PDA

View Full Version : Training: unexpected time off

Too Tall
04-08-2006, 04:25 PM
Three weeks ago I raced and placed easily top 10 in a crit. Three weeks of very little riding and alot of hammering, moving plants and work on our mom-in-law suite I'm hard up against it. Patience is a virtue but boy does it hurt to lose ground on a GREAT season build up.

At the tender age of 49 (almost) I can not just jump back to big time VO2 workouts. It will take me more than a month to get back to where I was.

Ah well, there is a reason for everything...with the exception of too short stems and Janet Reno ;)

Spicoli
04-08-2006, 04:48 PM
Hey TT,

I'll bet that you did not lose a thing my tall bruudda. I will even go further and say that if you get a good couple of 79% or below rides in, the next race you do you will be a rocket ship! Think about the lactate free legs all ready to be fully loaded again! Three weeks never did anything to me but help me recover and freshen my legs up. One of my teamates takes a bunch of business trips throughout the year and always says "Oh I've been off a bit"(W/English accent) Then when he gets back, his "off" proceeds to tear people apart. He has no clue how often he is overtrained?

But then again I'll take any exuse to take it easy? Slacker Spicoli

Dr. Doofus
04-08-2006, 05:23 PM
on the other hand

the 4 weeks doof spent off the bike last June while his R7s were getting fixed killed him

cross trained and all, but...

doof's LT watts now are higher than his VO2 watts were last august; likewise, the top of his endurance/L2 watts zone is where the bottom of his LT watts were last August...

foodus suspects that the "great improvement" is due to the fact that he was in crappy shape when he got the power tap last year -- due to a month off.

slowgoing
04-08-2006, 06:01 PM
I'm off for two to three more weeks. Direct impact on inside ankle bone by baseball. I'm not so worried about fitness as I am about getting the swelling and black and blue color down.

Ginger
04-08-2006, 06:06 PM
I can understand the resignation. I have surgery scheduled for the knee this coming Thursday and while I had a good winter of training, it all seems for naught as the knee is going to take a while to rehab...*sigh*

On the positive side, I went out today and played in the mud on my mountain bike. :) The trail is thawed, it's just wet in the traditional spots that it's always wet in....yes...we're working on that. :)

znfdl
04-08-2006, 06:11 PM
Too Tall your stoker is patiently waiting :bike:

Tom
04-08-2006, 07:15 PM
Old injury not coming around or something new happen? Damn, just when it sounds like you're done with 'procedures' there's another one. I hope you rehab faster than they think you will. And I hope this is the last one for a while, a good long while. You deserve some time to have fun.

gasman
04-08-2006, 07:21 PM
Old injury not coming around or something new happen? Damn, just when it sounds like you're done with 'procedures' there's another one. I hope you rehab faster than they think you will. And I hope this is the last one for a while, a good long while. You deserve some time to have fun.

I agree. Ginger you've had too many injuries, you desrve better.
This is from an old injury to your kne isn't it ?

Sandy
04-08-2006, 07:32 PM
Too Tall your stoker is patiently waiting :bike:

Probably so. But it's not you. Rumors are that the Queen is taking over! :) :)

Stoker Sandy