PDA

View Full Version : HI-ho, hi-ho--it's off to shovel snow....

paredown
03-02-2015, 06:25 AM
What craptastic way to start the week--another snowfall that started late yesterday.

Mercifully, only a few inches, but my back/hip only just started to settle down after the last storm...

Coldest February on record here in the Hudson Valley, and the Times said the second coldest in the city (apparently it was worse in 1934, which is hard to imagine).

Will spring ever get here?

guido
03-02-2015, 06:55 AM
We got off easy with two and a half inches of new snow over night.
Four and a half hours of ice dam chopping, roof raking, and ice chipping for me this weekend. Just getting over a nasty chest cold too. And I wonder why I don't have a lot of miles in this month....

mod6
03-02-2015, 08:03 AM
Yes another 6 inches on Long Island. Had plans to hit road today to get some miles in with expected balmy temps. Grrr. At least the skiing has fantastic.

Ti Designs
03-02-2015, 08:08 AM
After the first dozen or so snow flakes fell, my town called a snow emergency and a parking ban. I went for a bike ride...

peanutgallery
03-02-2015, 08:19 AM
Just think, time change is next weekend

Not that it'll mean much but one can always dream

oldpotatoe
03-02-2015, 08:26 AM
This AM

veloduffer
03-02-2015, 10:27 AM
Not too bad in northern NJ, but I tweaked my lower back trying to prevent myself from slipping on an ice patch. Dang! No trainer today….

Ken Robb
03-02-2015, 12:15 PM
We are having winter too. The expected high at the beach is 60F and we have been having very welcome gentle scattered showers for a couple of days. It is always a treat to see our golden hills turn green after just a little rain falls.

saf-t
03-02-2015, 12:18 PM
After the first dozen or so snow flakes fell, my town called a snow emergency and a parking ban. I went for a bike ride...

Yeah- it's been the longest parking ban in history- since the night before Storm #1. Completely ridiculous.

Fatty
03-02-2015, 12:27 PM
To my east coast brothers and sisters who are dealing with unrelenting snow.
I feel your pain. Last year all I did was shovel snow, this year we have more than average snow , but compared to last year it's a real cake of a winter.
I was out this morning with a shovel touching up the driveway and alley throwing a little salt down. You can really feel the heat in the sun. In an odd sort of way, not sure why, I'm going to miss the winter season.

Fatty
03-02-2015, 12:29 PM
We are having winter too. The expected high at the beach is 60F and we have been having very welcome gentle scattered showers for a couple of days. It is always a treat to see our golden hills turn green after just a little rain falls.

Oh and if I was in Cali I think I'd be hoping for more than a little rain.

https://cbssacramento.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/drought-boat.jpg?w=620&h=349&crop=1

soulspinner
03-02-2015, 12:31 PM
Oh and if I was in Cali I think I'd be hoping for more than a little rain.

https://cbssacramento.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/drought-boat.jpg?w=620&h=349&crop=1

We can sell you frozen moisture cheap in bulk.

professerr
03-02-2015, 12:51 PM
I actually like shoveling snow (ducking now), and when I visit relatives in snowy areas I have to sort of hide my eagerness lest they think my mind has gone to mush from too much sun in California.

It is great exercise. I take my time, get in a swinging rhythm moving small loads, and alternate from right handed to left handed.

I suppose the novelty has worn off for some of you guys...

Tandem Rider
03-02-2015, 02:28 PM
I actually like shoveling snow (ducking now), and when I visit relatives in snowy areas I have to sort of hide my eagerness lest they think my mind has gone to mush from too much sun in California.

It is great exercise. I take my time, get in a swinging rhythm moving small loads, and alternate from right handed to left handed.

Yup, novelty wore off about 50 years ago, hasn't been any fun shoveling since.
Hey!! I can tell from here!! Those shovels that haven't fit my hand comfortably since I was a kid fit yours PERFECTLY!!!

I've got about 100' of driveway with another 6" of incoming...;)

p nut
03-02-2015, 03:42 PM
Sigh. Meanwhile, we're at 60% snowpack. Send some to Utah.

Louis
03-02-2015, 03:46 PM
This is my sister's back yard in Maine.

She says that the 4" x 4" post you see on the right side is 8 feet tall. (not sure how much of that is in the ground)

This isn't the drifts, which are even higher.

I asked her a while back if she had 3" of snow and she laughed and sent this.

JAGI410
03-02-2015, 04:01 PM
Here near Fargo there's maybe 2" on the ground with 40's in the 10 day forecast, it's damn near spring already. At least there won't be a flood this year!

