PDA

View Full Version : OI: Walks It Like He Talks It

rounder
03-03-2015, 08:46 PM
Just wondering. I was clicking around on youtube and saw Bob Dylan singing Tangled Up In Blue. I know that not everyone likes him but who else is out there brings it like that these days. I also liked John Lennon and Townes Van Zandt.

You know, play with conviction. Lay it all out there. This does it for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwSZvHqf9qM

pinkshogun
03-03-2015, 08:54 PM
nobody does eyeliner quite like Zimmy

djg21
03-03-2015, 09:00 PM
Just wondering. I was clicking around on youtube and saw Bob Dylan singing Tangled Up In Blue. I know that not everyone likes him but who else is out there brings it like that these days. I also liked John Lennon and Townes Van Zandt.

You know, play with conviction. Lay it all out there. This does it for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwSZvHqf9qM

I'm a big Dylan and Townes fan too. Nashville Skyline and Blood on the Tracks are two of the best albums ever (IMO).

In the singer/songwriter mold, I really like Jason Isbell (formerly of the Drive-By-Truckers) a lot. I also like Steve Earle and Lucinda Williams, who frequently cover Townes.

The Dylan and the Band basement tapes that were released a few month back are really good.

cmg
03-03-2015, 09:03 PM
It's all right Ma (i'm only bleeding) was the one that made stop and listen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYajHZ4QUVM

rnhood
03-03-2015, 09:09 PM
Dylan and Lennon were extremely talented songwriters. We really don't have anyone like that these days, although the talent is probably there somewhere. Just that today's lifestyles tend to preclude the environment needed - although this is speculation on my part. It seems that a few hit songs make one so rich these days that further efforts get misplaced.

Great music composers fall under the same predicament. We just don't see them like we used to.

christian
03-03-2015, 09:11 PM
John Prine
Steve Earle
Robert Earl Keen
Chris Knight
Drive By Truckers
Hayes Carll
James McMurtry
Todd Snider
Richard Thompson

and Warren Zevon

(Just scanned my iphone)

bluesea
03-03-2015, 09:23 PM
Great performance--I like Dylan a lot. His work on Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid is still classic.

mhespenheide
03-03-2015, 10:52 PM
Iron and Wine and Ray LaMontagne are two of my current favorites in that (wide) genre.

thirdgenbird
03-03-2015, 11:03 PM
Thrice does a phanominal live show. They have a great live sound that is remarkably similar to their studio work.

Here is a full concert:
http://youtu.be/rrXUbuhTOA4

i can attest that it sounds this way in person, just louder :) If you don't like the song, wait for the next. They cover a wide variety.

thirdgenbird
03-03-2015, 11:40 PM
Dylan and Lennon were extremely talented songwriters. We really don't have anyone like that these days, although the talent is probably there somewhere. Just that today's lifestyles tend to preclude the environment needed - although this is speculation on my part. It seems that a few hit songs make one so rich these days that further efforts get misplaced.

Great music composers fall under the same predicament. We just don't see them like we used to.

There is some massive talent out there today. You just don't hear it on the radio. Today's talent are playing small venues with ticket prices of $0-35.

bironi
03-04-2015, 12:23 AM
Joni Mitchell
Laura Nyro
Sorry, I missed the phrase, "these days".

jr59
03-04-2015, 06:33 AM
1000+ On Warren Zevon

gomango
03-04-2015, 09:36 AM
Mason Jennings
Frank Turner
Benjamin Booker

fuzzalow
03-04-2015, 11:46 AM
For sure Bob Dylan and John Lennon. For these two to have become the cultural icons they became is testament to both their musical advances and the roles they took on, or were burdened with, for their influence and presence outside of music.

Dylan became the spokesperson/poet of his generation during a time of tumult and upheaval. He turncoated with a Stratocaster at the Newport Folk Festival and was greeted with boos and scorn by the folk movement status quo.

Lennon spoke his mind about society, culture and anti-Viet Nam and was rewarded by deportation proceedings filed by the Nixon Whitehouse.

There may be other giants in their fields or musical genres, Miles Davis comes to mind in this regard, but none had the call and circumstances to be what Dylan and Lennon turned out to be for their respective times.

