PDA

View Full Version : George's Palmares

Dr. Doofus
04-09-2006, 10:43 AM
vote!

taz-t
04-09-2006, 10:47 AM
You left out 'Carrying Lance's Luggage'....

- taz

learlove
04-09-2006, 10:49 AM
I'd have to say the 2007 tour stage, but I'd much rather it be the 07 rubix or another future classic or worlds.

shaq-d
04-09-2006, 10:51 AM
in the 2 yrs i've been watch'n/catching-up with cycling, i haven't been impressed once..

sd

Bill Bove
04-09-2006, 10:59 AM
He'll be remembered?

rePhil
04-09-2006, 11:13 AM
I would have liked to see him win. With all this trash talk, who here on the forum can match his palmares? Who in the US? Who in the World?
I hope he has the good financial sense to plan for his retirement.

e-RICHIE
04-09-2006, 11:19 AM
the stowe road race back when it
was 2 laps and finished up at trapp's.

ergott
04-09-2006, 11:20 AM
Winning the TdF 2006!!

taz-t
04-09-2006, 11:49 AM
I would have liked to see him win. With all this trash talk, who here on the forum can match his palmares? Who in the US? Who in the World?

I would have liked to see him win too... really. But there's a lot of attention that goes to George and overlooks better racers. Why? Probably because he's American and furthermore, closely associated with Armstrong.

With the attention, comes expectations and what you call 'trash talk' is merely pointing out that those expectations haven't been met. It's not like I said he kicks his dog, etc...

Do I have to match his 'palmares' to have an opinion? Do I have to hit 700 home runs to say B.Bonds is juiced??

ATMO, George will be remembered as Armstrong's Tour lieutenant and for not quite winning P-R, until an American does step up and win P-R and George won't be remember at all... Because us 'Mericans have an attention span of like...3 minutes, ya know.

- taz

rePhil
04-09-2006, 12:12 PM
taz-t, I wasn't slamming, or singling YOU out...or anyone else. You make some great points, and I agree with you. Opinions are one of the things I really enjoy about this forum. I agree GH has not met expectations, but I wonder how he regards himself. Will he have regrets about today?

Wayne77
04-09-2006, 12:39 PM
As always, SPOILERS are much appreciated. Thanks.

Dr. Doofus
04-09-2006, 12:42 PM
As always, SPOILERS are much appreciated. Thanks.

the results of today's race are not mentioned in the original post

Wayne77
04-09-2006, 12:47 PM
the results of today's race are not mentioned in the original post

Sorry, wasn't intending to single you out, rather the other folks in this thread kind enough to let us know of George's demise..

taz-t
04-09-2006, 01:19 PM
Sorry, wasn't intending to single you out, rather the other folks in this thread kind enough to let us know of George's demise..

My bad... although you had to consider that today's race might be mentioned based on the topic.

- taz

taz-t
04-09-2006, 01:30 PM
taz-t, I wasn't slamming, or singling YOU out...or anyone else. You make some great points, and I agree with you. Opinions are one of the things I really enjoy about this forum. I agree GH has not met expectations, but I wonder how he regards himself. Will he have regrets about today?

Hey, it's all good. should have added a couple of :beer:

I have a lot of respect for all these guys - but I don't put them on a pedestal either.

George shouldn't have any regrets today - a mechanical is part of racing (unless he caused it himself... "And yesterday on the reconnaissance, they rode for three hours on the cobble sections. Actually, we were stopped on the side of the road watching the team go by, all seven riders, and as George went by, he said: 'I'm hitting every hole, I'm trying to break them'; he was actually trying to tear them up!").

