PDA

View Full Version : Cold Weather Solidarity - Share your workouts

MattTuck
02-27-2015, 11:16 AM
Another day of starting the car and seeing below freezing temperatures. The news keeps saying that we're (those of us in NH, but probably other places as well) on track to become either the coldest or second coldest February on record.

Omloop is tomorrow, so I'll probably be riding the trainer, trying to watch that in the morning.

What are your planned workouts for today and the upcoming weekend? Since, god knows I'm not riding outside. I'm also seriously thinking about buying a wood box to do step ups and box jumps.

Today: Gym Session

5x5 Squats
5x5 Overhead press
5x5 Dead lifts
2x10 split squats
3x10 glute/ham raises (on my spiffy new home made glute/ham developer)
2 sets of 5x30 sec unilateral hip bridges
one sided farmer's carry, 40 lb dumbell, 100 yards each side.
2x30 sec planks (front, left and right)
2x30 second planks with unilateral glute activation

Tomorrow: Low intensity riding during Omloop and possibly snow shoeing in afternoon.

Sunday: High Intensity intervals (4x8 minutes)

kramnnim
02-27-2015, 11:56 AM
Forecast for tomorrow is mid 20s heating up to 33. Not sure I want to ride in that, so it might be another 5 hour trainer session. Neither sounds appealing...

AngryScientist
02-27-2015, 11:58 AM
wait, people do 5 hour trainer sessions?

that, quite literally; sounds insane.

guido
02-27-2015, 12:01 PM
To add insult to the lovely weather, I've had a really nasty chest cold for the past week so i have been doing nap intervals between sessions of dragging my sorry butt to work. More roof work is scheduled for the weekend as we are due for more snow and then rain and then more snow tuesday night. Oh what fun!

MattTuck
02-27-2015, 12:03 PM

Based on Mark's strava feed, I get the feeling that 60 miles is a warm up.

makoti
02-27-2015, 12:34 PM
Forecast for tomorrow is mid 20s heating up to 33. Not sure I want to ride in that, so it might be another 5 hour trainer session. Neither sounds appealing...

5 hours?! I once did two. I thought my head & butt were going to explode.

MattTuck
02-27-2015, 12:37 PM
To add insult to the lovely weather, I've had a really nasty chest cold for the past week so i have been doing nap intervals between sessions of dragging my sorry butt to work. More roof work is scheduled for the weekend as we are due for more snow and then rain and then more snow tuesday night. Oh what fun!

I've been down to shovel off two roofs already this winter. My parents in Groton, MA and my girlfriend's mom in Braintree. I feel for you!

snah
02-27-2015, 01:09 PM
Lately, I wouldn't know what to do with a ride in 30+ degrees. Seems like everything I've gotten here the past 3 weeks has been in the teens to low
20's. I've been amazed how well plastic bags help keep the hands warm.

thwart
02-27-2015, 01:15 PM
Nice warm day here. Wind chill got up to zero F. :help:

Rollers and a bit of yoga are it through the next week, at least according to the forecast.

malcolm
02-27-2015, 01:27 PM

Angry a good friend trained for a whole iron man and the first time he rode outside for the year was at the event and he's fast.

Likes2ridefar
02-27-2015, 01:28 PM

i know a guy that did 6 hours last winter.

shovelhd
02-27-2015, 01:29 PM
This is my first rest week during base 2. This afternoon is a short set of over unders. It will be challenging because I have a head cold. Tomorrow is two hours of big gear work and tempo. It's possible I could do that outside but the roads are still iffy. Sunday is gym day. I have a set routine that doesn't change. Warmup on the stationary bike. Dumbbell step ups. Dumbbell lunges. Three plank variants. Medicine ball incline bench crunches. Seated leg press. Adductor press. Hamstring curl. Calf raise. Back extension. Tricep curl. Bicep curl. Lat pull down.

Likes2ridefar
02-27-2015, 01:29 PM
I'm going to run 7 miles tomorrow and do 100 pushups and situps each day. other than that I will be doing fun flux calculus problems in preparation for an exam Sunday and Tuesday.

dustyrider
02-27-2015, 01:30 PM
I've been doing more running lately since our false spring ended last weekend. But year round cycling where I live is why I live where I do. 18 years in NE was more than enough for me!

berserk87
02-27-2015, 03:16 PM
Lately, I wouldn't know what to do with a ride in 30+ degrees. Seems like everything I've gotten here the past 3 weeks has been in the teens to low
20's. I've been amazed how well plastic bags help keep the hands warm.

