpful and willing to discuss the pros and cons of different MTB designs. Great guy!

Texbike

p nut
03-04-2015, 08:17 AM
Yeah, I bought a Thomson dropper last season. I can't imagine riding without it now. Total game changer for me.

Bikes: I'm a HT guy, so I'd go with something like an XTC.

45K10
03-04-2015, 08:20 AM
I like the Rocky but the Giant is probably the best bang for your buck. The wife and I moved from Vancouver a year ago. I have a 2008 Ellsworth Ephinany with 140mm fork/60mm rear in the 26" flavor and had a ton of fun on the NS with it.

I assume you have ridden a 27.5" bike. I don't want to open Pandora's box but I don't like the way a 27.5" bike rides but that is just my opinion.

I don't think you can wrong with either FS choice have fun out there.

ofcounsel
03-04-2015, 08:50 AM
I have no experience with either F/S bike, so I can't opine on the qualities of either. But as between hardtails and F/S, heres my thoughts. I have a hardtail (Niner Air 9 RDO) and a couple of full squish bikes (Pivot 429SL and Trek Rumblefish). I love the Air 9 RDO for its simplicity and lightness, and it's great for fire trail climbs and rides under 1 1/2 hours (most of my weekday riding 60%). If I'm doing anything more technical or longer (weekend rides), either of the F/S wins out. On more rocky, steeper technical climbs, the F/S bikes have more traction. And there's just certain trails that are more fun/safer downhill with the F/S.

If I had to choose one, I'd choose an F/S bike. They're just more versatile for the area you live in.

Tony
03-04-2015, 09:30 AM

The bikes are:

A 2015 Giant Trance 1

or

Conner, I'm also looking for my first F/S bike. I have not tried the two your interested in, will try the Giant this weekend. I did get a chance to try out a Santa Cruz 5010 C R yesterday. I thought it was very nice for the price? Have you looked at the Santa Cruz?

bluesea
03-04-2015, 09:42 AM
Good thread. Dont think I'll be road riding very much longer so I'm *finally* converting my rigid SS El Mariachi to geared. I need to find out if I really want to commit to mtb-ing, and if I should go full sus.

The Ibis Ripley looks hot, but a big box package should be easier on the wallet.

Kirk Pacenti
03-04-2015, 09:42 AM
Connor,

Call any time, would be happy to discuss mountain bikes with you! It's my favorite bicycle-related subject! 423.531.6136

I'd personally lean toward the 140mm bike, I can't remember when I last rode a hard tail, and my 100/120 FS bike leaves me feeling undergunned. I'd also suggest test riding a size larger than you normally do, and running a much shorter stem. Most people use their road bike size as a guide and end up on bikes far too small for them...

Cheers,
KP

bcroslin
03-04-2015, 10:09 AM
Giant makes a nice FS mtb. I know a few dudes who ride 29er Trances and they've been very happy.

Spaceman Spiff
03-04-2015, 10:11 AM
Given your technical trails, I'd say either of the F/S choices.

I agree with this.

If you're relatively new to mountain biking and riding North Shore trails, you'll appreciate extra control and forgiving nature of a full-suspension bike. Modern full-suspension designs are so much better than they once were, you hardly give up anything on the climbs.

Some thoughts from someone much more experienced than I: The Best Mountain Bike for Learning Skills? (http://betterride.net/blog/2011/the-best-mountain-bike-for-learning-skills/)

Fatty
03-04-2015, 10:23 AM
Some good choices and if you are going to ride North Shore techy downhills you are right to be looking at duallys.
I agree with Kirk, 140mm travel or for the Shore 160mm front travel, would be a good bet. The current crop of 140mm travel bike bikes pedal as well as 100mm bikes of a few years back.
The Giants pedal well, and yes the dealers will work with the price a little.
For the price range you are looking, have you considered Specialized? The FSR Enduro is a great bike with prove rear suspension design.
Norco has some sweet builds in your price range, some ship with the highly rated Pike front fork.
Intense, still built in California, sells complete bikes now, the Tracer, with there foundation build kit, can be had for 3 grand shipped, full Shimano drivetrain and X-fusion suspension.

Vientomas
03-04-2015, 10:46 AM
Turner makes a nice bike: http://www.turnerbikes.com/bike/models/turner/burner