PDA

View Full Version : Speedpay X

rounder
03-01-2015, 07:04 PM
Speedplay X, is anyone still riding them. I have them on three bikes. I like the fact that they are basic and there is float. Maybe too much? I have never had problems with them...but know that they may be sloppy and that others are riding Zeros where you can dial in the float,

I used to ride Times and have still have Classiques on one bike.

Thoughts?

AngryScientist
03-01-2015, 07:06 PM
Thoughts?

my thoughts are that i hate speedplay pedals, or the cleats specifically. that said though, if you have a pedal system, or a saddle, or a geometry that works for you, without problems, stick with it. why change if there is nothing wrong?

djg21
03-01-2015, 07:09 PM
I find that the cleats for Zeros don't wear as quickly. The retention clips on the zeros, which are round, developed flat spots on the outer edges and got sloppy. The clips on Zeros are flat.

I do limit my float so that my heels cannot hit the chainstays and so it only takes a couple of degrees to the outside to click out. I don't like a lot of float.

Lanternrouge
03-01-2015, 07:09 PM
I rode the X series for a really, really long time until I switched to Zeros about two years ago. If the X series is working for you, I would probably just stick with it.

makoti
03-01-2015, 07:29 PM
I still ride the X. On all my bikes. I really like them, but am having problems with the cleat staying tight on my new Sidi's. Never had that before & always been speedplay/sidi.

SPOKE
03-01-2015, 07:30 PM
I'm a fan of X series pedals. Have them on nearly all my bikes. The exceptions are my mountain bike and my fat bike. It took me nearly 18 months to get used to them (really develop confidence that I wouldn't pull out of them during a sprint). I see no need to change at all. I'm ok with cleat life since I do use cleat covers when off the bike. Even a cleat replacement once/twice a year is fine with me. Cleats are wear items & the pedals can be rebuilt. As long as i grease the pedals every 3000 miles there is rarely a need to do much else.

SPOKE
03-01-2015, 07:32 PM
I still ride the X. On all my bikes. I really like them, but am having problems with the cleat staying tight on my new Sidi's. Never had that before & always been speedplay/sidi.

The cleat base plate must always sit flat. Use the shims provided to make sure the base is flat and well supported.

93legendti
03-01-2015, 07:44 PM
I like them and use them on all of my bikes.

makoti
03-01-2015, 07:48 PM
The cleat base plate must always sit flat. Use the shims provided to make sure the base is flat and well supported.

I've done this & taken them into my shop. They agree they are about as flat as I could hope for. And, it's only the left. The right stays just fine. And on a related note, on these shoes they are a bear to get into sometimes.

berserk87
03-01-2015, 08:29 PM
I've ridden X-series pedals since the late '90's and they work for me. There are things that I don't like about them in terms of cleat issues and bearing lubrication but performance-wise they are the best choice for my needs.

Elefantino
03-02-2015, 12:05 AM
www.keeponkovers.com

SPOKE
03-02-2015, 06:44 AM
I've done this & taken them into my shop. They agree they are about as flat as I could hope for. And, it's only the left. The right stays just fine. And on a related note, on these shoes they are a bear to get into sometimes.

The only other areas to consider is the cleat screws and/or the threaded piece in the sole of the shoes. The Speedplay screws have ridges on the underside of the screw head that help the screw stay locked (think lock washer).
The threaded insert in the shoe may have damaged threads so take a look for that. Or the threaded holes in the cleat base plate may be damaged/cross threaded.

oldpotatoe
03-02-2015, 06:57 AM
Speedplay X, is anyone still riding them. I have them on three bikes. I like the fact that they are basic and there is float. Maybe too much? I have never had problems with them...but know that they may be sloppy and that others are riding Zeros where you can dial in the float,

I used to ride Times and have still have Classiques on one bike.

Thoughts?

With X series, there was no middle ground. Some liked the unlimited, 'like walking on ice' feel, or they hated it. I tried X series in early 90s, didn't like it at all. SO enter Zero. Adjustable float but more resistance when the foot moves back and forth. Not the lack of 'resistance' of X series.

As soon as Zero introduced, X series sales declined dramatically while Zero sales set records.

I think SP Zero has real advantages for me. I came from a LOOK/Campag(LOOK)/Campag ProFit background. Tried Zero on my fixie(2 sided) and soon swapped all 3 bikes to zero.

Easy to maintain, 2 sided, metal bottom of cleat(not plastic), ability to buy one pedal, longer , axle lengths available and adjustable float, along with adjustable orientation. I have mine adjusted with maybe 1-2 degrees of float, with toes pointed a wee bit inward..my feet/knees/ankles/hips-HAPPY.

Yes, yes, don't walk in these or any pedal..and some get sweated up about Byrne(sp?) trying to protect his brand but I like 'em cuz it's a good company, IMHO and their pedals work great for me.

YMMV, with anything. If ya don't like the pedals or the company..don't buy the pedals.

christian
03-02-2015, 07:14 AM
I rode X/2s for years and liked them. Switched to SPD-SLs when 105 Pedals and cleats were cheaper than new X series cleats. I liked X series pedals and loved the easy release, but I would not revert from SPD-SL.

Mark McM
03-02-2015, 10:04 AM
As soon as Zero introduced, X series sales declined dramatically while Zero sales set records.

Its worthwhile to point out here that Speedplay almost never obsoletes their products. Despite their wider appeal and larger sales, the Zero pedals did not replace their X series pedals - the original product is still available*.

The same is true for their new aero pedals and walkable cleats. They will still be forward and reverse compatible with their existing pedals/cleats.

* The one notable exception is Speedplay's original MTB pedal, the Magnum. The Magnum had some serious deficiencies, so it was soon replaced with the Frog. However, Magnum customers were not totally abandoned, as Speedplay produced a kit that allowed a user to convert their Magnum pedals into Frogs, at a far lower cost than completely replacing the pedals.

oldpotatoe
03-02-2015, 01:13 PM
I rode X/2s for years and liked them. Switched to SPD-SLs when 105 Pedals and cleats were cheaper than new X series cleats. I liked X series pedals and loved the easy release, but I would not revert from SPD-SL.

Wow, $40 105 pedals...good score.

Ruimteaapje
03-02-2015, 02:47 PM
After using Look PP-something and Time Atac carbon-ti pedals in the past, I switched to a set of Zero Crmo pedals, then to X2 stainless. No issues, lovely pedal. I have X2 on all my bikes now and intend to keep using them.

jmoore
03-02-2015, 02:55 PM
I have been using X-series since 2001. I have them on three bikes and still going. Never a problem or weird feeling. No reason to switch.

rgr111
03-02-2015, 07:00 PM
I have been riding Speedplays for years too and have many, many, many thousands of worry-free miles on my various sets. Mostly on Zeros now, but still have a set of X mounted. The head scratcher for me is the Zero Pave -- does the plastic part of the regular Zeroes really weigh that much? I'm just not that hardcore.

rounder
03-02-2015, 07:14 PM
Thanks all. Good info.

One of my bikes has a pair of X2s from the mid-90s that is still going strong. My knees feel fine, I guess no reason to change.