PDA

View Full Version : Contemplating a Matched Stem

MattTuck
03-03-2015, 12:20 PM
Thinking about having a local builder/painter do a stem for me.

Would probably be a Ritchey WCS 4-Axis, as I like the fact they completely cover the steerer. Will try to get him to match the white, and maybe do a blue and/or red stripe. Also considering whether I should put some new handlebars on there, that are white -- hopefully stripped of any logos. I'm not sure, I might be able to get him to paint the center section of my current bars to match.

What do ya'll think? Too matchy matchy? I really dislike the zipp stem. I feel like it cheapens the bike. Also, I'm most likely going to be getting an edge 500 and mounting that on the handlebar with a mount like the Barfly, so I'll be seeing more of the stem.

Also, I'm due for new bar tape, and I'm considering a switch to blue or red... though I'll probably stick with white.

Appreciate all your advice.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-LEn49l9DRcY/VCremaRTmxI/AAAAAAAAHIs/idXC3I0AlLw/w957-h539-no/IMG_20140929_160219794.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-ZoVrIfo3ipQ/UZVBELvasLI/AAAAAAAAC0o/C0FdBGWMvJQ/w958-h573-no/IMAG0183.jpg

thirdgenbird
03-03-2015, 12:31 PM
Paint to match stem, black bars, black tape.

Dead Man
03-03-2015, 12:37 PM
Or white stem, white tape, white saddle (keep saddlepost black)

FlashUNC
03-03-2015, 12:37 PM
If it were me I'd ditch the Zipp stem for a Ritchey, leave it as-is and go with a black headset and spacers up front.

I think the maroon/red/purple-ish look up front is what's throwing everything off.

Stems take enough abuse that I think painting one would just make it look all the worse when the paint got nicked for whatever reason.

mtechnica
03-03-2015, 12:44 PM
Who cares, it's your bike do whatever you want to it :banana:

toastedbread
03-03-2015, 12:44 PM
White stem, white saddle.

donevwil
03-03-2015, 12:45 PM
I like matching stems and what you suggest would be sweet on that bike. I recommend considering a spacer change as well, maybe single spacer also painted to match. The red headset works matching the thin red trim elsewhere, but IMHO the spacers don't. Now what could be done with the seatpost. hmmmm ???

White stem, white saddle.

Yes, white saddle or RecoveredSaddle custom.

rwsaunders
03-03-2015, 12:58 PM
In lieu of investing in a new stem and paint, you might want to consider having a custom stem fabricated.

MattTuck
03-03-2015, 12:59 PM
I should note, I have a Sweetpost (Titanium) that will be going back on this bike in the spring. And I have a white and red saddle. And will be picking a saddle on comfort rather than color.

Also, the spacers you see are different now. I had the steerer cut down and the spacer stack both above and below the stem is smaller.

Ralph
03-03-2015, 12:59 PM
The Ritchey WCS stem is a quality piece, why cover it up? I think "IT" adds to a bike. I like the wet look.

Ti Designs
03-03-2015, 01:18 PM
When did the cows come home???

choke
03-03-2015, 01:31 PM
If I was going to have the stem painted to match, I think I'd add red and blue stripes to it as well.

But my first choice would be a Ti stem to match the seatpost.

sparky33
03-03-2015, 01:41 PM
These two look shifty. I think they are up to something.

MattTuck
03-03-2015, 01:53 PM

We have cows of all types up here.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-TwQwXm245ns/VEWI-QH0ZTI/AAAAAAAAHNc/GJcbXLjIhXQ/w957-h539-no/IMG_20141020_155014775.jpg

maxcolumbus
03-03-2015, 02:21 PM
That bike is beautiful.. can't wait to see it with a matching stem.

pdmtong
03-03-2015, 02:41 PM
get a ritchey evocurve bar and stem, both in wet white. find some white finishing tape for the bar wrap. there is no need for paint. this is the easiest and lowest cost solution. I know the face plate is not white, but you cant heve it all when you are doing it with cost in mind

http://ritcheylogic.com/road/stems/wcs-4-axis-wet-white-stem.html

christian
03-03-2015, 05:12 PM
Change the headset to silver. Change the seat post to silver. Change the seat clamp to silver. Get a custom Winter stem, painted to match. White tape. Send invoice to pdmtong. :)

Paul recommending the cheap solution, really... Did someone hack your account?

thirdgenbird
03-03-2015, 05:19 PM
Change the headset to silver. Change the seat post to silver. Change the seat clamp to silver. Get a custom Winter stem, painted to match. White tape. Send invoice to pdmtong. :)

Don't forget silver bars.

This really is my favorite so far.

Peter P.
03-03-2015, 05:48 PM
You've got too much going on with the red headset and the spacers. Adding the color coordinated stem will just add to the overkill, especially if you add the matching stripes, which are already too nearby on the headtube.

Black Dog
03-03-2015, 07:19 PM
Paint to match stem, black bars, black tape.

Problem solved on the second post.

dcama5
03-03-2015, 07:21 PM

That's funny, but now that you mention it, you're right. I wonder what they are up to.

dcama5
03-03-2015, 07:25 PM
Thinking about having a local builder/painter do a stem for me.

Would probably be a Ritchey WCS 4-Axis, as I like the fact they completely cover the steerer. Will try to get him to match the white, and maybe do a blue and/or red stripe. Also considering whether I should put some new handlebars on there, that are white -- hopefully stripped of any logos. I'm not sure, I might be able to get him to paint the center section of my current bars to match.

What do ya'll think? Too matchy matchy? I really dislike the zipp stem. I feel like it cheapens the bike. Also, I'm most likely going to be getting an edge 500 and mounting that on the handlebar with a mount like the Barfly, so I'll be seeing more of the stem.