- taz

stevep
04-09-2006, 03:09 PM
chasing down another young american rider who was away with 10k to go at the jr worlds in 1990 and briinging up the field with him... only to have said rider ( erich kaiter ) beat him in the sprint....for 8th
teamwork?
too bad.

e-RICHIE
04-09-2006, 03:10 PM
chasing down another young american rider who was away with 10k to go at the jr worlds in 1990 and briinging up the field with him... only to have said rider ( erich kaiter ) beat him in the sprint....for 8th
teamwork?
too bad.

kaiter was the man.

jerk
04-09-2006, 03:15 PM
for having a gigantic chin, gigantic feet and many other features resulting from his initials.

jerk

manet
04-09-2006, 04:04 PM
for having a gigantic chin, gigantic feet and many other features resulting from his initials.

jerk

please to note the chin and eyebrows. the feet were quite problematic so a beaver's fantasy was employed to provide cover:

http://www.steveniles.com/gallery/albums/bigfoot/bigfoot01_001.jpg

Wayne77
04-09-2006, 04:41 PM
My bad... although you had to consider that today's race might be mentioned based on the topic.

- taz

No worries. What a race!! :beer:

BumbleBeeDave
04-09-2006, 06:50 PM
. . . never wins another race, he has had a great career and I'm certain has done his very best to do the best he can for his team and for himself. He has my admiration and support every time he races.

He also has my sympathy today. I can imagine few scarier "Oh, SH*T!!!" moments than having your handlebars come off in your hand and frantically trying to unicycle out of the way before 50 other riders ride over you and rip you a new butt crack . . . :eek:

BBD

e-RICHIE
04-09-2006, 07:01 PM
I can imagine few scarier "Oh, SH*T!!!" moments than having your handlebars come off in your hand...

that happened to me with a cnc-ed al stem
and it was my own personal jesus moment,
and i'm a yeshiva graduate iirc.

jerk
04-09-2006, 07:21 PM
that happened to me with a cnc-ed al stem
and it was my own personal jesus moment,
and i'm a yeshiva graduate iirc.

that happened to the jerk with a cinelli quill stem at a race in zeebrugge and there was no depeche mode moments at all. just a broken collarbone.

and the jerk is a ccd graduate; AND loves new wave.

jerk

Bill Bove
04-09-2006, 08:55 PM
That happened in front of me at the FT. Devens training crit. I only wear black shorts for a reason.

Lifelover
04-09-2006, 11:28 PM
in the 2 yrs i've been watch'n/catching-up with cycling, i haven't been impressed once..

sd

You must set pretty high standards! I would assume those standards have placed you among the current elite in your field like GH is in his?

Tom
04-10-2006, 07:11 AM
He sure knows how to fall off a bike at speed on cobbles with no steering or brakes. I can't believe he got away with that without breaking his neck. That's some skill.

Kevan
04-10-2006, 08:27 AM
lieutenant.

Not sure whether that was a "controlled" crash, but it was impressive handling of the situation all considered.

BumbleBeeDave
04-10-2006, 10:19 AM
. . . the skill aspect in his crash. If it happened to me I probably would have just closed my eyes and started praying. :eek:

BBD

e-RICHIE
04-10-2006, 10:24 AM
. . . the skill aspect in his crash. If it happened to me I probably would have just closed my eyes and started praying. :eek:

BBD

no you wouldn't.
instinct takes over.

manet
04-10-2006, 10:26 AM
no you wouldn't.
instinct takes over.

in his case _ maybe just stinct(k)

manet
04-10-2006, 10:27 AM
i'm sorry _ did i just say
that out loud?

learlove
04-10-2006, 11:06 AM
teamwork?
too bad.

Key word(s) here: Junior Worlds.

And your telling me you did everything perfect when you were 17 or 18???

Cut George a break. He's a class act when it comes down to it. Here's to P-R in 2007 for George.

Tom
04-10-2006, 03:04 PM
It turns out I was wrong, Hincapie broke a bone in his shoulder in the fall. Whatever he eats in his Wheaties, it still is a bummer for the guy.

I'm just glad I ain't the guy that QC'ed that fork.

Kevan
04-10-2006, 03:23 PM
these bikes should be melted down after the event.