Most of what I think of as more common would be great musicians that made great strides but turn out to be less iconic because they were missing something. Because what they did was be a great musician but they are missing on the part about cultural significance - and sometimes missing still but not for trying. And over time that image might stumble into caricature. The two examples that come to mind are Keith Richards and Bono – one comes across as self-indulgent and the other comes across as self-glorifying. This is not to fault them as to what they do – they made or make music many enjoy and that is enough. But to strive for real significance is often a confluence and symbiosis of history and circumstance in collision with a person of depth and means. In an increasingly superficial world, that becomes an exceedingly rare event.

Saint Vitus
03-04-2015, 12:46 PM
I'd say there is a good crop of the younger generation, to name a few:

Beck
Thom Yorke
Britt Daniel of Spoon

fuzzalow
03-04-2015, 02:21 PM
OK, Lennon and Dylan is setting the bar too high. "Walks it" is then taken to mean that the artist follows the direction of his own creative compass, how about it meaning that?

I dunno about all that's out there now, I just know what I like. So for the younger, newer artists out there I'd add to the list:

Jack White - not completely up on what he's done after White Stripes but I think he's been all over the map sonically. Which for Jack White is a good thing.

Robert Plant - I'd argue is the most successful ex-member of any goliath band much less as a Zep ex-pat. His last record "lullaby and...The Ceaseless Roar" is a sophisticated, mature work

Steven Wilson - solo act now but ex of Porcupine Tree and lots of producer-work done with death-metal band Opeth. His latest album is "Hand.Cannot.Erase" and is an ambitious, deep probing work at the human condition. The album is inspired by the Joyce Carol Vincent story in Great Britain. Heady stuff.

So, yes, there's good stuff out there.

BTW, I had on the recommendation of this board, taken a crack at Kanye's "Yeezus" album. It's listenable and different. I dunno what he's really trying to say that can be heard above the endless cacophony of "b_tches" and bling but I'll keep trying. I had to laugh at lines like "$2,000 handbag got no cash inside" or "b_tch gave me a wish list and I wished for more b_tches". The former must deal thematically with the emptiness of materialism and the latter must be about betrayal and indulgence.

Yeah, that's it. It must be. It couldn't possibly be just some guy tattling on about "b_tches" and bling, can it?

josephr
03-04-2015, 02:34 PM
I'd say there is a good crop of the younger generation, to name a few:

Beck
Thom Yorke
Britt Daniel of Spoon

when you're just spinning plates, I'm living in cloud cuckoo land!
-Thom

Spoon is great...earlier mention of Iron and Wine -- I like, but can't get myself in the habit of listening.

What about Tom Petty, Civil Wars, Arcade Fire (to a certain degree).

If anyone mentions Mumford and Sons -- you'll be branded hipster for life!

FlashUNC
03-04-2015, 02:58 PM
Yeah, that's it. It must be. It couldn't possibly be just some guy tattling on about "b_tches" and bling, can it?

It's not my friend. It really isn't.

"Blood on the Leaves" by itself is prototypical wheels-within-wheels kinda stuff. Kanye auto-tuned about these vapid, superficial trappings of the unraveling of a relationship while one of the biggest pop stars on the planet over Nina Simone's seminal version of a song about Jim Crow lynchings?

Dropping out the Simone bits for this overwhelming orchestral beat, or something that's more an assault of sound? All while he's unmoved? Some really precise stuff he's trying here.

I come back a bit to Miles Davis who you cited earlier. With Kanye its meticulously produced -- that's his original gig after all, producing and making beats for others which boosts his count of 21 Grammys -- but its also not necessarily the notes he's playing, its what he's not playing. I think that was Miles, might have been Coltrane, but the theory itself still stands. If that makes sense.

Course, modern day Bob Dylan virtuosity and self-awareness is coming from one brilliant kid from Compton -- Kendrick Lamar. His two latest singles are the such a deep exploration of self and Whitman's "I Contain Multitudes" notion in modern America.

I freely admit chalk all this up as an unabashed hip-hop nerd. Though hip-hop is pop music these days.

thirdgenbird
03-04-2015, 03:06 PM
Jack white. Amazing. I didn't use him as my example because I have not seen him live. Top of my list however.

Jack white
Radiohead
Thrice (done)
Brand New (tickets purchased)

fuzzalow
03-04-2015, 05:28 PM
It's not my friend. It really isn't.

Yes, I know. I haven't gotten to where I can sort through the manner in which the message is conveyed. It oft sounds to me like the repetitive bombast functions simply for the beat & the drive as almost like a carrier frequency and the statements, comments & remarks are interspersed therein.