I'm in Plainfield and have been dealing with the same.

If the roads are complicated with snow & ice I use the MTB with studded tires.

This week they have not been bad and I got out for road rides today and Wed. Wed was nice as it was sunny and around 32 or 33. Today was sunny but chillier.

I couldn't get a reading on the temps today - saw one source that said 5, another said 15, and another said 21. Never seen anything like it. My guess is that it was in the mid teens.

tigoat
02-27-2015, 03:19 PM

I am with you there. 5 hours of riding outside would be a piece of cake for me but 5 hours on the trainer inside, I have to see it to believe it.

oddsaabs
02-27-2015, 04:16 PM
What are your planned workouts for today and the upcoming weekend?

I'll share a go to 1 hour trainer session for those days when I've lost motivation for riding indoors. It requires having a computer screen in front of you and a watch.

Go here: http://youtu.be/_n76pvZ29Ac and fast fwd to the 25:00 minute mark. Then pause and mute.

Go here: http://www.djsteveboy.com/160-180topfive.html and hit play.

Start warming up. When Steve is done talking and the music starts, match the tempo (80 rpm) and hit play on the video. Ride easy for the first 3 minutes, moderate for the middle 3 minutes, hard for the next 3 minutes, then 1 minute of high intensity.

After 10 minutes the beat increases 5 bpm (2.5 rpm). Return to the same 3 minutes easy, 3 minutes moderate, 3 minutes hard, 1 minute high pattern.

Repeat till the music stops and the race finishes. I won't tell you who wins, but it's a beauty of a finish. Total time just about 1 hour with warm-up and cool down.

dcama5
02-27-2015, 05:33 PM
Seven days per week in the gym unless I ride. It's been productive - lost 12 lbs, down to what I consider a perfect weight for starting a season and waiting for spring! C'mon warm weather!

dcama5
02-27-2015, 05:34 PM
I am with you there. 5 hours of riding outside would be a piece of cake for me but 5 hours on the trainer inside, I have to see it to believe it.

Five hours riding outside is never a "piece of cake" for me. Five hours on a trainer would require some sort of drug!

velomonkey
02-27-2015, 05:57 PM
My record is 50 miles on the rollers - which are under 3" much like riding the road. That was once.

This sucks. No, really, this sucks. Did I say this sucks? There is hardly room for 2 cars to pass, much less 2 cars and someone on a bike. People are pissed, too. Never mind when it finally is above freezing, um, which is like NEVER, there is so much water in the road being reflected back from the sun no one can see a thing. Never-mind we have a ton of snow left and this is gonna take forever. This blows.

I'm doing the rollers and 6 hours a week is killing me "HR too high!!!!" "Power too low" - "there just right keep it there" - "oh, man, balls are falling asleep."

I should have just hit the weights.

shovelhd
02-27-2015, 06:06 PM
This sucks. No, really, this sucks. Did I say this sucks? There is hardly room for 2 cars to pass, much less 2 cars and someone on a bike. People are pissed, too. Never mind when it finally is above freezing, um, which is like NEVER, there is so much water in the road being reflected back from the sun no one can see a thing. Never-mind we have a ton of snow left and this is gonna take forever. This blows.

This is exactly what it's like out here. Those that live in this part of the country that don't understand why I'm not riding outside more, they must have a much higher risk tolerance than me. I'm a hell of a lot safer doing a sandy crit than riding outside on these roads right now. Drivers have zero tolerance for us.

This is a rest week during base for me, but I still mix in some short intensity. I did over-unders today and knocked it out of the park. You know it's going to be a good day on the trainer when you warm up in one gear higher than normal and it feels easier than normal. I gotta stay healthy and out of trouble this season. So far it looks like it's going to be good.

velomonkey
02-27-2015, 06:15 PM
This is exactly what it's like out here. Those that live in this part of the country that don't understand why I'm not riding outside more.. . . .

Preach, brother. Preach.

The whole "enjoy it" makes we want to punch someone. I love this part of the country for bike riding most of the time - it's Belgium in America - but this is stupid.

shovelhd
02-27-2015, 06:24 PM
Preach, brother. Preach.

The whole "enjoy it" makes we want to punch someone. I love this part of the country for bike riding most of the time - it's Belgium in America - but this is stupid.

The potholes are just starting to show up, too. I'm not riding through flooded potholes.

BobbyJones
02-27-2015, 06:46 PM
A disclaimer: I've personally only gone up to 3-ish hours on the trainer but I can see how a structured work out can make time fly. That and a few good movies.

