PDA

View Full Version : Head tube extension

Needs Help
03-20-2004, 04:43 PM
Can anyone tell me what HT extension Serotta seems to use in all their images, for example here:

http://www.serotta.com/pages/legendnew.html#

Is it the standard 1.5cm?

Jeff N.
03-20-2004, 06:56 PM
That one looks to be a 1.5cm, yes. Maybe a tad more. That is custom spec. but I'd think that 1cm above the top tube would be a "stock" size. I'm not entirely certain though. Jeff N.

soulspinner
03-20-2004, 07:20 PM
I spoke with a Serotta rep who indicated they have gone to 1.5cm. headtube extensions as their standard. Of course they will build it however you want if its custom. My Strong has only .85cm extension and I really like the look. To each their own.

Russ
03-20-2004, 08:13 PM
I've always looked at these pictures but something seems strange to me.

According to Kelly Bedford, the head tube extension "is the protrusion of the head tube over the top tube." On my Ottrott it is 1.8 cm, but the HT extension on my Ottrott surely looks a lot shorter than these bikes!

I have always requested a smaller (than the provided 1.5cm) head tube extension for my bikes. Why does it measure more when I get them? I have no idea. Maybe I am measuring it the wrong way.... But really, my main concern is that the bike fits.

Now take a look at the Ottrott ST from Serotta Web site and on their '04 catalog: http://www.serotta.com/pages/ottrottnew2.html#
This bike has almost NO head tube extension and NO slope on the TT! Notice, however, that the front wheel is HIGHER from the ground than the rear wheel... Go figure.

Smiley
03-21-2004, 09:29 AM
the stock head tube extends 0.7 cm above TT. The stock or default extension is 1.5 cm for a TOTAL head tube above TT of 2.2 cm unless you want it outherwise. The head tube extemsion must be spec'd at time of fitting. If you want NO head tube extension you'll get the bike with 0.7 cm head tube above TT.

Needs Help
03-21-2004, 02:46 PM
Thanks, Smiley. :)

Now, what about the pictures in the catalog and on the website? Do they look like the standard 2.2cms?

Dude
03-21-2004, 05:02 PM
sometimes when doing the photo shoots, they do not always build bikes exclusively for the photo shoot (sometimes they are employee's bikes). Example, when they first introduced the 'inferno' paint scheme, they pictured an employee's bike. So, to answer your question as to why not all bikes pictured have the stock extension, is that not all the bikes pictured are stock bikes. Kosher?

Needs Help
03-21-2004, 08:10 PM
So, to answer your question as to why not all bikes pictured have the stock extension...

huh?? When did I ask that question?

Dude
03-21-2004, 09:44 PM
oh wait...I guess you didn't. My bad:)

MallyG
03-22-2004, 10:56 AM
HT Extensions? I'm calm, honestly I'm calm. I'm much better now nurse, really I am....

Russ
03-22-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Smiley
....1.5 cm for a TOTAL head tube above TT of 2.2 cm unless you want it outherwise.

Thanks Smiley. That explains why the protrusion of my bikes is always less than 2.2cm.

Phew!

Russ
03-22-2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by MallyG
HT Extensions? I'm calm, honestly I'm calm. I'm much better now nurse, really I am....

Hey guys... Let's not get MallyG all fired up! he is the King of head tube extensions....

Smiley
03-22-2004, 02:44 PM
Damn Russ , that logo should be Flydhest's care to lone it out to him. I never got " to brake is to admit defeat " what's with him and brakes anyway ?

dbrk
03-23-2004, 07:30 AM
The reason for headtube extensions is a direct result of the "superiority" of threadless design. The threadless steerer steals stack height so this 1.5cm "standard" now merely compensates for what was lost when things went threadless. There are almost always better solutions than ht extensions, imo. But you were expecting me to say otherwise? Still, kudos to Serotta for realizing that the stack height loss caused by going with the now industry-standard is a reason to make the ht ext a normal feature of their bikes.

threadlessschemdless,

dbrk

jpw
03-23-2004, 07:43 AM
If one chooses a head tube extension it might be a good idea to also have a seat tube extension so that aesthetically the frame is visually 'balanced' at either end of the top tube. This helps to diminish the sometimes abrupt presence of the head tube extension. It may also reduce stress in the seat tube/ top tube/ seat post area (?).