I come back a bit to Miles Davis who you cited earlier. With Kanye its meticulously produced -- that's his original gig after all, producing and making beats for others which boosts his count of 21 Grammys -- but its also not necessarily the notes he's playing, its what he's not playing. I think that was Miles, might have been Coltrane, but the theory itself still stands. If that makes sense.

Yes I think it was Miles that said that music was the space between the notes so it was not what was played but the importance was in the musical notes NOT played.

Course, modern day Bob Dylan virtuosity and self-awareness is coming from one brilliant kid from Compton -- Kendrick Lamar. His two latest singles are the such a deep exploration of self and Whitman's "I Contain Multitudes" notion in modern America.

I freely admit chalk all this up as an unabashed hip-hop nerd. Though hip-hop is pop music these days.

Well, I can look to you for some guideposts on this. And I will. But for now, this is as fast as I can go on hip-hop music. Today Kanye, tomorrow Kendrick. Thanks for the pointers.

texbike
03-04-2015, 05:52 PM
John Prine
Steve Earle
Robert Earl Keen
Chris Knight
Drive By Truckers
Hayes Carll
James McMurtry
Todd Snider
Richard Thompson

and Warren Zevon

(Just scanned my iphone)

Are you sure that you don't live in Austin?

A few more Texas songwriters for your playlist - Lyle Lovett, the Robison brothers (Bruce and Charlie), Kelly Willis, Dale Watson, Jon Dee Graham, and Erykah Badu. :)

Texbike

Saint Vitus
03-04-2015, 05:53 PM
Jack white. Amazing. I didn't use him as my example because I have not seen him live. Top of my list however.

Jack white

Since Jack's had some mention, I'll throw Dan Auerbach into the mix, his solo record is better than the typical Keys output. Plus Jack thinks Dan is stealing his thunder and all.

djg21
03-04-2015, 07:09 PM
Are you sure that you don't live in Austin?

A few more Texas songwriters for your playlist - Lyle Lovett, the Robison brothers (Bruce and Charlie), Kelly Willis, Dale Watson, Jon Dee Graham, and Erykah Badu. :)

Texbike

Christian and I seemingly share the same CD/Album collection, at least the part that is not Grateful Dead or Widespread Panic. I think sometimes that I should be in Austin. Check out Robyn Ludwick, who is a Robinson sibling.

The New Robert Earl Keen bluegrass Album is awesome, and since Christian mentioned Todd Snider, his new band -- the Hardworking Americans -- is really great. I'm also surprised no-one mentioned Derek Trucks and Tedeschi-Trucks.

Gillian Welch is an incredible songwriter, and her partner David Rawlings is one of the best guitarist playing rock/bluegrass/Americana.

Since this started with Dylan, the New Basement Tapes, with Elvis Costello, Jim James (my morning jacket), Rhiannon Giddens (Carolina Chocolate Drops), Taylor Goldsmith (Dawes), and Marcus Mumford is really good, as is everything ever produced by T Bone Burnett.

OtayBW
03-04-2015, 07:12 PM
Planet Waves: Great, underrated album (what's an album?...) with some terrific songs and stellar accompanying gentlemen...:banana:
I'll also throw Gram Parsons out there for being one helluva talented, influential, and visionary guy.

FlashUNC
03-04-2015, 07:19 PM
Yes, I know. I haven't gotten to where I can sort through the manner in which the message is conveyed. It oft sounds to me like the repetitive bombast functions simply for the beat & the drive as almost like a carrier frequency and the statements, comments & remarks are interspersed therein.

Yes I think it was Miles that said that music was the space between the notes so it was not what was played but the importance was in the musical notes NOT played.

Well, I can look to you for some guideposts on this. And I will. But for now, this is as fast as I can go on hip-hop music. Today Kanye, tomorrow Kendrick. Thanks for the pointers.

You can get me up to speed on Dylan. I still missed a meeting on him.

rounder
03-04-2015, 08:04 PM
Thanks all. I was not trying to limit this to Bob Dylan and John Lennon...but I believe they are great. Had never hear too much about Gram Parsons before, but Grievous Angel is beautiful.

Tony T
03-04-2015, 08:17 PM
J…who else is out there brings it like that these days.

Neil Young. Still touring and writing new music.

