PDA

View Full Version : OT: House of Cards gives me Anxiety

Shortsocks
02-26-2015, 01:12 PM
So this is an Off Topic, Topic.

In Dallas we had three days of Ice and Sleet, so it pretty much knocked Dallas on its ass..everything canceled, school and work.
So Mrs. Shortsocks and I decided to catch up on TV, and cuddle for a few days. Stay in Bed, Order in Thai make Ramin. Just catch up on some one and one.

We decided to watch the "House of Cards" series from NetFlix. We Just finished Season 1. And I've Decided that it gives me serious Anxiety. Its a very well made show, well written and shot, but Jeez. It really bothers me.

Kinda unnerves me. Is this how Washington is like, Do people suck this bad? One thing I have noticed is that NO ONE rides a bike. Maybe these people need to ride.
Does it bother anyone else? Btw, We just started season two. So No SPOILERS Please...In fact, Im really contemplated NOT finishing this series. Gets under my skin.

What do you guys think about this series?

ElvisMerckx
02-26-2015, 01:24 PM
I tried watching season 1 with my wife. She cried uncle after about 8 episodes and we stopped.

It was hard for us to relate when there wasn't a single decent, human, character on the show. Everyone's a reptile.

Well done show though.

45K10
02-26-2015, 01:30 PM
Love it! I am not a big TV show, in case Netflix show, watcher but I do enjoy House of Cards.

IMO Season 2 is better than Season 1 and Season 3 starts tomorrow :banana:

dustyrider
02-26-2015, 01:38 PM
His rowing machine is pretty sweet! Maybe that's season 2...
I usually lose interest in shows after a few seasons. I get bought into characters and they get written out, or new characters have me cringing and I turn away. I'll have to re-watch the last few episodes to see if I'm still invested enough to check out season 3. Visual media only keeps my attention when I've exhausted my physical energy, so napping occurs pretty regularly!

rcnute
02-26-2015, 01:41 PM
Try British version.

JasonF
02-26-2015, 01:53 PM
Never seen the show, but in undergrad I was an intern for a year at the office of a US Senator from my home state. This was 25 years ago.

The manufactured office politics, intrigue, power plays and massive egos has dwarfed anything I've seen since: and I work on Wall Street.

To top it off, the Senator was sleeping with a female intern (worst kept secret in the office) and so me and this other intern got all the s**t jobs while she did this, went there, etc, etc...

I resolved never to work in "public service" and get sick to my stomach when I think of the incredible waste of your tax dollars.

Seramount
02-26-2015, 01:55 PM
if a tv show can induce anxiety (or any other strong emotion), then that's at least an indication that the writers and actors are doing a decent job.

personally, I find HoC to be exceptionally good entertainment.

it doesn't bother me at all to see unlikable characters on screen...they're usually far more interesting that the typical good guy.

seanile
02-26-2015, 01:57 PM
His rowing machine is pretty sweet!

Though youd think theyd make sure he knew how to row before puttin him on it..

bcroslin
02-26-2015, 02:00 PM
Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Big fan of the show but thought season 2 went a bit off the rails. Looking forward to season 3.

Henrythewound
02-26-2015, 02:02 PM
I read somewhere that Netflix researched what demographic liked the original series and found they tended to like Kevin Spacey flicks so they built the show around him. We are in the middle of season 2

avalonracing
02-26-2015, 02:02 PM
But you HAVE to watch episode 1 of season 2. Trust me.

oldpotatoe
02-26-2015, 02:48 PM
THAT gives me anxiety. HoC, nope, not with Kevin. He's too familiar.

Vientomas
02-26-2015, 03:03 PM
Mr. and Mrs. Underwood are evil personified. Their characters are very well written and they act their parts well.

The events of Episode 1 of season 2 were quite a surprise. There aren't too many television shows or movies that have plot twists that surprise me. That's one of the reasons I enjoy H of C's.

