PDA

View Full Version : Multi Use Trails....

Red Tornado
02-27-2015, 01:21 PM
A few comments from the SF trail thread got me thinking about the trails I ride. I guess they are all technically "multi use" but the terrain/elevation/distance from parking keeps all but the serious hikers off them except for one called the River Trail. Its the primary vein from the largest parking area into the trail system and especially on weekend heavily used by hikers,runners & the occaisional horse riders (I'm in central Texas).
I have absolutely no problem sharing this stretch with whoever is there and always ride at an appropriate speed, announce my presence in a calm manner prior to overtaking, say "Hi" to families & anything else I can do to portray MTB riders in a positive light. My one pet peeve are the runners (and sometimes walkers) who insist on occupying the middle of the trail and have the earbuds/headphones cranked. Lost count of how many times I could hear their music from 10-15 feet away and they did not hear me announcing my presence.
Actually passed a guy like this once; went by slowly and as far to the side as I could. Got about 20'ish feet away and he yells "Could have told me you were back there". When I responded telling him I did, he had to take one earbud out to hear what I was saying - I had stopped and by that time we were almost face to face.
I always try to treat others as I would like to be treated on multi-use but sadly there are many people on foot out there who don't return the favor. Usually just pass as safely as possible, SMH and keep riding.

MattTuck
02-27-2015, 01:33 PM
I hit a guy on a multi-use path once. I was riding along the path with the Charles River to my left, and the guy was walking on the right side of the path. (walking away from me, so he didn't see me coming).

I tried to pass him to his left, just as he decided to go left across the path to view the river. Whoops... I learned my lesson.

Lesson is, multi-use paths are really not for the kind of 'cycling' that most of us do. anytime there are other people or animals present, you should be riding at about jogging pace or slower, and expecting all the other users to jump out at you or get in your way at the last minute.

If it is an empty trail, then go hog wild if that's your thing, but realize that their purpose is not a highway for bicycles.

Dave Ferris
02-27-2015, 03:20 PM
:eek: :mad:

I'm primarily a runner who spends a great deal of time on the trails. Been at it for 36 years and I've run in the neighborhood of 65,000 miles. I have never once worn headphones or earbuds during a run.
About a month ago I was in the Santa Monicas coming out of Trippett Ranch headed to the Palisades Overlook on my Potts 29er. I was coming off a short steep hill around a corner and I could see a younger (I'm 61 so everyone these days seems young :) ) female runner about 100 yards out from the bottom of this hill running with her back to me.

I didn't brake going down the hill so I was coming up on her pretty fast. About maybe 30 yards out from her , I slowed and gave the standard "on your left"....no reaction. I slowed even more at 15 yards when I noticed she had ear buds in. So again I repeated my warning....and again, not so much as a glance, hand or head wave acknowledgment.

So slowed down to maybe 8 mph , didn't really have to as it was a fairly wide fireroad. I had plenty of room to just go around her but I didn't want to startle her. Running out there, I've been buzzed so many times myself and it pisses you off. So just out of courtesy I gave it one more shot as I was coming up behind her..."I'm on your left comin' by ".

She looks at me while I'm passing and screams..." I heard you already a hundred times " !! I just smiled and said..."I wouldn't know, you have buds in, I was just trying to be safe".

It's definitely an *I don't get it* in regards to listening to music while working out. I'm a Pro Musician myself and the last thing I want to hear, especially in a place as beautiful as the Santa Monicas , is music.

There's plenty of natural stimulation already going on. ;)