OtayBW
03-04-2015, 09:43 PM
Thanks all. I was not trying to limit this to Bob Dylan and John Lennon...but I believe they are great. Had never hear too much about Gram Parsons before, but Grievous Angel is beautiful.
Aside from the obvious places (Grevious Angel, the Byrds, Flying Burritos, and anything even remotely related to country rock and beyond), take a listen to the Stones' Exile on Main Street sometime. It is dripping with Gram Parsons - Dead Flowers, Wild Horses, Sweet Virginia, Salt of the Earth, Dear Doctor, etc. He influenced a lot of folks.

christian
03-04-2015, 09:53 PM
Ha, you know me too well. Lyle is a great artist and the Robisons and Kelly Willis are on pretty constant rotation at the house. Ivy is a big fan too. And the most sung song at our house is "Gulf Coast Highway" written by James Hooker and Nanci Griffith. My requests it every bedtime.

This, of course, is only the roots/Americana playlist. I'm a HUGE fan of traditional country too.

And has anyone been listening to Elizabeth Cook's album WELDER? "Heroin Addict Sister" is really affecting.

bluesea
03-04-2015, 09:55 PM
Johnny Cash (ducks), and I'm from Honolulu too!

djg21
03-04-2015, 10:17 PM
Aside from the obvious places (Grevious Angel, the Byrds, Flying Burritos, and anything even remotely related to country rock and beyond), take a listen to the Stones' Exile on Main Street sometime. It is dripping with Gram Parsons - Dead Flowers, Wild Horses, Sweet Virginia, Salt of the Earth, Dear Doctor, etc. He influenced a lot of folks.

Exile was recorded at Muscle Shoals. Wild horses was performed live by Gram before the Stones performed it.

djg21
03-04-2015, 10:23 PM
Ha, you know me too well. Lyle is a great artist and the Robisons and Kelly Willis are on pretty constant rotation at the house. Ivy is a big fan too. And the most sung song at our house is "Gulf Coast Highway" written by James Hooker and Nanci Griffith. My requests it every bedtime.

This, of course, is only the roots/Americana playlist. I'm a HUGE fan of traditional country too.

And has anyone been listening to Elizabeth Cook's album WELDER? "Heroin Addict Sister" is really affecting.

I love Elizabeth Cook. El Camino is my wife's fav. I like her gospel stuff too. Her duets with Jason Isbell of Tecumsah Valley and Pancho and Lefty are incredible (both Townes songs).

Isbell writes some of the saddest so songs I know: Dress Blues and Elephant. The guy is a real talent.

JAllen
03-04-2015, 11:18 PM
There was a mention of more modern stuff with the same conviction as Dylan and Lennon. I say Wilco's Sky Blue Sky album really strikes a chord in me. Gillian Welch it's always a good time. I'm glad that drive-by truckers was mentioned too. My all time favorite is Elliott Smith (i have tattoo of some of his album art work on my leg and I named a chicken I raised after one of his songs.). Anything from his catalog is wonderful.

victoryfactory
03-05-2015, 07:06 AM
Van Morrison.
Nobody "Owns" it like Van. Drunk, off key, Magnificent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44wDwMQVqCc

RIP: Rick Danko, Richard Manuel, Levon Helm. At least we have the video.......

tumbler
03-05-2015, 07:58 AM
Dylan and Lennon were extremely talented songwriters. We really don't have anyone like that these days

Umm (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfVsfOSbJY0)... hello (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M11SvDtPBhA)...?

texbike
03-05-2015, 10:09 AM

Ha! Who woulda guessed that a crazy Swede would be into roots country. That's awesome!

You're probably all over these as well but check out the Flatlanders and the individual efforts of the primary band members (Jimmy Dale Gilmour, Butch Hancock, and Joe Ely).

Man, you REALLY need to make it down here to Austin for a week or so. The Kerville Folk Fest (www.kerrville-music.com) is coming up as well. Good times!

Texbike

bironi
03-05-2015, 10:52 AM
Van Morrison.
Nobody "Owns" it like Van. Drunk, off key, Magnificent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44wDwMQVqCc

Is this the video to which you refer? I wish there was more of this quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaKD1Vdarnw

victoryfactory
03-05-2015, 11:50 AM
Is this the video to which you refer? I wish there was more of this quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaKD1Vdarnw

Nope. That's the Band in Woodstock, also interesting.