Looking forward to tomorrow!

zap
02-26-2015, 03:32 PM
My wife and I just started watching the show 2 weeks ago. Next up for us is S1E5 so we have some catching up to do. So far we like it.

zzy
02-26-2015, 03:37 PM
I don't see them as being evil, rather utterly amoral master manipulators. Sociopaths. The kind of people who're often drawn into politics. I think it's a good commentary on our current combative political environment with career politicians who are willing to do or say anything to please their corporate paymasters, without regard for the people they are sworn to serve. The show is also a great representation of American freedom of expression - in many, MANY countries, such a portrayal of government would be swiftly removed from the air.

raygunner
02-26-2015, 04:27 PM
Firstly, the rowing machine is awesome! My gym at work has one and now I want one for my place.

Secondly, the 2nd season stunk. Way too fast paced & way too many plot lines buried or went undeveloped. But the whole Raymond Tusk character was great.

But what about Doug?! I mean, he can't be dead!

1happygirl
02-26-2015, 04:35 PM
hey, welcome to the HoC fold.
Some friends and I watched S1 and S2. I agree about S2 but had to take a break midway through S1 as it was too intense. Like, GoT (Game of Thrones) we all can't watch many episodes back to back. I like to take a break from the evil and then resume.

It is captivating. Some of my friends work with sociopaths and they totally believe these people and this stuff happens.

FWIW, I found HoC as, or more captivating than GoT. Also, we watched a couple of the original British HoC that the American series was based on.
The whole lot is evil.

drewski
02-26-2015, 04:40 PM

In Dallas we had three days of Ice and Sleet, so it pretty much knocked Dallas on its ass..everything canceled, school and work.
So Mrs. Shortsocks and I decided to catch up on TV, and cuddle for a few days. Stay in Bed, Order in Thai make Ramin. Just catch up on some one and one.

We decided to watch the "House of Cards" series from NetFlix. We Just finished Season 1. And I've Decided that it gives me serious Anxiety. Its a very well made show, well written and shot, but Jeez. It really bothers me.

Kinda unnerves me. Is this how Washington is like, Do people suck this bad? One thing I have noticed is that NO ONE rides a bike. Maybe these people need to ride.
Does it bother anyone else? Btw, We just started season two. So No SPOILERS Please...In fact, Im really contemplated NOT finishing this series. Gets under my skin.

Kevin Spacey is kind of amazing at taping into the dark spots of our culture.
I watched the british version which creeped me out and then started watching the
American version. After watching 1 of episode of House of Spacey it kind of zapped my interest on heavy stuff.

Dead Man
02-26-2015, 04:48 PM
I haven't seen the show, and I didn't read the thread... but I'll just add that I believe anyone in a federal political position, either democratically or appointed, has to have already sold their soul long ago to even get to that level. College level history and political science classes did me in a long time ago.

I have no faith in government. I thoroughly expect every one of them in a self-serving, fully corrupt, certifiable Cluster-B sociopath. I accept that, and don't care.

So news that this show accurately depicts that is refreshing. I'm still not watching it, though.

eBAUMANN
02-26-2015, 04:58 PM
I have no faith in government. I thoroughly expect every one of them in a self-serving, fully corrupt, certifiable Cluster-B sociopath. I accept that, and don't care.

Completely with you here and deliberately avoided the first season because of my own distaste for anything even remotely political/DC-centric.

That said, I finally caved after a recommendation from a friend...after a couple episodes, I was completely hooked, mostly because of Underwood as a character...a villain-as-protagonist that you root for is fairly uncommon and always gets me for some reason. Makes DC politics look like a game, everyone scheming and making deals...I dig it, makes for a quality drama.

Lookin forward to the 3rd season!

peanutgallery
02-26-2015, 05:14 PM
If you were ever naive enough to feel that the folks in Washington ever had the best intentions in mind for John Q Public... than I have a warehouse full of bio-pace to sell you. Local politics is even worse as they are complete amateurs about it. We've liked the show quite a bit and look forward each year to the release, the Mrs and I are both taking tomorrow off. Whole season being released at once is big, waiting a week for each episode is so 1980's

I like how Underwood breaks the fourth wall now and then - gives me a chuckle, reminds me of this guy
http://www.arsenalia.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/magnum_pi_tom_selleck.jpg

malbecman
02-26-2015, 05:33 PM
I love the show but yes, I just view it as good entertainment. Kevin Spacey is such a great actor.