Also, I'm due for new bar tape, and I'm considering a switch to blue or red... though I'll probably stick with white.

Appreciate all your advice.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-LEn49l9DRcY/VCremaRTmxI/AAAAAAAAHIs/idXC3I0AlLw/w957-h539-no/IMG_20140929_160219794.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-ZoVrIfo3ipQ/UZVBELvasLI/AAAAAAAAC0o/C0FdBGWMvJQ/w958-h573-no/IMAG0183.jpg

That bike looks great just as it is... well, if you would just cut that steerer tube off. I should add IMHO.

weaponsgrade
03-03-2015, 10:25 PM
Here's another idea. Paint the Zipp stem white and the steerer tube a contrasting blue or red. I haven't seen that done before.

adampaiva
03-03-2015, 11:09 PM
i think it might be too much and would vote silver stem and bars and seatpost. I had a Paramount I had repainted white and also had a stem painted to match and when I put them together it just seemed like too much and I ended up buying the same stem again in silver.
ymmv of course but thats my opinion.
then again, on my custom Rick Jones I had a stem painted to match and I love the way it looks. https://flic.kr/p/kQnBfR

m_sasso
03-04-2015, 08:11 AM
Because it seems to be the problem, send the bike to me and purchase a new bike to go with the Zipp stem.

Red headset, white headset spacers, white stem, white tape with red and blue highlights in the tape, black bars.

Or keep what you have and just change the tape to white tape with red and blue highlights in the tape

MattTuck
03-04-2015, 09:38 AM
Here's another idea. Paint the Zipp stem white and the steerer tube a contrasting blue or red. I haven't seen that done before.

Interesting idea. That is actually not the steerer directly in that window, it is a shim. But that is an interesting idea. Not sure it would ever really match the annonidization on the headset and spacers.

i think it might be too much and would vote silver stem and bars and seatpost. I had a Paramount I had repainted white and also had a stem painted to match and when I put them together it just seemed like too much and I ended up buying the same stem again in silver.
ymmv of course but thats my opinion.
then again, on my custom Rick Jones I had a stem painted to match and I love the way it looks. https://flic.kr/p/kQnBfR

I hear what you're saying, and white isn't really a subtle color. I really like the look of the Rick Jones you posted, but that is a very subtle color... and I think the matched stem can look better in that case.

Because it seems to be the problem, send the bike to me and purchase a new bike to go with the Zipp stem.

Red headset, white headset spacers, white stem, white tape with red and blue highlights in the tape, black bars.

Or keep what you have and just change the tape to white tape with red and blue highlights in the tape

Nice try ;) I'll be on the look out for some red, white and blue splash bar tape!

You've got too much going on with the red headset and the spacers. Adding the color coordinated stem will just add to the overkill, especially if you add the matching stripes, which are already too nearby on the headtube.

Yeah, I've considered that. Maybe a first step is stripping the decals off the zipp stem and seeing if I can tolerate that any better.

get a ritchey evocurve bar and stem, both in wet white. find some white finishing tape for the bar wrap. there is no need for paint. this is the easiest and lowest cost solution. I know the face plate is not white, but you cant heve it all when you are doing it with cost in mind

http://ritcheylogic.com/road/stems/wcs-4-axis-wet-white-stem.html

Not a bad option, can those decals be removed off the bars?

You know, if I had been able to source Ultegra in the silver color, this bike would look so different. When I build it, I really envisioned it with silver/alloy rims, cranks, breaks derailleurs, seat post and stem and bars all silver. Sorry, no seat clamp on this bike ;)

That said, I couldn't get the group in silver, so I went down this route and now I'm paying for it. Plus, he must know that I work in academia. :help:

Black Dog
03-04-2015, 10:49 AM
That said, I couldn't get the group in silver, so I went down this route and now I'm paying for it. Plus, he must know that I work in academia. :help:

Athena comes in silver...just saying...;)

eippo1
03-04-2015, 11:09 AM
I say try a white WCS first and then paint it if you don't like it.

Also, I came here expecting loads of matching stem pics only to find one. Sorely disappointed. :no:

one60
03-04-2015, 11:16 AM
plasti-dip is great for this kind of experiment...its cheap, easy to apply & the finish quality can be surprisingly good for a rattle can...if you follow instructions properly. The are both matte & gloss clear coats that can be applied for durability & shine just like wet clear coats.

I've used it on a Ti frame & carbon fork and more recently to cover up the graphics that were under the clear coat on a carbon handlebar.

https://scontent-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10154882_237772219748397_6852437401539541272_n.jpg ?oh=213e813efce82ed6820ef1c2fa0118bd&oe=55829C04
AND if you decide its not for you (or want it wet painted)....it can be peeled off!

$8 a can...at HD or find an auto paint shop that offers it.

donevwil
03-04-2015, 11:35 AM
I have noticed that paint-to-match stock forged aluminum stems look fat and out of proportion on steel bikes, looking noticeably more so than in their stock "slimming" black finish. This may support trying a simpler, quicker white solution initially. Ultimately a painted Winter, or even older Salsa, Kelly or Nitto steel stem may be a more pleasing solution.

12snap
03-04-2015, 12:06 PM
I think a white stem with a matching blue/red panel on it would look cool. Add silver bars and blue tape.

I really like how the blue tape matches the panels on this Kirk. It's not my bike. Just a photo I snagged a long time ago of a fellow Paceliner's bike for future paint ideas.

josephr
03-04-2015, 12:06 PM
If I was going to have the stem painted to match, I think I'd add red and blue stripes to it as well.

But my first choice would be a Ti stem to match the seatpost.

like this idea --- a custom stem painted to match and then change out the headset/spacers to black --- everything else black too.