My post was about a vote for someone who walks it like he talks it:
Van Morrison https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44wDwMQVqCc
backed by Robbie Robertson, Rick Danko, Richard Manual, Levon Helm and Garth Hudson (The Band) at the Last Waltz concert in 1978.
He brought the house down IMO. Check out the end when he runs across the stage kicking up his legs but his pants are too tight. Priceless. Van Owns it.

thirdgenbird
03-05-2015, 12:07 PM
Umm (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfVsfOSbJY0)... hello (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M11SvDtPBhA)...?

I was expecting one of those to bring be to a black eyed peas song. Shockingly close.

Lycrical analysis:
http://youtu.be/llKlUBkEQAE

I'm not sure how people listen to this stuff. it stresses me out.

marsh
03-05-2015, 02:46 PM
Tallest Man On Earth (actually a short Swedish dude):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyrYW9Demsc

bironi
03-05-2015, 08:06 PM
This whole conversation is "Tangled up in Time". Who brings it today like someone brought it 30-40 years back? The responses have been all over the map. Someone young with a good sense of music history should start a new thread. I wish that I fit into that category. I'm just happy when something of quality makes it through the noise.

djg21
03-05-2015, 08:49 PM

There was no better roots rock band the The Band. One of the things i have appreciated about living in upstate NY has been being close to Woodstock and being able to see Levon's midnight rambles. His daughter Amy Helm has an album coming out soon, and she is really good. Her old band Ollabelle is also really good.

This song -- Danko/manuel by Jason Isbell -- makes me sad: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zaWkvqah9W8

victoryfactory
03-06-2015, 04:30 AM
This whole conversation is "Tangled up in Time". Who brings it today like someone brought it 30-40 years back? The responses have been all over the map. Someone young with a good sense of music history should start a new thread. I wish that I fit into that category. I'm just happy when something of quality makes it through the noise.

Agreed. Who brings it? is subjective.
VF

fuzzalow
03-06-2015, 08:11 AM
Agreed. Who brings it? is subjective.
VF

Yeah, it is subjective, as is all matters of personal preference as to music. This thread has some posts that talk about it to varying degrees. And other posts just lists names of artists. So there is something for everybody whether it seems as simple head-banger d'uh or ersatz music critic. Nothin' wrong with that.

Keith Richards described his entire approach to rock music as "5 strings, two fingers and 1 a$$hole...".

jr59
03-06-2015, 08:28 AM
Exile was recorded at Muscle Shoals. Wild horses was performed live by Gram before the Stones performed it.

And that recording has Tom Dowd's fingerprints all over it.

Somebody who walks it like he talks it. From ACDC to Wishbone ash. Ray Charles to John Coltrain. And to many others to list.

Saint Vitus
03-06-2015, 09:12 AM
And that recording has Tom Dowd's fingerprints all over it.

Somebody who walks it like he talks it. From ACDC to Wishbone ash. Ray Charles to John Coltrain. And to many others to list.

I'm not sure Dowd was in the booth for that, Jimmy Miller (AKA Mr Jimmy in "You Can't Always Get What You Want") produced that and MSS had any number of engineers. Not to discredit the estimable Dowd, but I can't find any reference to his being on the session.

texbike
03-06-2015, 09:28 AM
Johnny Cash (ducks), and I'm from Honolulu too!

Nothing wrong with Johnny Cash!

We walked into a bar just outside of Aix-les-Bains, France about 10 years for a drink and started talking to the old, grizzled bartender. When he found out that we were from Texas, he turned to his stack of old cassettes on a shelf behind the bar, pulled one out, stuck it in the cassette player and started playing Johnny Cash for us. It was really funny.

Texbike

jr59
03-06-2015, 12:37 PM
I'm not sure Dowd was in the booth for that, Jimmy Miller (AKA Mr Jimmy in "You Can't Always Get What You Want") produced that and MSS had any number of engineers. Not to discredit the estimable Dowd, but I can't find any reference to his being on the session.

I stand corrected.

Also, according to this; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exile_on_Main_St.

No Mussel shoals either.

Sorry

djg21
03-06-2015, 01:05 PM
I stand corrected.

Also, according to this; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exile_on_Main_St.

No Mussel shoals either.

Sorry

I stand corrected too. It was Sticky Fingers that was recorded at Muscle Shoals.

I just had seen this film http://www.magpictures.com/muscleshoals/ on Netflix and misremembered. This film/soundtrack is really good.

