PDA

View Full Version : Group Thoughts on Doing a Deal Through This Forum

DHallerman
02-24-2015, 08:06 PM
Just want to get the group thought about something here.

I approached someone who is on this forum about a deal, called him initially, left a voice mail message, and he called me back that evening.
I then sent him a follow-up email outlining what I'm thinking of.

Then he doesn't get back to me after several days.
So I send a second email, and again no response.
But perhaps my emails were landing in his spam filter, so I called him again, and left a voice mail message again.
And again, after several days, no response.

So now I'm thinking perhaps he is ill or had some family emergency or some other problem.

But then I see that he posted a couple of times this evening here, posts of nothing major, so his time can't be too crunched, I think.

So, what would you do?
Just forget about the deal?
Or be more patient than I'm feeling?
Or something else?

Dave, the curious one who has had many many many excellent experiences with all sorts of people here when doing various deals and exchanges so this one is very surprising

Tony T
02-24-2015, 08:23 PM
So, what would you do?
Just forget about the deal?
Or be more patient than I'm feeling?
Or something else?

I would forget about the deal.

AngryScientist
02-24-2015, 08:24 PM
i'd pass.

if he's not communicating now, you're just out a few minutes of your time. if he's not communicating after you've sent funds, your frustration level is potentially a lot higher. communication is key.

Ken Robb
02-24-2015, 08:26 PM
did he advertise something for sale?

dolface
02-24-2015, 08:28 PM
He's just not that into you. (My snarky way of saying drop it).

dustyrider
02-24-2015, 08:55 PM
It's not you; it's him. :)

Matt-H
02-24-2015, 09:09 PM
i'd pass.

if he's not communicating now, you're just out a few minutes of your time. if he's not communicating after you've sent funds, your frustration level is potentially a lot higher. communication is key.

^ this.

Black Dog
02-24-2015, 09:24 PM
Really bad form on his part for not getting back to you and telling you how he feels about the deal one way or the other. Walk away, and let him live with being the person who was not playing nice with others.

justinrchan
02-24-2015, 09:54 PM
Walk away. Even if he did come back wanting to offer the deal, I would be on edge of him following through.

kramnnim
02-24-2015, 10:06 PM
Yeah, be glad you didn't get to the money sending stage of the transaction.

eddief
02-24-2015, 10:10 PM
if you still want it and if he ever touches base, then you can make an updated decision. Sounds like it may involve some variables. Cover you bases, cover your arse.

R3awak3n
02-24-2015, 10:19 PM
Sounds like luck is on your side this time around.

pdmtong
02-24-2015, 10:51 PM
looks like you'll be adding another name to your ignore list.

run (dont walk) away and be glad you never sent funds.

DHallerman
02-25-2015, 06:17 AM
Thank you and you and you for all, and often similar, perspectives.

This situation may not be entirely simple, but I value communication a lot -- whether in business or personal situations -- and so its absence kinda drives me crazy.

And right around the time I originally posted this, one more ping from me to him DID get a response.

Funny stuff.

Dave, who says that even simple notes or calls that say "I'm busy, I'm away, I'll get back to you" are often enough

malbecman
02-25-2015, 09:35 AM
I agree 100%.....even a simple "I'm real busy and will get back to you" or "Sorry, I've changed my mind" is waaaay better than total silence. That, to me, indicates low interest or lack of respect for doing business.

ergott
02-25-2015, 10:32 AM
Just to add some information to this.

We spoke last week and I was waiting to get updated prices on one of the components discussed (Open Pro rims).

After that there was no communication because I was trying to get home from my vacation in Texas. It started Saturday with me boarding the connecting flight in Dallas with my son only to have the flight cancelled. We deboarded and I got on the phone with Southwest to make arrangements. Next available flight was Monday morning. Now I have to secure lodging.

I'm on the phone dealing with hotel arrangements and rescheduling my flight 4 times. The motel's wifi doesn't work so I had to use my data the whole time. I also have my son with me so I'm keeping him company through all this and making sure he keeps a positive outlook.

I wake up a 3am on Monday only to find that my 8am flight is cancelled (ice in Dallas), but I can get a later flight around 6pm. I still have to check out at 11am so that means going to the airport and waiting there. Dallas doesn't handle slush very well and public transportation was out. Had to take a cab.

I get home around midnight on Monday and decide to stay home with my son on Tuesday. He was incredible during this whole ordeal.

Tuesday comes and I'm not only catching up with everything at home, I have to make sure I get my son caught up with missing school work. I get upstairs to my shop and start working and took some time to unwind including checking in on the forum (truing stand talk). That's when I get the most recent email from you and finally replied. I apologized for the delay and gave you the short version of the above reason for not getting back sooner.

I first noticed this thread today and thought a little more information was needed. I have no problem letting people I'm the other party.