If it's a little too much for you, I also enjoyed the Sesame Street spoof featuring "Frank Underwoof". :)

http://youtu.be/92NXMtVtv8o

(it's only ~4 min long)

makoti
02-26-2015, 06:15 PM
I have been watching this. Friends love it (say the British version is even more slimy), but I have trouble with it because NOBODY on the show is worth caring about. Maybe Claires photog friend or her assistant, but we never see them enough to matter.

mg2ride
02-26-2015, 06:42 PM

It is FICTION! As in not real, made up, pretend.

P.S. Scooby Doo can't really talk

1happygirl
02-26-2015, 06:43 PM
Frank Underwood. Totally clever.

Vientomas
02-26-2015, 06:58 PM
These are great.

rcnute
02-26-2015, 08:11 PM
Frank Underwood. Totally clever.

Even more clever since the original character had the same initials.

Ryan

tylerbick
02-26-2015, 08:32 PM
Season 3 starts tomorrow :banana:

What rock have I been living under?!? I had NO idea! I know what I'll be doing tomorrow night... Now if I could just decide what beer to get!

joosttx
02-26-2015, 08:35 PM
Since the OP Lives in Dallas I would like to know what the OP thought about the TV show Dallas. I reckon that was really unnerving being so close to home. :)

tylerbick
02-26-2015, 08:41 PM
If it's a little too much for you, I also enjoyed the Sesame Street spoof featuring "Frank Underwoof". :)

http://youtu.be/92NXMtVtv8o

Holy crap. That's AMAZING. I may have just woke the baby up laughing uncontrollably.

csm
02-26-2015, 08:44 PM
Ha. Just started watching season 1. Up to episode 3. I know what my weekend will consist of...
I watched Lillyhammer and Orange is the New black recently.
And Game of Thrones starts next month I think?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

cloudguy
02-26-2015, 08:59 PM
Its a modern day Shakespeare - not meant to be taken as real life but rather a machiavellian caricature of Washington. Things pretty much go off the rails towards the end of Season 2 - you'll see what I mean if you keep watching. My guess is that Frank goes down at the end of Season 3 - a three act play with a hopefully satisfying ending.

Now if you want to watch an even better show, see the History Channel's Vikings on Amazon Prime. I've never cared to watch Game of Thrones, but my guess is that Vikings is similar but based on actual history. Ragnar (the main character) is a friggin' bad-ass, in addition to his kick-ass wife! Watching the show makes me grateful that I was born in the 20th as opposed to 5th century.

Jaq
02-26-2015, 09:18 PM
Too lazy to read all the replies, so sorry if it's been said, but watch the original Brit version (based on a novel). It's great, and since it's about British pols, you don't have to think American pols suck so hard.

In my life I've known three representatives and one senator, the latter only in passing. They've been of disparate wealth, both parties, both sexes, and two races (Caucasian and Hispanic). They were all, without exception, decent, honorable, capable individuals in thankless jobs working long hours for constituents who don't like them much. That's not to say that there aren't bad apples in the bushel, but for the most part, my view is that most politicians are pretty much just like the rest of us.

but then, I tend to think people are pretty cool.

dustyrider
02-26-2015, 11:32 PM
Its a modern day Shakespeare - not meant to be taken as real life but rather a machiavellian caricature of Washington. Things pretty much go off the rails towards the end of Season 2 - you'll see what I mean if you keep watching. My guess is that Frank goes down at the end of Season 3 - a three act play with a hopefully satisfying ending.

Now if you want to watch an even better show, see the History Channel's Vikings on Amazon Prime. I've never cared to watch Game of Thrones, but my guess is that Vikings is similar but based on actual history. Ragnar (the main character) is a friggin' bad-ass, in addition to his kick-ass wife! Watching the show makes me grateful that I was born in the 20th as opposed to 5th century.