Saint Vitus
03-06-2015, 03:54 PM
I stand corrected too. It was Sticky Fingers that was recorded at Muscle Shoals.

I just had seen this film http://www.magpictures.com/muscleshoals/ on Netflix and misremembered. This film/soundtrack is really good.

I need to watch that. I spent a week there a few years ago, people would come to the side door and ask about having a tour (there was a session in progress, so no...), Skynyrd looms large down there still. Funky little building, a lot of the old decor is still there.

OtayBW
03-06-2015, 06:47 PM
Point being (regarding the initial comment on the Stones) was that they were heavily (and surprisingly) influenced by this young hippy kid from California who played spaced out country music. I mean really - whodathunkit? As we were speaking of visionary musicians, I threw Gram Parsons in there because he did some wonderful stuff and had a tremendous influence. [/soapbox]

fuzzalow
03-06-2015, 07:12 PM
Point being (regarding the initial comment on the Stones) was that they were heavily (and surprisingly) influenced by this young hippy kid from California who played spaced out country music. I mean really - whodathunkit? As we were speaking of visionary musicians, I threw Gram Parsons in there because he did some wonderful stuff and had a tremendous influence. [/soapbox]

Gram Parsons, a true giant. I think that maybe he and Mike Nesmith might fight it out over who invented "Country Rock" but Gram Parsons would win as undisputed.

Guys like The Eagles have their monster fortunes and world-wide franchise built on the cornerstone of what Gram started. See his work in the below link done with The Byrds:

The Byrds - Sweetheart Of The Rodeo (Gram's Version) (full album) (http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DjUh7nJdAzL8&sa=U&ei=SlT6VI6TOcmeggT4vISIBg&ved=0CDMQtwIwCA&usg=AFQjCNEYkohKx9arwJRvYLpY01nhXUl5Nw)

rounder
03-06-2015, 07:18 PM
Yeah, it is subjective, as is all matters of personal preference as to music. This thread has some posts that talk about it to varying degrees. And other posts just lists names of artists. So there is something for everybody whether it seems as simple head-banger d'uh or ersatz music critic. Nothin' wrong with that.

Keith Richards described his entire approach to rock music as "5 strings, two fingers and 1 a$$hole...".

Yeah. Was not thinking of Keith. He brought it like anyone ever. Me and Gus was like he had lived it all his life. I did not know about the 5 string guitar part until I read his book. No one else ever had his style...he married a super model and is happy. He wrote most of the lyrics to the rolling stones songs and most of the music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3_JPxIfuBM

OtayBW
03-06-2015, 08:04 PM
Gram Parsons, a true giant. I think that maybe he and Mike Nesmith might fight it out over who invented "Country Rock" but Gram Parsons would win as undisputed.

Guys like The Eagles have their monster fortunes and world-wide franchise built on the cornerstone of what Gram started. See his work in the below link done with The Byrds:

The Byrds - Sweetheart Of The Rodeo (Gram's Version) (full album) (http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DjUh7nJdAzL8&sa=U&ei=SlT6VI6TOcmeggT4vISIBg&ved=0CDMQtwIwCA&usg=AFQjCNEYkohKx9arwJRvYLpY01nhXUl5Nw)
May sound silly, but that album and others like it, had a huge impact on my life personally, and a whole genre of music beyond that. Among the other notable 'usual suspects' (to me), Clarence White and both Lloyd Green and JayDee Maness on steel. As good as it gets. Still in rotation in my truck.

OtayBW
03-06-2015, 08:15 PM

Sorry - this has prompted a lot of memories (that, plus the red....), so here's a couple of additional links for anyone interested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlczEy9-aZM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtSw3CR1Xmo

fuzzalow
03-07-2015, 10:19 AM
May sound silly, but that album and others like it, had a huge impact on my life personally, and a whole genre of music beyond that. Among the other notable 'usual suspects' (to me), Clarence White and both Lloyd Green and JayDee Maness on steel. As good as it gets. Still in rotation in my truck.

Your comment hits on two items that IMO go unrecognized in most person's consumption of music these days:
a sense of where music is and where it might be going - I am not a musicologist but I read. And in all music it helps to know from what & where it has been so that there's context as to what it is now and what might come next. Using as example Gram Parsons - he was well ahead of his time and his insight was revolutionary. His influence created a genre. I dislike speaking in terms of money but it is something people understand: The Eagles franchise alone is worth $100's of millions; in today's tech parlance Mr. Parson's come up with the "next big idea". Historical context helps to identify the musical retreads from the artists that seek in some way to extend their art form forwards.