I found that programming workouts in my Garmin was a huge help so all you have to do is respond to audio cues. (beeps). 20 minute blocks were about my limit so I'd do something like this:

20 min Warmup (varied cadence and gearing)
3 min light tempo, 7 minutes "recovery" x 5

Congrats. You just killed an hour and ten minutes. Not complicated and varied enough to break up the time. Repeat a few and before you know it its dinner time.

In other news, this is / was an awesome year for X-country skiing for most of New England. When life hands you lemons....

velomonkey
02-27-2015, 06:50 PM
The potholes are just starting to show up, too. I'm not riding through flooded potholes.

The potholes are soooooooo bad, I mean, like epic bad. Our roads have been torn up and when it gets warm you better descend slow(er) cause there are some hime frost heaves where there the dip is really, really big.

I, for one, will send people home or to the back that show up without fenders on the group ride.

oliver1850
02-27-2015, 06:51 PM
I managed 34 miles on the road during a light snow on Wednesday, but a couple of fingers are still numb from the experience. It was -11 here this morning...

I see 41 for a high with snow on Tuesday, so if it's not too windy it might be a good day for a MTB ride during the afternoon - before it drops off to single digits again that night. Otherwise, I'm just lifting beer cans.

Dead Man
02-27-2015, 06:53 PM
5 hours on the trainer.... there's no emoji for that.

2 is the absolute max for me, and anything over 75 minutes is getting rough, even with a good movie and a shot of bourbon.

But the weed thread has me thinking new thoughts....

velomonkey
02-27-2015, 06:58 PM
But the weed thread has me thinking new thoughts....

you and me both, brother - I already did the bourbon thing.

Ti Designs
02-27-2015, 08:11 PM
This winter I had the time to train like a pro, so I wrote up a training plan and stuck to it. Let's just stay I'm looking forward to spring...

kramnnim
02-27-2015, 10:47 PM
I've only done the 5 hour trainer ride once, it was last week. A group of 12-15 started together on Zwift, I think only 3-4 finished. Some only wanted to do a metric.

It was especially difficult since you can't spend much time coasting. I didn't get off, so it was like a 5 hour time trial.

weisan
02-28-2015, 06:01 AM
http://www.firstshowing.net/img/rocky-screening.jpg

marciero
02-28-2015, 06:50 AM
Since it's been a few days since it snowed last, and it's been cold enough to prevent melting, conditions are pretty dry out there. Was hoping to ride the newly-built (and clean) Hampsten I got here last month. But c'mon-it's -2 degrees. I can manage an hour or maybe two but just not fun. Really getting discouraged. The other bikes are full of crud-sand and salt. My commuter feels like a tank with the heavy sluggish snow tires. Maybe taking those off will cheer me up.

guido
02-28-2015, 07:11 AM
Now is our discontent of winter...
(Apologies to Shakespeare)

Gummee
02-28-2015, 07:21 AM
I don't have the fire in the belly to do trainer/roller workouts this year. Luckily, its been relatively clear here in the mid-atlantic. I *have* done many many 3.5hr+ rides on a trainer in the past. The secret is many people together sharing the pain. No one wants to be 'that guy.'

I've been getting out on the fixed gear a bunch this winter. Been getting out 1x week or so on the mtn bike.

I'm still fat and out of shape tho. ...but its coming around.

Can't wait for spring to spring.

M

jvp
02-28-2015, 07:43 AM
I work out at work...plus some riding on the occasional nice day.
https://scontent-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10952644_10152552718552132_6619233334131518265_n.p ng?oh=eee770714914d0d0f9ea0c119e889f78&oe=5578EC4E

marciero
02-28-2015, 07:49 AM
okay...now 10 degrees and sunny. I can deal with that...

Andreas
02-28-2015, 01:06 PM
okay...now 10 degrees and sunny. I can deal with that...

Nice - always warmer at the coast.

Matt - if you change your mind about riding outside tomorrow send mail

velomonkey
02-28-2015, 04:44 PM
Thought about going outside today, but we still have no room in the roads, plus the family and I had tickets to the UCONN game. So, hour 20 on the rollers. Moved it back to the basement and actually got a better ride.

I'm OK with base miles, base miles on rollers sucks. Intervals on rollers are much better, but whatever.

Dead Man
02-28-2015, 04:53 PM
It's 57F, bright blue sky, warm sun, dry..... And I'm stuck home with the kids.