PDA

View Full Version : Mason Cycles; disc road content

macaroon
03-02-2015, 10:44 AM
Thought this might be of interest to those looking for a disc brake road bike (as I have been recently).

http://www.bikerumor.com/2015/02/22/first-look-at-mason-cycles-complete-new-steel-alloy-road-bikes/

UK brand from Dom Mason who was at Kinesis bikes. His new frames under his own name certainly look pretty smart. Loads of cool features, probably out of my price range I think. Worth looking at if you're considering a disc braked roadie though.

oldpotatoe
03-02-2015, 11:15 AM
Thought this might be of interest to those looking for a disc brake road bike (as I have been recently).

http://www.bikerumor.com/2015/02/22/first-look-at-mason-cycles-complete-new-steel-alloy-road-bikes/

UK brand from Dom Mason who was at Kinesis bikes. His new frames under his own name certainly look pretty smart. Loads of cool features, probably out of my price range I think. Worth looking at if you're considering a disc braked roadie though.

shimano only(huzza) and threaded BB..good on 'em.

christian
03-02-2015, 11:22 AM
Those look great. Can't wait to see the geo.

madencbm
03-02-2015, 11:22 AM
Are there fender eyelets on the front fork?? Hope so.

EDS
03-02-2015, 11:57 AM
I still don't understand road disc bikes unless it is for clearance purposes to run big tires (or maybe for some fender set-ups).

fatallightning
03-02-2015, 12:27 PM
Try a hydro disc setup. Amazing modulation and lever feel.

madencbm
03-02-2015, 12:28 PM
I still don't understand road disc bikes unless it is for clearance purposes to run big tires (or maybe for some fender set-ups).

Rim wear from rim brakes if you gotta ride in Pac Northwest wet weather often.

oldpotatoe
03-02-2015, 12:31 PM
Try a hydro disc setup. Amazing modulation and lever feel.

Here we go, seat belts on.

I have but when compared to a dual pivot road machine, not worth the weight, expense, complication, In My Humble Opinion. Not dirt, not gravel, no mud. Just your standard and most common, dry road rides.

strange chain
03-02-2015, 12:43 PM
Had a rental bike with the new shimano hydro discs a couple weeks ago. I'm a believer now. Especially after having a couple of sunny-turned-rainy rides last year where wet rims were making stopping (for traffic) way more exciting than it should have been.

christian
03-02-2015, 01:01 PM
Are there fender eyelets on the front fork?? Hope so.Yes. Confirmed.

macaroon
03-03-2015, 03:27 AM
Yeh, fender mounts front and rear, and the ability to run a rear rack. I can't remember the geometry off the top of my head, but I have seen it. It was quite relaxed; slackish head angle (72) and seat angle (72.5 IIRC) on the size I saw. These numbers change across the range of sizes which is nice.

Volant
03-03-2015, 10:20 PM

Try an 11 (bi-weekly) or better still, a 20 mile descent (few times a year) at 6-7% grade in the rain/mist and you'll understand the need. For those curious; backside of Foothills Pkwy and coming down from Clingman's Dome to Sugarlands in the Smokies.

sandyrs
03-11-2015, 08:06 AM
The email went out today for the first round of pre orders, including geometry. The largest size would fit me perfectly. I don't even want disc brakes on a road bike, but I'm still having a hard time resisting.

Geo:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By5Vs6cZoiwBTVJqeXlmWlcwSW8/view

Michael Maddox
03-11-2015, 09:13 AM
I had to follow an officials car down Brasstown Bald in 1990 to start a time trial at the base of the mountain. That was my first and only heat-induced tubular separation, and since then, I've been a little worried about it every time I ride tubulars in serious hills. I know this doesn't happen often, but having it happen ONCE is enough.

Granted, I'm a flatlander compared to most of you, and there's probably no real reason to NEED discs, but I'm getting a disc-specced Zanconato for just this reason. There's no point in having that niggling fear in the back of my mind.

christian
03-11-2015, 09:36 AM
I've been swapping emails with Dom. This bike really does seem to have it all thought out when it comes to a rain/winter road bike. 380mm a-c road disk fork... And 2cm increments in sizing rather than 3cm at Kinesis. This thing is a big winner.

sandyrs
03-11-2015, 09:41 AM
I've been swapping emails with Dom. This bike really does seem to have it all thought out when it comes to a rain/winter road bike. 380mm a-c road disk fork... And 2cm increments in sizing rather than 3cm at Kinesis. This thing is a big winner.

If I were starting from scratch I would own this bike. As it stands, to get the same range of use out of my current bikes without excessive overlap, I would need to sell my travel bike and get my steel road bike coupled. The fact that that seems at all sane to me shows just how appealing this bike is.

macaroon
07-08-2015, 06:04 AM
Has anyone bought one yet?!

oldfatslow
07-08-2015, 07:51 AM
I don't want this to come across as a troll as this is a nice bike but the Ultegra Di2 Hydro complete is $5675 in USD (3675 GBP).

Couldn't you get a custom built bike with these features in that same price range? Why small batch when you could custom build?

macaroon
07-08-2015, 09:57 AM
I don't want this to come across as a troll as this is a nice bike but the Ultegra Di2 Hydro complete is $5675 in USD (3675 GBP).

Couldn't you get a custom built bike with these features in that same price range? Why small batch when you could custom build?

I guess they probably want to offer them as complete builds, but you're right; you could build it up cheaper with bits from Ribble etc.