572cv
03-02-2015, 04:08 PM
Yesterday was March 1, a sturdy south east wind was blowing and the temp was about 25°F. But the roads were dry, except where the snow was drifting, so I put on everything I could and went out for a ride. It was awesome, and I did eventually thaw.

Mostly, my workouts have involved moments like this. Top of the hill in the conservation land behind my place.

Uncle Jam's Army
03-02-2015, 04:14 PM
Well, not exactly snow, but a blanket of hail in Huntington Beach, CA today:

Louis
03-02-2015, 04:19 PM
Well, not exactly snow, but a blanket of hail in Huntington Beach, CA today:

Wow! How big were the individual bits? Hail can do a lot of damage.

54ny77
03-02-2015, 04:26 PM
speaking of snow......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKP7jQknGjs

:eek:

Uncle Jam's Army
03-02-2015, 04:27 PM
^ Small bits.

54ny77
03-02-2015, 04:34 PM
UJA is that pic for real?

Uncle Jam's Army
03-02-2015, 04:36 PM
Yup, published in the Los Angeles Times. From this morning.

bikerboy337
03-02-2015, 04:39 PM
It was crazy, my parents live in HB and sent photos this morning. They've been making fun of us in RI for months now as its been 60-70 every day for them... first time i've heard of hail in HB and family has been there for close to 20 years...

Tandem Rider
03-02-2015, 04:43 PM
Yesterday was March 1, a sturdy south east wind was blowing and the temp was about 25°F. But the roads were dry, except where the snow was drifting, so I put on everything I could and went out for a ride. It was awesome, and I did eventually thaw.

Mostly, my workouts have involved moments like this. Top of the hill in the conservation land behind my place.

Hey!! It says you're in Vermont, but that looks almost tree for tree like my back yard at dusk, including the snow and conservation land! :):)

It's clear enough at the base of the hills along the river to Nordic Ski, how about where you are?

572cv
03-02-2015, 05:33 PM
The area is approached through some fields, and the woods are laced with old logging roads. There's a wonderful beaver swamp behind it all. This is NW Vermont near Burlington. The climb up that hill might be 200 ft. Makes for a fun ski down!

Peter P.
03-02-2015, 06:50 PM
Those of us in the snow-prone areas run the risk of bulking up our upper bodies due to too much snow shoveling.

This can jeopardize your on-bike performance come spring.

I urge you to have a significant other do the shoveling instead.

Tandem Rider
03-02-2015, 07:14 PM
Those of us in the snow-prone areas run the risk of bulking up our upper bodies due to too much snow shoveling.

This can jeopardize your on-bike performance come spring.

I urge you to have a significant other do the shoveling instead.

That would lead to RDAM syndrome. (recently divorced angry master). I do have a 19 yo shoveling machine that rarely works, might need some adjustment.

Ken Robb
03-02-2015, 08:52 PM
That would lead to RDAM syndrome. (recently divorced angry master). I do have a 19 yo shoveling machine that rarely works, might need some adjustment.

It could be a kick-starter? :banana:

carpediemracing
03-03-2015, 12:02 AM

It's definitely meditative, it's like riding a bike. It's like sweeping a road - in the early days I used to sweep the Bethel course with a broom for hours, some weeks I would sweep 2/3 of the course myself.

For me my back went out a while ago and for 3? years in a row I had back problems shoveling. The Missus made me get a snow thrower last year and no back problems. Yay!

I miss being able to shovel, meaning the ability to do that kind of work. Now I have to be really careful doing more than a scoop or two of snow.

Tandem Rider
03-03-2015, 05:28 AM
It could be a kick-starter? :banana:

HAHAHAHA!

I see you have experience with this issue, that would have been Dad's response too.:cool:

I'm trying to, at Mrs TR's behest, a kinder and gentler approach, maybe leave his next meal at the end of the drive??;)

paredown
03-03-2015, 06:17 AM
It's definitely meditative, it's like riding a bike. It's like sweeping a road - in the early days I used to sweep the Bethel course with a broom for hours, some weeks I would sweep 2/3 of the course myself.

For me my back went out a while ago and for 3? years in a row I had back problems shoveling. The Missus made me get a snow thrower last year and no back problems. Yay!

I miss being able to shovel, meaning the ability to do that kind of work. Now I have to be really careful doing more than a scoop or two of snow.

Actually. I cheered up once I got outside, and I agree--it is meditative work where you can let your mind wander...

I've had to do lots of painting/clear finishing lately, and on a good day I can let the brush go and think about other stuff. (Probably not just the fumes...:))

The back thing does suck--and I feel your pain. Mine is mostly OK but I have hurt it a couple of times in the past, so I have to be careful, and really work at stretches/relaxation once I'm finished doing something strenuous.