Again, sorry for not getting back to you when you expected. I tried texting your phone when you called me, but you called from a landline (my text got bumped back to me).

I just hope that people who responded above understand that a lot can happen in a few days.

572cv
02-25-2015, 11:23 AM
Everyone is so used to the crisp movement of goods and people that we forget about the weather. Here in the Northeast, I tried traveling in early Feb, and the flights were shut down for days. I'm expecting something from a forumite, and we can see that it is still in transit, but it ain't gonna make the delivery date of 2/20 at this point....;)
My experience with Paceline deals is that if there is a communication issue, there's a reason you haven't thought of behind it.

makoti
02-25-2015, 11:30 AM
Everyone is so used to the crisp movement of goods and people that we forget about the weather. Here in the Northeast, I tried traveling in early Feb, and the flights were shut down for days. I'm expecting something from a forumite, and we can see that it is still in transit, but it ain't gonna make the delivery date of 2/20 at this point....;)
My experience with Paceline deals is that if there is a communication issue, there's a reason you haven't thought of behind it.

Yeah, even my Amazon Prime ain't so prime with all this. Taking days longer than normal.
I've dealt with Eric. Was super impressed with how helpful he was & I didn't even buy from him. If he's the guy, I'd give him another shot.

Shortsocks
02-25-2015, 11:32 AM
i'd pass.

Extremely well said. + 1

DHallerman
02-25-2015, 11:33 AM
In my initial and second posts above, I was very careful not to indicate anything at all about the person, or the type of item (wheels), that was in question. None of you knew, I would think.

This thread was not about an individual, but about a situation.

And the timing indicated in Eric's post above is not what my details have, but on an individual level, that's beside the point.

Dave, who thinks the specifics are only between him and Eric and any individual elements are not best for a group discussion

pdmtong
02-25-2015, 12:16 PM
looks like you'll be adding another name to your ignore list.

run (dont walk) away and be glad you never sent funds.

opinion based on OP provided information

In my initial and second posts above, I was very careful not to indicate anything at all about the person, or the type of item (wheels), that was in question. None of you knew, I would think.

This thread was not about an individual, but about a situation.

And the timing indicated in Eric's post above is not what my details have, but on an individual level, that's beside the point.

Dave, who thinks the specifics are only between him and Eric and any individual elements are not best for a group discussion

In the future I'll avoid wading into these discussions unless all information - asks, promises, due dates, expectations are on the table. Yes, universal agreement that communication is key,

At this point I can only say hats off to the OP for using a phone instead of just relying on pm or email, and looks like the two of you will need to work it out.

DHallerman
02-25-2015, 12:30 PM
At this point I can only say hats off to the OP for using a phone instead of just relying on pm or email, and looks like the two of you will need to work it out.

Final note.

Eric and I spoke on the phone.

We both understand each other's POV better now.

All is good.

And thank you all here for perspectives.
Life is never that simple, is it...

Dave, who even after he gets the first wheelset Eric will build for him still needs to get his engine back in shape to use those wheels properly

rugbysecondrow
02-25-2015, 01:06 PM
Having been on a trip like that before, I empathize.

It seems important to remember that on a forum like this, we are dealing with people. People who have different schedules, obligations, commitments etc. Sometimes it takes a few days for things to shake loose.

The rush to judgement with such limited information is surprising.

Just to add some information to this.

We spoke last week and I was waiting to get updated prices on one of the components discussed (Open Pro rims).

After that there was no communication because I was trying to get home from my vacation in Texas. It started Saturday with me boarding the connecting flight in Dallas with my son only to have the flight cancelled. We deboarded and I got on the phone with Southwest to make arrangements. Next available flight was Monday morning. Now I have to secure lodging.

I'm on the phone dealing with hotel arrangements and rescheduling my flight 4 times. The motel's wifi doesn't work so I had to use my data the whole time. I also have my son with me so I'm keeping him company through all this and making sure he keeps a positive outlook.

I wake up a 3am on Monday only to find that my 8am flight is cancelled (ice in Dallas), but I can get a later flight around 6pm. I still have to check out at 11am so that means going to the airport and waiting there. Dallas doesn't handle slush very well and public transportation was out. Had to take a cab.

I get home around midnight on Monday and decide to stay home with my son on Tuesday. He was incredible during this whole ordeal.

Tuesday comes and I'm not only catching up with everything at home, I have to make sure I get my son caught up with missing school work. I get upstairs to my shop and start working and took some time to unwind including checking in on the forum (truing stand talk). That's when I get the most recent email from you and finally replied. I apologized for the delay and gave you the short version of the above reason for not getting back sooner.

I first noticed this thread today and thought a little more information was needed. I have no problem letting people I'm the other party.

Again, sorry for not getting back to you when you expected. I tried texting your phone when you called me, but you called from a landline (my text got bumped back to me).

I just hope that people who responded above understand that a lot can happen in a few days.