PDA

View Full Version : MXL 25th Anniv Tire Size

campy man
03-01-2015, 03:35 PM
I'm sure the topic has been covered a bunch of times but I'm unable to find anything.

Trying to determine the max tire size of the MXL 25th Anniv. re-issue. I have read many talk about the original MXLs brake bridge being too low and limiting tire size.

Did EM adjust the rear brake bridge on the MXL 25th Anniv. re-issues frames? Will a Open Pave CG 27mm fit in the frame & fork?

merckx
03-01-2015, 03:47 PM
I'm sure the topic has been covered a bunch of times but I'm unable to find anything.

Trying to determine the max tire size of the MXL 25th Anniv. re-issue. I have read many talk about the original MXLs brake bridge being too low and limiting tire size.

Did EM adjust the rear brake bridge on the MXL 25th Anniv. re-issues frames? Will a Open Pave CG 27mm fit in the frame & fork?

I had a re-issue and a pave 27 fit fine. Also, I was able to shoe-horn 28c knobby cross tires in mine for an edition of D2R2.

lhuerta
03-02-2015, 01:09 AM
...steel bikes are not made in molds (like most carbon frames) and the drilling for brake center bolts on fork crowns, height of the fork crown, and height of rear brake bridge varies widely. I have owned six Merckx frames, several of the same model, and have had some with high clearance under the fork crown and others with low clearance, and the same for the rear brake bridge. The only way to know whether the tire you want to use fits is to try it. Not to mention, that tires vary widely in width and more importantly height...e.g. Continentals have the tallest profile of any tire I have ever used.

witcombusa
03-02-2015, 04:34 AM
...steel bikes are not made in molds (like most carbon frames) and the drilling for brake center bolts on fork crowns, height of the fork crown, and height of rear brake bridge varies widely. I have owned six Merckx frames, several of the same model, and have had some with high clearance under the fork crown and others with low clearance, and the same for the rear brake bridge. The only way to know whether the tire you want to use fits is to try it. Not to mention, that tires vary widely in width and more importantly height...e.g. Continentals have the tallest profile of any tire I have ever used.

Well, for a production frame like the MXL, both ends should be done using a jig. So within a run, no difference should be observed. Should be basic QC in a factory.

lhuerta
03-02-2015, 09:40 AM
Well, for a production frame like the MXL, both ends should be done using a jig. So within a run, no difference should be observed. Should be basic QC in a factory.

True, a jig is used for setting the main tubes but likely not for setting where the rear brake bridge is welded or where the fork crown is drilled