JohnS
04-10-2006, 03:31 PM
No, he invested his money in a bike clothes company! :banana: :banana:

stevep
04-10-2006, 04:48 PM
Key word(s) here: Junior Worlds.

And your telling me you did everything perfect when you were 17 or 18???

Cut George a break. He's a class act when it comes down to it. Here's to P-R in 2007 for George.

life is imperfect. was my only personal connection to george... and it stays with me.
i will say, however, that he has basicly given his entire career over to lance and hope that he can bring something home himself to remember his career with...and not a lot more bad break and missed opportunities and " great legs but my teammate screwed me..."
needs to think on his feet more.
pull out the radio and think on the bike.
all the postal / disco guys were so regimented and so commanded that they they lost the feel of racing when the robot was racing.... they never allowed for anything free lance ( so to speak )

BumbleBeeDave
04-10-2006, 04:55 PM
<<all the postal / disco guys were so regimented and so commanded that they they lost the feel of racing . . . >>

Not at all surprising, though. It also seems that team management are not doing themselves any favors if this is the best they can do to try and support a new team leader, since that's the impression they have clearly given that they want George to be one of those leaders.

It seems obvious to me from what I've seen so far that Hoste and Gusev were not supporting their "leader" at Flanders and this past weekend at PR. And that has nothing to do with George--it could happen with whoever they had tabbed as their "leader."

We've already seen what that kind of stuff did to T-Mobile, with Vino and Kloden heading off on their own. IMHO, Discovery risks being in that same boat unless somebody in managment lays down the law a bit more strongly. Are they going to let this same thing happen at the Tour? . . .

BBD

e-RICHIE
04-10-2006, 05:01 PM
pull out the radio and think on the bike.

snipped post of the message board since kahuna started it atmo.

BumbleBeeDave
04-10-2006, 05:06 PM
Type louder, Richie . . . I couldn't hear you! ;) ;)

BBD

e-RICHIE
04-10-2006, 05:16 PM
Type louder, Richie . . . I couldn't hear you! ;) ;)

BBD

hey - bo knows baseball
but pucci knows bikes!

Grant McLean
04-10-2006, 05:52 PM
hey - bo knows baseball
but pucci knows bikes!

Gut feeling the winning way at CSC

By Hedwig Kroner in Roubaix

Team CSC's directeur sportif Scott Sunderland was over the moon on the
Roubaix velodrome lawn oval as his protege, Fabian Cancellara, received
his pavé stone on the podium...

Looking back on the race, he explained that racing instinct had been an
important factor for Cancellara's win.

...Sunderland would have preferred Cancellara to attack at sector 4
(Carrefour de l'Arbre) instead of sector 5, but trusted his rider's instincts.
"He's got a great feeling for the race," Sunderland continued. " You feel it
as a rider, too, you can't always do as your DS tells you - you have to
follow your gut feeling. "

Of course if he was caught....the story would be different.

-g

stevep
04-10-2006, 05:58 PM
hey, if he was caught... he could have said..." they told me to go on the radio...."
hard to displace the radios now but with them these big team riders become ( more ) idiots than they started out as...( its english probably )

e-RICHIE
04-10-2006, 06:04 PM
hey, if he was caught... he could have said..." they told me to go on the radio...."
hard to displace the radios now but with them these big team riders become ( more ) idiots than they started out as...( its english probably )
video killed the radio star
radio killed the thinking bike racer

stevep
04-10-2006, 06:11 PM
It seems obvious to me from what I've seen so far that Hoste and Gusev were not supporting their "leader" at Flanders and this past weekend at PR. And that has nothing to do with George--it could happen with whoever they had tabbed as their "leader."

gusev was racing his *** off and was on the train to the velodrome until he could not stay there...he was down, he was back, he was in front...george is taking short pulls and waiting for the radio to tell him the time is right... i forget the time line where gh biffed... but he holds his gun too long, he waits until the time is right, and is victimized by not taking a shot, yet.
he is doomed to always be up there and have great legs but until he throws it down with 50k to go he wont be a champion at this.