Mind you, there's nothin' wrong with just creating beauty, there's nothin' wrong with just creating boogie.

Relevance - does music have the ability to be anything more than a medium for temporary distraction today? Can music be important to its audience any longer? This might be no fault of the artist and simply reflective of how things are today - their audience simply doesn't wanna hear it. I can imagine the killjoy in songs about global warming or income distribution inequality or dysfunctional politics.

This thread started with Dylan and Lennon and they made music as well as delivered a message when they felt thus compelled. Music can and did change lives. But I would never sell short that the ability to make positive change was as much due to the listener as well as the artist. I think people back then were more concerned about making the world a more livable place so they were more open to look outside themselves. Steve Jobs had always said the best thing he ever did was drop acid for what it did to expand his consciousness. Music can expand the consciousness and bring awareness that was not there before. Those days are gone.

dcktr1014
03-08-2015, 12:37 AM
John Prine
Steve Earle
Robert Earl Keen
Chris Knight
Drive By Truckers
Hayes Carll
James McMurtry
Todd Snider
Richard Thompson

and Warren Zevon

(Just scanned my iphone)

Great list,
I have not listened to Chris Night or Carl Hayes
Listen to Demons by the Cowboy Junkies. All Vic Chestnutt songs. You'll want to add that to your list.

rounder
03-08-2015, 06:40 PM
Your comment hits on two items that IMO go unrecognized in most person's consumption of music these days:
a sense of where music is and where it might be going - I am not a musicologist but I read. And in all music it helps to know from what & where it has been so that there's context as to what it is now and what might come next. Using as example Gram Parsons - he was well ahead of his time and his insight was revolutionary. His influence created a genre. I dislike speaking in terms of money but it is something people understand: The Eagles franchise alone is worth $100's of millions; in today's tech parlance Mr. Parson's come up with the "next big idea". Historical context helps to identify the musical retreads from the artists that seek in some way to extend their art form forwards.

Mind you, there's nothin' wrong with just creating beauty, there's nothin' wrong with just creating boogie.

Relevance - does music have the ability to be anything more than a medium for temporary distraction today? Can music be important to its audience any longer? This might be no fault of the artist and simply reflective of how things are today - their audience simply doesn't wanna hear it. I can imagine the killjoy in songs about global warming or income distribution inequality or dysfunctional politics.

This thread started with Dylan and Lennon and they made music as well as delivered a message when they felt thus compelled. Music can and did change lives. But I would never sell short that the ability to make positive change was as much due to the listener as well as the artist. I think people back then were more concerned about making the world a more livable place so they were more open to look outside themselves. Steve Jobs had always said the best thing he ever did was drop acid for what it did to expand his consciousness. Music can expand the consciousness and bring awareness that was not there before. Those days are gone.

Good insight fuzzalow. Thanks.

rounder
03-08-2015, 07:46 PM
Agree. Gram Parsons was great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJZ3SAmkQEY

Saint Vitus
03-09-2015, 07:51 AM
Point being (regarding the initial comment on the Stones) was that they were heavily (and surprisingly) influenced by this young hippy kid from California who played spaced out country music. [/soapbox]

From Waycross, Georgia actually and had a privileged life, though his father killed him self in '58.

djg21
03-09-2015, 10:11 AM
From Waycross, Georgia actually and had a privileged life, though his father killed him self in '58.

Who dropped out of Harvard after a semester to pursue music (among other things?).

rounder
03-09-2015, 07:53 PM
Lyle Lovett

Road to Ensenada

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKRsCWhszzw

Saint Vitus
03-10-2015, 07:39 AM
In 5 pages has anyone mentioned Elvis Costello?

djg21
03-10-2015, 08:36 AM
In 5 pages has anyone mentioned Elvis Costello?

Actually yes: http://www.thenewbasementtapes.com.

Excellent album.

rounder
03-23-2015, 07:42 PM
Muddy Waters...Baby Please Don't Go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3Or7huOK7o

victoryfactory
03-24-2015, 06:03 AM
Muddy Waters could bring it!

In the old days down south he would finish his set with
"I got my mojo workin'" or something and he'd secretly grab a bottle of warm beer, shake it up, hold it in a "strategic" position and let it go.

That was before youtube though, so you'll have to use your imagination...

VF