I'm current with Vikings been watching on Hulu. Another example of a show I'll
most likely lose interest in...I'm fully vested in floki and hope that Ragnar meets a fitting end. I mean given the context who wants to be a farmer when you've got complete and total madness on your side?!

Louis
02-26-2015, 11:42 PM
They were all, without exception, decent, honorable, capable individuals in thankless jobs working long hours for constituents who don't like them much.

I'm not so sure about that last part. Incumbents are reelected at a terrific rate.

I just did a quick web search and found that the reelection rate for congresspeople is above 95%. If folks hated them that much, they would presumably find someone they liked better. (It's the representatives of the other guy that they hate.) Of course if the system is rigged to favor incumbents (which it is, to a great extent) it might be easier said than done. Just the same, folks do like their guy.

cloudguy
02-26-2015, 11:55 PM
I'm fully vested in floki and hope that Ragnar meets a fitting end

Traitor!!!! You deserve a blood-eagle for that!

ps. I live in CO too. If you ever sleep at my place, feel free to jump in bed with me and the Mrs. :)

elong8
02-27-2015, 11:07 AM

We're also in Dallas, so I can attest to the polar shut down. My wife and I started that series during the ice as well. Her friend is throwing a House of Cards party tonight, so we had to be prepared I guess. I made it through one episode and then decided to go out and play mechanic in the garage. I disassembled and reassembled all of my random Campy bits because I recently scored a huge stack of old catalogs. I'm just not a tv guy. My wife, however, made it through all of the seasons/episodes in a matter of days. She says what some of you guys have said: it's a collection of the most vile characters imaginable, but compelling nonetheless. So tonight I'll go to this party and be the least informed/relevant person there. Maybe I'll talk about bikes!

joco
02-27-2015, 03:00 PM
Awesome show... all worth the anxiety. Just remember its a show.

unterhausen
02-27-2015, 04:16 PM
Try British version.

I want to go back and finish that. About a year ago, I got to the part where things got weird and had to stop

My understanding is that the Netflix version is a close copy of the BBC version. So the differences in the political system means that it wasn't easy. And they didn't really base it on reality. The political parts of the BBC version are pretty believable.

Shortsocks
02-28-2015, 01:39 PM
Damn me. We just finished Season 2. And now everything I watch on the news seems like so political Ploy to screw someone. :confused:

Season 3 started and My wife and I are going to start taking xanax to get through it. :banana:

Damn these writers are good. Putting me in a very awkward position. I totally like Kevin Spacey's character. Everyone in that show seems to suck as a morally ground human being, but then who am I to judge?
Damn it. The Snow in Dallas is starting to melt so we don't really have an excuse to watch season 3......

malbecman
03-06-2015, 05:40 PM
Sorry to resurrect this older post but just saw this great quote by Kevin Spacey
about the show:

"Obviously House of Cards is a fictional show...........because its about
a Congress that gets sh*t done". :banana::banana::banana:

zap
03-07-2015, 08:19 AM
Ha, thats pretty good.

We made some further progress into season 1. The show is getting pretty boring.

djg21
03-07-2015, 08:53 AM
I liked seasons 1 & 2. I binge-watched season 3 during a handful of trainer rides. It didn't do much for me.

Anarchist
03-07-2015, 10:06 AM
I don't see them as being evil, rather utterly amoral master manipulators. Sociopaths. The kind of people who're often drawn into politics. I think it's a good commentary on our current combative political environment with career politicians who are willing to do or say anything to please their corporate paymasters, without regard for the people they are sworn to serve. The show is also a great representation of American freedom of expression - in many, MANY countries, such a portrayal of government would be swiftly removed from the air.

Rather than a "great representation of American freedom of expression" it is a great example of that well trod path of American production companies lifting an idea (and even name) from a successful European TV series and making a lower quality, less witty version of it.

Much easier than being original.

Very little to do with "American freedom of expression" unless it is your view that Great Britain does that first and better.

Vientomas
03-07-2015, 10:07 AM
I agree with your assessment of season 3.

peanutgallery
03-07-2015, 03:30 PM
By the end of Season 3, Claire was really starting to annoy me